Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six month terms?
I'm curious about what graduate level programs (masters or doctoral) have ~six month (or longer?) terms.  So far from the forum I've seen South College DBA, EDD and WGU Masters.  I'm personally probably going to do a program that is related to information tech, business or public administration/affairs/policy or similar, but I'm still curious if there are others out there. Doesn't necessarily have to be an all you can eat for six months either.
The Open University in the UK (regionally accredited) has six-month modules (typically Nov. to Apr. and May to Oct.)
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • Pikachu
UMass Global has 6-month terms. But they only have the MAOL. From what I've heard, UMPI's MAOL is less work, though UMPI's sessions are only 2 months long.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
NAU has 6 month terms as well
It really depends on how you want to plan your studies, since you don't need it to be specifically 6 months or a specific price range, you may want to review what options that are available as Competency Based on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-20-2022, 07:52 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: The Open University in the UK (regionally accredited) has six-month modules (typically Nov. to Apr. and May to Oct.)

This is actually really interesting.  It looks like they have 15, 30,60,90 and 120 hr modules that vary in length from 5-6 months to a year long.  Some of their masters look like they are two big modules and you're done.
(09-20-2022, 10:25 PM)spohara Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 07:52 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: The Open University in the UK (regionally accredited) has six-month modules (typically Nov. to Apr. and May to Oct.)

This is actually really interesting.  It looks like they have 15, 30,60,90 and 120 hr modules that vary in length from 5-6 months to a year long.  Some of their masters look like they are two big modules and you're done.

UK universities are based on a modular format instead of a class format. A module has the contents of multiple classes wrapped up inside it. So, for example, if you took a module called principles of economics it would have micro, macro, math for economists, and applied economics or intro game theory classes all packaged up into one "thing" (I only use economics as an example because I have taught it).

It only works because we don't really do electives. Most courses have a set program of study. So they take all the classes or content for one term, put it together, and call it a module.

Some students prefer the American system because you get more assessment opportunities. Most modules are examined with a singular multi-hour handwritten exam, with no midterms. So you can imagine it like if your grades for 4 or so American classes all hinged on your performance in one exam that solely determined your GPA. On the other hand, it's nice if you can find a coursework or project-based masters since then your final assessment will be papers where you can tie in stuff from across all the classes inside a module, rather than only being restricted to one.
(09-20-2022, 10:25 PM)spohara Wrote:

This is similar to the structure at the University of London
https://www.london.ac.uk/courses

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 347 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recent wgu msml review - 6 month masters Clepking100 4 2,286 02-27-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Clepking100
  Biology Everywhere: UC-Boulder/Coursera: $49/month and $80/credit hour eriehiker 5 1,267 09-08-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Short terms? Transfer/alt credits? Ideas 0 932 10-13-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Anyone Heard About Walden's Competency Program - Tempo Learning $199 per month Saharapost 22 11,031 01-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  12-Month Master's Programs HoosierStateStudent 1 863 01-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Patten University MBA $349/month discounted tuition TheCommuter 3 1,488 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Last Post: TheCommuter