Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Course Format Differences
Months ago I did the Sophia courses both free and paid. Now they have the special going on and I"m unemployed I thought I'd check out some more them. I noticed a difference in format between the new and old courses.

Old Format: 3 attempts to answer each question. Some of the questions are matching or true/false of multiple statements. There is an underlying story that continues throughout the module that may or may not relate to the question. There are no videos. Many of the questions in this are easier than the new one, especially given the 3 attempts. It often links you to multiple sections if you don't know the answer.
EDIT: Some of the ones may have videos. The ones I completed if they had videos I didn't notice them because I did the pdf.

New Format: 1 attempt per question but if you get it wrong there are 3 different but related questions per question (idk how to word it) and as long as you get one right you are good. Like if you get it wrong it gives you a new question instead of the old way where you re-attempt the same question. These questions in this seem quite a bit more difficult than the old version. There are all multiple choice no matching or fill in the blank with a word blank like the old ones. Also some of the questions have pictures or images you have to look at and use that to answer. There are videos and the material is laid out differently. If you don't know the answer it is in one section per question so you know where to look, better organized. The videos are hard to miss.

I believe almost all of the courses are on the new format except for US History I, US History II, Conflict Resolution (3 credit course), Religions and Public Speaking.

History is expiring soon and I heard TESU won't take Religion. Maybe the difference in format has something to do with it.

Courses that were in the old format at the time I took them: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict (1 cr), macro econ, and project management

So idk what format they are in now.

But I think these are the new format now. I'm pretty sure the free ones are the new format now at least I think. If anyone took macro or project management recently let me know. And if anyone took the 1 credit ones recently let me know as well.
I just finished Project Management and it is under the new format.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • natshar
(03-28-2020, 02:39 PM)natshar Wrote: Months ago I did the Sophia courses both free and paid. Now they have the special going on and I"m unemployed I thought I'd check out some more them. I noticed a difference in format between the new and old courses.

Old Format: 3 attempts to answer each question. Some of the questions are matching or true/false of multiple statements. There is an underlying story that continues throughout the module that may or may not relate to the question. There are no videos. Many of the questions in this are easier than the new one, especially given the 3 attempts. It often links you to multiple sections if you don't know the answer.

New Format: 1 attempt per question but if you get it wrong there are 3 different but related questions per question (idk how to word it) and as long as you get one right you are good. Like if you get it wrong it gives you a new question instead of the old way where you re-attempt the same question. These questions in this seem quite a bit more difficult than the old version. There are all multiple choice no matching or fill in the blank with a word blank like the old ones. Also some of the questions have pictures or images you have to look at and use that to answer. There are videos and the material is laid out differently. If you don't know the answer it is in one section per question so you know where to look, better organized.

I believe almost all of the courses are on the new format except for US History I, US History II, Conflict Resolution (3 credit course), Religions and Public Speaking.

History is expiring soon and I heard TESU won't take Religion. Maybe the difference in format has something to do with it.

Courses that were in the old format at the time I took them: Effective Teams, Managing Conflict (1 cr), macro econ, and project management

So idk what format they are in now.

But I think these are the new format now. I'm pretty sure the free ones are the new format now at least I think. If anyone took macro or project management recently let me know. And if anyone took the 1 credit ones recently let me know as well.

I'm working through Introduction to Statistics right now and it's definitely the new format. I love this, and just passed the first unit exam with a 27/29. I'm feeling capable of passing a statistics class like this!
TESU BA.LSSS 121/121, BA.PSYCH 121/121, BA in Liberal Studies-Social Sciences and Psychology: March 2021 Graduation

