Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six-week classes
Have you ever taken a class that used a highly-compressed structure? If so, what did you think about it?

If given the choice, I'd rather take a class with a 14- or 16-week format, because it gives me more flexibility in choosing classes, a better opportunity to digest new material, and a chance to work ahead instead of always submitting assignments right before the deadline - especially if team projects are involved.

While I strongly disliked 6-week classes (even for an otherwise easy class, it's too much work in too short a time, giving you no slack time on assignments), 8-week classes can work nicely for nontechnical topics.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
I had a five-week online class for Trigonometry, thinking it being online and short would mean it'll be easy.

It's the only class I have a B for so far (missed the cutoff by 1%); it was insanely stressful, as I just got hired at my full-time job at the time, there was always something to submit every evening, and an exam at the end of the week. Even though it was at your own pace, it was insanely quick for me, and something I never want to do again.

Ashford University also does 5-week online classes regularly apparently; that said, with their reputation I'm not going to recommend them. They seem to be a really easy school though, from the military point of view (based on what my coworkers tell me, at any rate).
I've taken several 3 week classes, mostly during the Christmas holidays. I greatly prefer getting something over with quickly. I always took two at once. I'd take one 3 hour class at one school and another 3 hour class at another school because the per school enrollment limit was 3 hours in 3 weeks. Once I took a self-paced course and finished it in one very long day.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I am in a 12 week class right now that is killing me. I prefer to focus on one short class at a time and get it over with.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I don't even like 12 week classes lol I've taken three 12 week classes at the same and two of the classes were fine but the third class was College Algebra and it was brutal. Just as I was starting to grasp a concept we would have an exam and move on to the next concept. Studying for the Biology CLEP and cramming it into 4 weeks was easier lol If I had to do a 6 week class I would only do one at a time.
61 - American Government CLEP - May '14
64 - Biology CLEP - June '14
67 - US History I CLEP - July '14
60 - US History II CLEP - January '15

63 credits toward my degree so far!
I took multiple 5.5-week courses at Colorado Technical University. I hated them. We had way too much busy work. I took a 3-week course in Business Law at one of the Alamo Community Colleges. It wasn't too bad. All of the courses for my master's program were 8 weeks. I took two at a time, and I didn't think they were too bad.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Generally I much prefer condensed classes. I stopped the MAIS at western New Mexico State precisely because I got bored to death in the 16 week classes. Self paced is even better....sometimes nothing fixes my mind like just forgetting the whole thing for a few weeks!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I'm currently enrolled in two 15 week classes, and they are the worst online classes I've ever taken. I prefer 8 week courses.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
I've taken 8-week classes and I absolutely loved them. If I have a choice I prefer a condensed class.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
With my ADD? The shorter, the better. Except for math. I hate math. You could not present it in a short enough time for me not to want to shoot myself.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
  PowerBi Classes ashkir 0 346 01-25-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  onlinedegree.com free classes? ece2001biz 6 918 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Any cheap of free Physical Education classes out there? mdel210201 4 817 09-12-2022, 11:47 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Free Non Credit Italian Classes from Wellesley College lisarox 1 538 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Online course / hours per week katsiki 6 985 03-31-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: katsiki
  Saylor Proctoring $5 for all classes now! bjcheung77 18 2,640 03-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Studying on a Schedule, week by week RedBeardVII 11 1,295 10-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: wow
  ACE credit for culinary classes on Sur la Table Vle045 4 896 06-24-2021, 10:34 AM