Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Algebra
I think that there are multiple typos in this course that are making it more difficult for me to understand what's going on. Since I haven't needed to do academic algebra in a while, I thought it was just me and my reading comprehension. But I think it's that + unclear explanations (in some cases) + typos. Example:

Quote:Whenever we are working with the exponents, taking the appropriate radical will always cancel out the exponent operation. That is to say, if a number is raised to the power of a, we can cancel out the exponent by taking the resulting value and taking the a-th root of the result. This is the same as raising the the resulting number to a fractional exponent. For example, if we have 74, in order to cancel out the exponent 4 we would have to take the 4th root of 74 which is the same as raising 74 to the ¼ power. This is shown below:

[Image: formula.png?1538156803]

74 is clearly not the same as 7 to the power of 4, though I can see how that could be a typo. At this rate, I may wind up getting the math books from Humble Bundle and using those to study for Sophia.
Report the questions, there is a small link to do so.
I'm not sure if this is available for college algebra, but a lot of sophia courses allow you to switch teachers.
(04-29-2020, 08:30 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Report the questions, there is a small link to do so.
I'm not sure if this is available for college algebra, but a lot of sophia courses allow you to switch teachers.

The other ones are videos. I don't want videos. I learn math better by reading. So it's this, Humble Bundle, or I just remembered I signed up for the two free months of ALEKS. I've only done a little in ALEKS but I like it much better (so far) than Sophia. 

I shared some screenshots with someone who knows/remembers way more math stuff than I do and they complained that steps are being skipped in the explanations. Problem is, I'm too rusty on this stuff to make a proper complaint about what's wrong and why.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Yikes, I just started this course and math is my weakest subject. I'm hoping there are not too many examples like this one lurking in their course material or I'll have a heck of a time passing it LOL! Best of luck to you Smile
(04-29-2020, 08:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 08:30 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: Report the questions, there is a small link to do so.

The other ones are videos. I don't want videos. I learn math better by reading. So it's this, Humble Bundle, or I just remembered I signed up for the two free months of ALEKS. I've only done a little in ALEKS but I like it much better (so far) than Sophia. 

I shared some screenshots with someone who knows/remembers way more math stuff than I do and they complained that steps are being skipped in the explanations. Problem is, I'm too rusty on this stuff to make a proper complaint about what's wrong and why.

That is excellent feedback: "steps are missing, can't follow" "typos make it unclear"
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • rachel83az
(04-29-2020, 08:40 AM)Diana321 Wrote: Yikes, I just started this course and math is my weakest subject.  I'm hoping there are not too many examples like this one lurking in their course material or I'll have a heck of a time passing it LOL!  Best of luck to you Smile

I highly recommend signing up for the two free months of ALEKS (I think the offer expires tomorrow). I signed up as myself with myself as the student. Even if I'm not able to get ACE credit this way, the examples are very clear and easy to understand. And ALEKS will get my money in a couple of months so I can get Trig or Precalc and one of the stats offerings as ACE credit.
(04-29-2020, 08:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 08:40 AM)Diana321 Wrote: Yikes, I just started this course and math is my weakest subject.  I'm hoping there are not too many examples like this one lurking in their course material or I'll have a heck of a time passing it LOL!  Best of luck to you Smile

I highly recommend signing up for the two free months of ALEKS (I think the offer expires tomorrow). I signed up as myself with myself as the student. Even if I'm not able to get ACE credit this way, the examples are very clear and easy to understand. And ALEKS will get my money in a couple of months so I can get Trig or Precalc and one of the stats offerings as ACE credit.

Thanks for the tip!  I will check into that now.  My original plan was to use Khan Academy as a refresher while taking the Sophia course to get credit for College Algebra (working towards BSBA at TESU).  I definitely need all of the clear-cut examples I can get.
Khan Academy is good but I do tend to get bored/distracted with videos, so I try to keep them to a minimum. If you like videos, that's fine. I know some people learn better with videos. I usually learn better by reading/doing.
(04-29-2020, 08:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Depending on the type of course, sometimes reading helps me, sometimes videos are the trick. While videos don't normally work for you, might I second the suggestion to use them? With my Sophia videos, some of the instructors prepared the PDFs and teach from them. It would seem to me - and I could be wrong - that when one of them works through the problem on a video he or she would spot the error and clarify. The videos are indexed, so you wouldn't have to watch the whole thing to see if the problem was fixed or better explained in the video.
(04-29-2020, 09:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Khan Academy is good but I do tend to get bored/distracted with videos, so I try to keep them to a minimum. If you like videos, that's fine. I know some people learn better with videos. I usually learn better by reading/doing.
I took this course.

Unlike many on here that attempt to speed through courses just to gain credit, I wanted to make sure I learned the material because I'll be taking calculus in the near future.

This course took me 42 days at ~ 8 hours per week. I filled up an entire three-subject note book with notes, practice problems and milestones.

I used the provided text exclusively; I didn't watch the videos.

I think I spotted two typos during the course, and I had to go to an outside source for additional support on understanding a concept twice (I just used google both times).

With that said, it's entirely possible to learn the material using a text-only approach.
[-] The following 4 users Like terryd5150's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, harrypotter, rachel83az, RizP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 295 7 hours ago
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 762 Yesterday, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,158 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,247 Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 300 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 635 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 895 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 875 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 335 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle