Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to Complete Courses?
Happy Saturday all,
Just had a question for all the degree seekers (or any of you who are taking college credits).

I work full-time (I’m a teacher so usually at night I lesson planning), we have a large family that I love spending time with, involved with my church, etc.

With that being said, I find it incredibly difficult (disheartening as well) and nearly impossible to find time to work through study.com course, SL, CLEP (modern states) prep.

I consider myself very good with organization and time management but I still can’t get a system down to where I juggle working with actually seeing my family after work and then completing classes.

Any suggestions, tips, experiences from all the pro’s out there? I’m all ears

Thanks in advance!
Maybe try to incorporate your family with your learning. Not sure how old they are but try putting SDC videos(which are cartoons) on the big screen for everyone to enjoy.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Someone else is probably much better at it than me, but in these types of situations one of the three things is going to have to suffer (work, family, or school). I don't think there is a way around that. Can't have your cake and eat it too, etc. I mean, there are only so many hours in a day.

As far as the process being disheartening, just view the situation for what it is, a temporary imposition in your life leading to better future opportunities. It may be very hard work now, but you won't have to do it again once you are done and have graduated, unless you want to.

I imagine most of us here have made some sacrifices along this path. I have. I don't regret the work, I regret not having done it sooner. I regret not working smarter and wasting time and money. As soon as I graduate, and finish what I started, I know I won't have to worry about those regrets anymore. That's just the way I view the situation.

Hang in there, kiddo. We're all in this boat together. You're not alone.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • acamp
I agree with Tedium, the hussy or wifey, friends, social life and hobbies will have to suffer. You cant do everything, it is a sacrifice that you must make.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(08-04-2018, 10:14 AM)acamp Wrote: Happy Saturday all,
Just had a question for all the degree seekers (or any of you who are taking college credits).  

I work full-time (I’m a teacher so usually at night I lesson planning), we have a large family that I love spending time with, involved with my church, etc.  

With that being said, I find it incredibly difficult (disheartening as well) and nearly impossible to find time to work through study.com course, SL, CLEP (modern states) prep.  

I consider myself very good with organization and time management but I still can’t get a system down to where I juggle working with actually seeing my family after work and then completing classes.

Any suggestions, tips, experiences from all the pro’s out there?    I’m all ears

Thanks in advance!

I struggle with this as well. Doubly so since I have a 2-year old who wants my attention constantly. I've had to make sacrifices to try and maximize my study time... in my case, this predominately means I rarely get more than 4-5 hours of sleep, since the only time I can dedicate to focus on studying is in the evenings after everyone else goes to bed. Luckily, I seem to be fine on lower amounts of sleep.

On the weekends we tend to be pretty busy going places like the ocean, zoo, or park, but I also try to sneak in a couple hours of study time when my daughter is napping.

I'll also download material to my phone to read while I'm out if I have some extra time. Like when I take a break between work tasks or during lunch, or while I'm on a train, etc.

When I'm on a time crunch (like a looming deadline) there have been times when I had to just close the door and buckle down in antisocial mode for a while, but I generally try to avoid doing that too often since a 2-year old won't understand.

I can't really offer any suggestions on time management, but it sounds like you have that covered... you just need to make more time to manage. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Always start with things you know well and complete them to get the ball rolling.

Study.com - Pick things you already know about so you can only do the quizzes and then do the finals. Knock out as much as you can from your current knowledge.

CLEP/DSST- Do the flash cards and read the forum to determine what additional items you need to study then take the test. If you get a 50 or a 70 it typically does not make a difference. I have found DSST to be the easiest for me to study for and pass. I would try to fill in as many items as possible with CLEP and DSST.

Once you finish off all the things related to what you know then you will have better grasp on how to conquer the rest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johmford's post:
  • kietro
Acamp, what degree do you currently have and which degree are you going after now? I don't recall that...
These are my recommendations - 1) Time management 2) Course overlap 3) Cancel all non-essential plans

What I have done for myself was the following:
I went on vacation first, then buckled down and canceled all non-essential outings for the next little while
I made a schedule/time sheet of my days and stuck with it until I finished all the required courses/exams
I took courses that had major overlap first, got the easy ones done first, and worked hard on the final ones

You have to make time for everything 1) Family first, 2) Work second, 3) School third
Take care of the family, work your scheduled shifts, and study when everyone's asleep.
I work at home, so I have a bit more luxury and can study a bit more than the average person
But when the kids are home, I am with them until bedtime, I study from 10pm to 2am and work at 8am
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I tend to do them as "crash courses." So I might not give any of those things much attention for 4 days, but I get a class knocked out and then go back to real life.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 2 users Like a2jc4life's post:
  • badooble, Tedium
You know that old adage 'you can have it all'? Well, it's a lie. You just can't. That means that you have to decide which things are your priorities, and then go with that. Maybe you spend every lunch eating a sandwich at your desk while doing courses/studying for exams instead of going out to eat. Maybe you meal plan better and have spouse/kids help with more than they're used to. Maybe you don't watch TV for 6 months. Maybe you don't go on vacation for a while. You WILL have to give some things up to go to school.

With me, during the capstone, I spent every Monday sitting next to my daughter at the kitchen table studying, when I would rather have been doing other things. But, it was the best time in my busy schedule to do my studying, so that's when I did it. I tried really hard not to let life get in the way during the 4-6 hours I spend there.

I also spent my evenings after everyone else went to bed doing schoolwork (I'm a night owl). My husband is studying for an IT exam, he is a morning person so he gets up at 5am every day, runs, showers, then spends an hour studying before work. He also reads on the plane rather than sleeping like he normally does.

Point is, we all decide what's a priority, and then make the time for those things. You need to decide that school is a priority and just schedule time to get it done. Or not. You can also decide that everything else is a priority, and put school on the back burner for now, and decide it's a priority some other time in your life (or never). It's totally up to you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life
(08-04-2018, 10:14 AM)acamp Wrote: Happy Saturday all,

Any suggestions, tips, experiences from all the pro’s out there?    I’m all ears

Thanks in advance!

A huge portion of Sophia learners knock out their courses on mobile!  It's the "in-between" times like waiting for a soccer game/choir concert to begin; just log in and tackle a Challenge.  Hint: skip around to the questions you might have a better grasp on first to gain momentum.  : )  Good luck!  And oh, remember, Sophia offers 2 free courses.  Ancient Greek Philosophers is $149.  If you need 3 courses, use HALFOFF for 50% off your courses!  YOU GOT THIS!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 390 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,774 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,806 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 547 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 309 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 672 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat