Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is wrong with Study.com's Western Civ 1
Specifically Chapter 8, Lesson 10, dealing with the Crusades. 

"The Crusades had a profound impact on Western civilization. Western society had to come to terms with its clear inferiority to the advanced cultures of the East"

"Holy warfare became the will of God, the duty of every Christian."

"Rather than feeling guilty about murdering people, Crusaders came to expect heavenly rewards for murdering people. The indulgences, or get-out-of-hell-free cards, that the Pope granted to crusading knights can be seen in much the same light as the 72 virgins promised to suicide bombers with Jihad."

"Yet, in many ways, the medieval crusades were far worse than anything attempted by modern religious terrorists."

"If Urban had hoped to bring about peace in Europe by promoting xenophobia, or the fear and hatred of foreigners, he must have been sorely disappointed, for in the years that followed, Europe became an ever more violent place"

It goes on like that, but suffice it to say that there is something wrong with whoever wrote this chapter. Its not just stated to be deliberately inflammatory whenever possible, its also poor history. Urban's main goal in calling the first Crusade was the re-unification of the Western and Eastern churches, the liberation of areas of the East belonging to the Eastern church, as well as the return of Jerusalem to Christian control, for instance. Not "xenophobia". 

and obviously "every" Christian wasn't called to holy warfare, no one could possibly believe that. The elderly too? the children too? the women too? etc

Anyway, I submitted a ticket but just thought I would say something here too. I don't know how they let this stuff get published. 
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(02-18-2018, 06:57 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Specifically Chapter 8, Lesson 10, dealing with the Crusades. 

"The Crusades had a profound impact on Western civilization. Western society had to come to terms with its clear inferiority to the advanced cultures of the East"

"Holy warfare became the will of God, the duty of every Christian."

"Rather than feeling guilty about murdering people, Crusaders came to expect heavenly rewards for murdering people. The indulgences, or get-out-of-hell-free cards, that the Pope granted to crusading knights can be seen in much the same light as the 72 virgins promised to suicide bombers with Jihad."

"Yet, in many ways, the medieval crusades were far worse than anything attempted by modern religious terrorists."

"If Urban had hoped to bring about peace in Europe by promoting xenophobia, or the fear and hatred of foreigners, he must have been sorely disappointed, for in the years that followed, Europe became an ever more violent place"

It goes on like that, but suffice it to say that there is something wrong with whoever wrote this chapter. Its not just stated to be deliberately inflammatory whenever possible, its also poor history. Urban's main goal in calling the first Crusade was the re-unification of the Western and Eastern churches, the liberation of areas of the East belonging to the Eastern church, as well as the return of Jerusalem to Christian control, for instance. Not "xenophobia". 

and obviously "every" Christian wasn't called to holy warfare, no one could possibly believe that. The elderly too? the children too? the women too? etc

Anyway, I submitted a ticket but just thought I would say something here too. I don't know how they let this stuff get published. 

I applaud you for speaking up. I wouldn't have thought to open a ticket to have this corrected, so extra kudos for thinking creatively  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sapientes's post:
  • jsh1138
well i've submitted several tickets on stuff like this but have yet to see any of it actually get changed so i dont even know if its doing anything but hopefully it is
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,275 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,468 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,575 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 277 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 680 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM