Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org Questions
(08-08-2022, 06:29 AM)midnite123 Wrote: Any specific courses?

THANX!

This really depends on the student in question. Some students will take several days or even weeks on College Algebra, because they find math difficult, while others will be able to breeze through in a day or two. There are no universally "easy" courses, though there are some that are universally challenging for one reason or another.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-08-2022, 06:29 AM)midnite123 Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 06:20 AM)debrag Wrote: Sophia is pretty easy to bash out courses within a day or two.

Thats Exciting!

CAN"T HELP  LIKING FAST FEEDBACK ,AND CPMPLETION!

Any specific courses?

THANX!
As linked earlier, anything that doesn't have touchstones you can get through as quick as you want to. 

Intro to IT, Intro to Business, Art History 1&2, Micro and Macro Economics, Environmental Science, Financial Accounting, Visual Communications all appear on my transcript as start and finish same day, which probably meant one session of a couple hours. Lots have within a couple days which was probably the same time but over a couple days. 

As a general rule with Sophia, I tend to say just start. Aside from knowing what has Touchstones but if you spend even a couple of days debating/plotting a path you'll be behind compared to just banging them out.
UMPI - BLS (Management and Political Science) - Start Aug 2022
Sophia - 64 Credits - Most classes done
Saylor - Intro to Poli Sci, Intro to Comparitive Politics, Customer Service
Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate
[-] The following 3 users Like MidLifeCrisis's post:
  • carrythenothing, origamishuttle, Pikachu
A typical butt-in-seat college course is 100 hours.

A typical course we recommend here on Degree Forum is 20hrs or less for a course that isn't math or science.

This is how people are able to do an entire bachelor's degree in 6-12 months.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Remember, someone who has the energy, time to get the courses done will be able to get them done in a larger number. The amount you want to shoot for is something of your own pace, I always highly recommend adding a second monitor so that can help speed up your search for answers when you multi-task. You should shoot for at least 5 (if it has assignments) up to 10 (without assignments) or a bit more max/month if not more. Depending on your own commitments and if the courses have touchstones (assignments), you may want to double that to 10+. Don't rush yourself, get it done...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-08-2022, 05:36 PM):Dbjcheung77 Wrote: Remember, someone who has the energy, time to get the courses done will be able to get them done in a larger number.  The amount you want to shoot for is something of your own pace, I always highly recommend adding a second monitor so that can help speed up your search for answers when you multi-task.  You should shoot for at least 5 (if it has assignments) up to 10 (without assignments) or a bit more max/month if not more.  Depending on your own commitments and if the courses have touchstones (assignments), you may want to double that to 10+.  Don't rush yourself, get it done...
10 per month. BJ you’re a machine  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Pats20's post:
  • midnite123, uncapentin
@Pats20, It was about the same with StraighterLine, I did 102 credits in 3 months of that... so technically 13 or so courses/month. It was harder then as you have to schedule time for ProctorU exams. Sophia.org should be easier/faster as you can multi-task with the second monitor, at StraighterLine, you can't for closed book exams.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-08-2022, 01:59 PM)LevelUP Wrote: A typical butt-in-seat college course is 100 hours.

A typical course we recommend here on Degree Forum is 20hrs or less for a course that isn't math or science.

Where do you come up with 100 hours for butt-in-seat? 

3 credits x 3 hours a week = 9 hours a week
9 hours a week x 15 week = 45 hours
Are you including homework time?

I spent much more than 20 hours on many of my classes UMPI. Some Sophia classes were less. The dreaded Eng Comp was definitely far more than 20 hours.
(08-08-2022, 07:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 01:59 PM)LevelUP Wrote: A typical butt-in-seat college course is 100 hours.

Where do you come up with 100 hours for butt-in-seat? 

3 credits x 3 hours a week = 9 hours a week
9 hours a week x 15 week = 45 hours
Are you including homework time?

I spent much more than 20 hours on many of my classes UMPI. Some Sophia classes were less. The dreaded Eng Comp was definitely far more than 20 hours.

They usually say this is the average study time for college courses. However, some could only study before tests and have their total hours closer to 80 hours. 

https://learning.humboldt.edu/sites/defa...ations.pdf

I did the CLEP college comp, which took around 10 hours for 6 credits.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(08-08-2022, 07:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: 9 hours a week x 15 week = 45 hours
9 hours a week x 15 weeks = 135 hours

I will say that ANY college course can vary greatly by person, depending on their knowledge/skill/motivation/health/sleep levels, along with strategy and purpose for taking the course. If all you want to do is pass with as little investment of time as possible, that will tend to result in the lowest effort or fastest time to completion.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(08-08-2022, 08:46 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 07:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: 9 hours a week x 15 week = 45 hours
9 hours a week x 15 weeks = 135 hours

I will say that ANY college course can vary greatly by person, depending on their knowledge/skill/motivation/health/sleep levels, along with strategy and purpose for taking the course. If all you want to do is pass with as little investment of time as possible, that will tend to result in the lowest effort or fastest time to completion.

Ha I need to use my phone better! Now I wonder what was in my calculator. 

This also assumes one attends all of their classes. I know many students who barely hit the min attendance. I wondered what their grades were like and if they ever graduated. Maintaining one's GPA can be tricky if you're not in class. 

Looking back at many of my classes - undergrad and grad. I can't imagine sitting in a classroom for 135 hours over 15 weeks. I mean I've done it. I can't imagine wasting that much time now. With online courses and ACE courses, one could complete and entire 4 year degree in 2 semesters. Not to mention save a boatload of cash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 0 53 9 hours ago
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 235 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  SOPHIA----Opinions on courses??? midnite123 19 1,720 11-01-2023, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,901 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  What's the fasted online college for someone who has 18 Sophia credits? StubbedMyToeWhileSleeping 6 890 08-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,033 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 797 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Applying for internships / jobs while doing Sophia courses Schlafen 2 874 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,112 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 619 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007