Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia APA Question
Does anyone know which version of APA Sophia goes by? I keep getting dinged on my APA references. I'm using APA 7 which came out last year. I am wondering if they are still using APA 6.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ms_butterfly
I have no idea, but you can email and ask them or write in the document which version of APA did you use.

Does this help you?:
https://www.sophia.org/tutorials/apa-bib...ral-format
Good question

In the bottom part of Touchstones they give three APA sources links

The first and second one: "Purdue Online Writing Lab's APA Formatting and Style Guide" and "Frequently Asked Questions About APA Style" refers to APA 7th edition

In the other hand the 3rd source: "APA Style: Quick Answers—References", refers to APA 6th edition

APA 6 and APA 7 differences are not as big i think...
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-29-2020, 07:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Does anyone know which version of APA Sophia goes by? I keep getting dinged on my APA references. I'm using APA 7 which came out last year. I am wondering if they are still using APA 6.

I got dinged on it a bit as well, then I decided..who cares?

Bottom line, the credits come in as CR not a grade, and not using whatever APA format they (or study.com) exactly how whoever is grading them wants, who you can't talk to to get an idea, is such a small % of the grade that it won't affect my final grade enough to matter , if the grade mattered, when in fact all that REALLY matters is a pass.

If your grades are so close to 70% that a ding on using a APA format that isn't the APA they want, I would think more effort on the rest would be a better investment than worrying too much about the APA stuff.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • ms_butterfly, Pikachu
I think it is likely they are using APA6. The updates in 7 are de minimus, the most significant being the elimination of the absurdly redundant “retrieved from” verbiage for electronic sources.

I agree with the others suggesting that it doesn’t matter. I understand, as a matter of pride, wishing to receive as high a mark as possible but the point of these pass/fail alternatives is improving the speed and cost of credentialing. So take your pass and keep moving.
[-] The following 2 users Like tallpilot's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(08-30-2020, 10:19 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: Good question

In the bottom part of Touchstones they give three APA sources links

The first and second one: "Purdue Online Writing Lab's APA Formatting and Style Guide" and "Frequently Asked Questions About APA Style" refers to APA 7th edition

In the other hand the 3rd source: "APA Style: Quick Answers—References", refers to APA 6th edition

APA 6 and APA 7 differences are not as big i think...

There are some big differences between 6 and 7. One of them is when there's 20 or more authors. The formatting has changed so you don't list all of the authors. I got dinged on this yesterday.

The Purdue Owl links Sophia includes are not consistent. One is APA 6 and one is APA 7. I will check with them on the chat when it's open during the week.

(08-30-2020, 09:10 AM)Kab Wrote: I have no idea, but you can email and ask them or write in the document which version of APA did you use.

Does this help you?:
https://www.sophia.org/tutorials/apa-bib...ral-format

This doesn't say which APA to use.

(08-30-2020, 11:00 AM)tallpilot Wrote: I think it is likely they are using APA6. The updates in 7 are de minimus, the most significant being the elimination of the absurdly redundant “retrieved from” verbiage for electronic sources.

I agree with the others suggesting that it doesn’t matter. I understand, as a matter of pride, wishing to receive as high a mark as possible but the point of these pass/fail alternatives is improving the speed and cost of credentialing. So take your pass and keep moving.

I'm not just trying to pass though. I take pride in my grades. I have lost several points over this APA thing. It's driving me nuts. My transcripts to show a grade from Sophia not a pass/fail.
(08-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: There are some big differences between 6 and 7. One of them is when there's 20 or more authors. The formatting has changed so you don't list all of the authors. I got dinged on this yesterday.

The Purdue Owl links Sophia includes are not consistent. One is APA 6 and one is APA 7. I will check with them on the chat when it's open during the week.

I never check in deep the differences between APA 6 & 7, but to cite a 20 or more authors article is pretty rare; actually, 20 or more authors source (book, article, etc) are extremly rare. I remember a specific physic paper about weird issue that include 100+ authors, but again, it is so strange.

In the other hand, i use APA 6 when i wrote my Sophia papers, i didn't get any feedback in my refernce section, i think as students learning propouse, the reference section may include a similar-APA style that include the main information of the source "Authors, year, title, source, number, volume, etc", but they don't go so deep on the references details.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
I understand wanting to do as well as you can in a course. I hate getting anything below a 90 in Sophia courses. But, even if your school transcript shows the grade, pretty much nobody is ever going to see/care what you got for a particular Sophia course. From other posts elsewhere here, it probably won't matter even if you are trying to get into grad school. ACE credits just don't count.
(08-30-2020, 01:43 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote: There are some big differences between 6 and 7. One of them is when there's 20 or more authors. The formatting has changed so you don't list all of the authors. I got dinged on this yesterday.

I never check in deep the differences between APA 6 & 7, but to cite a 20 or more authors article is pretty rare; actually, 20 or more authors source (book, article, etc) are extremly rare. I remember a specific physic paper about weird issue that include 100+ authors, but again, it is so strange.

In the other hand, i use APA 6 when i wrote my Sophia papers, i didn't get any feedback in my refernce section, i think as students learning propouse, the reference section may include a similar-APA style that include the main information of the source "Authors, year, title, source, number, volume, etc", but they don't go so deep on the references details.

Oh I know it's rare. I have a journal article that has something like 30 authors. Kind of crazy. I am going to switch to APA 6 with my next paper and see if that changes the complaints on my references. I use a APA citation generator and have for quite awhile. i've never been marked off for my references in the past. That's what's so confusing. I wrote papers weekly at CSU Global and was never marked off for the way my citations were done. That's why I think they aren't using APA 7. Wish they would make it clear on Sophia which APA they're using. The 20 author thing isn't the only change. 

https://owll.massey.ac.nz/referencing/ap...dition.php

Key changes at a glance

• Et al.: “et al.” is used in the first in-text citation for works with three or more authors.

• Up to 20 authors cited: In the reference list, give the surnames and initials for up to 20 authors.

• Website names: Website names are now included as well as the webpage title.

• Publication location: The location of the publisher (i.e., city, country/state code) is no longer required.

• Ebook publisher: You no longer need to give the platform, format, or device (e.g., Kindle) for ebooks, but you do need give the publisher.

• "Retrieved from": You no longer need to write “Retrieved from” before a URL.

• DOIs: DOIs are formatted the same as URLs. You do not need to write "DOI."

[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ms_butterfly, Pikachu
(08-30-2020, 11:59 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 11:00 AM)tallpilot Wrote: I think it is likely they are using APA6. The updates in 7 are de minimus, the most significant being the elimination of the absurdly redundant “retrieved from” verbiage for electronic sources.

I'm not just trying to pass though. I take pride in my grades. I have lost several points over this APA thing. It's driving me nuts. My transcripts to show a grade from Sophia not a pass/fail.

I understand.  I'm waiting for my last physics lab to be graded and it will determine if I get an A or an A-.  I will be irritated if I end up with the -.  Rachel is correct though.  You are the only one who will ever care.

If it bothers you so much, may I suggest using SDC for courses with APA citing requirements?  Then you can resubmit if you get dinged.  I find the whole concept obnoxiously capricious though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 9 212 1 hour ago
Last Post: allvia
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 749 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,030 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,214 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 278 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 630 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 892 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 868 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 329 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle