Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So just how bad IS Saylor?
My timeline for beginning my WGU BSCSIA degree got pushed back by a month or two (due to a new job--good problem to have), so I'm having to make some adjustments to my transfer-in plan. I'm actually looking at the few Saylor courses that would transfer in for classes I need and am considering giving them a try just to save some money and maybe some time. However, I know their reputation around these parts, so I figure I'd ask about them in general and about the specific courses in question, being...
  • PHIL102: Critical Thinking
  • ENGL210: Technical Writing
  • MA121: Introduction to Statistics OR BUS204: Business Statistics
So, what makes them so bad? Generally or specifically to the above courses (if anyone knows).
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
[-] The following 1 user Likes raekwon's post:
  • carrythenothing
They have 100% weightage in the final exam which makes them very harder to complete. Also, they are not open book. They are good only if you actually wants to learn the subject but not for completing the degree.
I don't have experience with those specific courses, but I've completed Saylor Academy courses mostly as challenge exams (i.e., not by going through the entire course).

The credit recommendation for Introduction to Statistics expires at the end of this month, but it could be renewed again (it was in 2019). The others won't expire for another few months.

Technical Writing is supposed to be aligned with the TECEP exam at TESU: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/o...rse-option
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
I have done the certificates on Saylor but haven’t tried the tests for credit. I do have my eyes on a few of them…. Especially for the price. The way I look at it is… if I pass, then I have some cheap credits. If not, then maybe it will serve as a study tool so that if/when I have to take the course elsewhere, i will have some more familiarity with the subject.
MBA, BA 
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Get an additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(03-12-2022, 07:41 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: "The credit recommendation for Introduction to Statistics expires at the end of this month, but it could be renewed again (it was in 2019). The others won't expire for another few months."
The question that arises here is that if one completes ACE approved credit (Saylor, or Sophia for that matter) before the expiry date, would they still be valid and transferable ?
I understand that it may depend on an institution's policy, but could someone clarify if they've successfully transferred expired Saylor ACE credit.
(03-12-2022, 08:11 AM)poly Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 07:41 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: "The credit recommendation for Introduction to Statistics expires at the end of this month, but it could be renewed again (it was in 2019). The others won't expire for another few months."
The question that arises here is that if one completes ACE approved credit (Saylor, or Sophia for that matter) before the expiry date, would they still be valid and transferable ?
I understand that it may depend on an institution's policy, but could someone clarify if they've successfully transferred expired Saylor ACE credit.

As long as you completed the course while it had an active ACE recommendation, it would be valid.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Saylor is mucho harder than CLEPs.

For CLEP's the passing scoring isn't 70%, it's closer to 50%.

I have passed CLEPs easy scoring a scaled score in the 60's and then taken a practice test on Saylor on the same subject and failed scoring in the mid 60's.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(03-12-2022, 09:43 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Saylor is mucho harder than CLEPs.

For CLEP's the passing scoring isn't 70%, it's closer to 50%.

I have passed CLEPs easy scoring a scaled score in the 60's and then taken a practice test on Saylor on the same subject and failed scoring in the mid 60's.

I was thinking to take Calculus from Saylor and its is very hard to pass you need to master the subject to score a 70.
One thing is that you study a lot and at the end in a couple on months you forget the stuff, you need to keep reviewing it constantly or be working in that area to maintain that knowledge.
Im studying computer science and I see that a Bachelor degree has nonsense courses like History, Politics, psychology, sociology, a bunch of stuff I don't need for a Computer Career in Latin America they focus straight to your career path this is a waste of time and money.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-12-2022, 10:55 AM)gams007 Wrote: 1. I was thinking to take Calculus from Saylor and its is very hard to pass you need to master the subject to score a 70.
Take this course at SL. Refer to my hat if you have any questions about my recommendation.

2. One thing is that you study a lot and at the end in a couple on months you forget the stuff, you need to keep reviewing it constantly or be working in that area to maintain that knowledge.
That's called the forgetting curve. Note you never really forget things, you just can't retrieve your stored memory after a period of time of inactive use.

3. Im studying computer science and I see that a Bachelor degree has none sence courses like History, Politics, psychology, sociology, a bunch of stuff I don't need for a Computer Career in Latin America they focus straight to your career path this is a waste of time and money.

Not easy to explain but it's not all nonsense. In your career at some point there are going to be questions like "why people do the things they do", and "how do I communciate with people better." These questions can't be solved on pure analytical ability alone.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • JannikT, mohelena02, ss20ts
Saylor courses and exams aren't really that great or bad, they're similar to TECEPS as you really need to know the material because it's all on that one exam to get a pass. If you know the material, it won't be an issue at all, depending on your degree requirements, this is a great option to get credits on the cheap...

You can use the material they provide you for a quick review or relearn somethings that you aren't too familiar with... I like the fact they have the practice final exam to "gauge" where you're at to see if you're prepared or not. I would take them for credit for courses not offered elsewhere for alternative credit.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 509 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,650 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Saylor BIO101 Notes Request axelblaze77 5 610 08-24-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,480 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Saylor Vent Lima845 4 919 06-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Saylor Academy is very slow Leo Wu 2 1,217 06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study resources for Saylor courses Personherebb9 0 774 12-05-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Personherebb9
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,433 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Initial Saylor exam test experiment vetvso 15 2,632 11-15-2022, 10:55 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Saylor Study & common degrees it's used for vetvso 4 894 09-24-2022, 11:20 PM