Since 12/5/19:
CLEP: Intro Sociology - 62, Diversity, DSST: 1/6/20 Ethics in America - 440, 1/8/20 Intro World Religions - 470
Sophia: Intro to Statistics - 95%, & many credits...
Study.com: Ethics Social Sciences 90, Into Crim Justice 91, Criminal Law 90, Forensic Science 88, Social Psychology 94
InstantCert Credit: American Government, 91 4/14/2020
Coopersmith: Drugs and Society, Jewish Rabbinic Counseling, Hist and Sys of Psych, Modern Jewish American History, Physio Psych, Sociology of Jewish Food, JST-225 Laws of Blessings 9/16/22, BIB-376 Trees and Plants of the Bible 12/21/22
UExcel Social Psych: A, 1/26/21
TESU: SOS-110-OL 3 cr. A-99, APS-100-OL 1 cr A-97, PSY-331-EP 3 cr 87, PSY322 Research Exp Psych - A 95 3 cr, SOC291 Criminology A98 3 cr, PSY-300EP Thanatology 3 cr 80, HIS210GS Am Civil Rights Movement History 3 cr A, LIB-495OL Hansen A 3cr
TECEPs: PSY-270 2/3/20,  SOC-210 2/10/20, PSY-350 2/17/20, ETH-210
When I took Conflict Resolution about 3 years ago, it did have videos with 3 different instructors to choose from. However, you could just read the transcript of the video and skip the videos if you wanted. The rest of what yo have called the "old format" was true of my course though.
TESU BA June 2018.
Various business certificates still to do.
(03-28-2020, 02:39 PM)natshar Wrote: Old Format: 3 attempts to answer each question. Some of the questions are matching or true/false of multiple statements. There is an underlying story that continues throughout the module that may or may not relate to the question. There are no videos. Many of the questions in this are easier than the new one, especially given the 3 attempts. It often links you to multiple sections if you don't know the answer.

I took Project Management back when it was UL in 2015 - there were videos, so even though I'm sure it's the old format, your description of the old format is incorrect for at least that particular course.

As far as what TESU takes, I can't imagine that they're basing it on which format is used, especially considering that it sounds like (from what you described) the new format is somewhat more difficult to answer questions?  Maybe easier to find the info, but the fact that they don't give you multiple chances with the same question makes it harder, not easier.  So I don't think that's what the issue is.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-28-2020, 07:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 02:39 PM)natshar Wrote: Old Format: 3 attempts to answer each question. Some of the questions are matching or true/false of multiple statements. There is an underlying story that continues throughout the module that may or may not relate to the question. There are no videos. Many of the questions in this are easier than the new one, especially given the 3 attempts. It often links you to multiple sections if you don't know the answer.

I took Project Management back when it was UL in 2015 - there were videos, so even though I'm sure it's the old format, your description of the old format is incorrect for at least that particular course.

As far as what TESU takes, I can't imagine that they're basing it on which format is used, especially considering that it sounds like (from what you described) the new format is somewhat more difficult to answer questions?  Maybe easier to find the info, but the fact that they don't give you multiple chances with the same question makes it harder, not easier.  So I don't think that's what the issue is.

There may have been videos in those courses but if there were I didn't notice them or watch them. I just read the pdf and pdfs don't have videos. The thing about the new course is the videos seem harder to miss vs the old ones. However, I'm pretty sure Religion course which is in the old format I just finished did not have any videos at least I didn't see any.

I was referring to that religion is still one of the few courses in the old format which makes it easier imo. idk could be a coincidence.

I don't actually need any of these credits for my degree but seeing as I'm unemployed and can't go anywhere and they are free I just thought I'd try a few out. I just thought was interesting how the format was different so I looked at all the courses to see the differences.
Another interesting thing I just learned is that Sophia is using some textbook content from Saylor. idk how I didn't notice that before or maybe it isn't all courses.
(03-28-2020, 08:31 PM)natshar Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 07:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

There may have been videos in those courses but if there were I didn't notice them or watch them. I just read the pdf and pdfs don't have videos. The thing about the new course is the videos seem harder to miss vs the old ones. 

Back when I did my course, I don't remember there being pdf's, you HAD to watch one of the videos to learn the material (there was a choice of 3 videos).  I could be wrong, since it was so long ago, but I think I'm remembering correctly.  Maybe it was different because it was an UL course...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Yeah you're right, I think there are differences with the formatting, I don't recall though, it's been a few years. As long as it's looking neatly and nicely as it already is, I'm not too worried about anything. Their formatting and spacing, everything is awesome compared to StraighterLine or Study.com, it's just the pricing that's off. If they keep the pricing low, they'll remain my #1 choice.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I really like them. I'm working through these to bank the credits since they're free for now. If I go for a second Bachelor's, they could prove very useful. (Especially since the bulk of my electives were from Shmoop on my first degree and almost nobody will accept those anymore. )
Besides, I just really like to learn. Art history I and ii were fascinating.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 350 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 774 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,380 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,319 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 335 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 654 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 927 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 216 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 888 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 359 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle