Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Ed Degree Question?
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if any of the Big 3 or other online colleges that accept clep/ dantes etc have a Special Education program/degree ?
(03-20-2019, 11:36 AM)tls7291 Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if any of the Big 3 or other online colleges that accept clep/ dantes etc have a Special Education program/degree ?

WGU offers multiple special education degrees at both the bachelor's and master's level within their Teacher's college. WGU accepts CLEP and pretty much everything else except NCCRS credits, and you can transfer in up to 90 credits towards a bachelor's degree.

WGU's education degrees also lead to licensure.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

The bigger point is that none of the big 3 lead to teacher licensure in any area directly, so you'd have to do a work-around for your state is you were set on using one of the big 3. Some states have alternative pathways, but I think it would be an easier road if you picked a college that offered teacher licensure directly.
(03-20-2019, 01:01 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

The bigger point is that none of the big 3 lead to teacher licensure in any area directly, so you'd have to do a work-around for your state is you were set on using one of the big 3. Some states have alternative pathways, but I think it would be an easier road if you picked a college that offered teacher licensure directly.

Hi, thank you..sorry for my ignorance but what is a work around?  I'm in California, so do you know where I could get that info for Licensure?
I'm going to be the mean one, which is a role I take on quite often, but this will benefit you. If you're going to have a professional job, such as teaching, you're going to need some basic research skills. If you can't find licensing requirements now, then how are you going to learn the rules to maintain your license?

People love answering questions here, but they're doing it for free. It would have been good if you had at least gone to the Big 3's websites to see if they offer teaching degrees. You would have answered your own question with minimal effort. Regarding alternative paths to teacher certification in California, did you make an attempt to perform a Google search or to go to the website of California's regulatory agency?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(03-20-2019, 04:08 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm going to be the mean one, which is a role I take on quite often, but this will benefit you. If you're going to have a professional job, such as teaching, you're going to need some basic research skills. If you can't find licensing requirements now, then how are you going to learn the rules to maintain your license?

People love answering questions here, but they're doing it for free. It would have been good if you had at least gone to the Big 3's websites to see if they offer teaching degrees. You would have answered your own question with minimal effort. Regarding alternative paths to teacher certification in California, did you make an attempt to perform a Google search or to go to the website of California's regulatory agency?

You're not being mean, but I'm just doing my due diligence and making sure I didn't miss anything, sometimes things go by different names and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Yes I did look at the big 3's websites and eXcelsior is a bit confusing on their BA without concentration and the one with Human Services. I also noticed that Thomas Edison has a history degree but I'm not sure if that specific one would translate well to teaching etc. Lastly Charter only seems to have an ECE Bachelor degree, so that one might be a no. Again I'm asking the group,  only because everyone on here is very knowledgeable and I don't want to make a mistake or miss anything important! Thanks!
(03-20-2019, 06:22 PM)tls7291 Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 04:08 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm going to be the mean one, which is a role I take on quite often, but this will benefit you. If you're going to have a professional job, such as teaching, you're going to need some basic research skills. If you can't find licensing requirements now, then how are you going to learn the rules to maintain your license?

You're not being mean, but I'm just doing my due diligence and making sure I didn't miss anything, sometimes things go by different names and I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Yes I did look at the big 3's websites and eXcelsior is a bit confusing on their BA without concentration and the one with Human Services. I also noticed that Thomas Edison has a history degree but I'm not sure if that specific one would translate well to teaching etc. Lastly Charter only seems to have an ECE Bachelor degree, so that one might be a no. Again I'm asking the group,  only because everyone on here is very knowledgeable and I don't want to make a mistake or miss anything important! Thanks!

Degree programs that are specifically designed to lead to teacher certification will say so on their webpages. If you want to complete a post-baccalaureate program that leads to teacher certification, then just about any bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited school will do.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you want to be a history teacher in CA (single subject), then a Bachelor's in History followed by a teaching credential program would be the way to go. I see no reason not to get your bachelor's from one of the Big3. My daughter, who wants to be a H.S. English teacher, just finished her BA in English Lit, and is starting a teaching credential program next fall. She had to fulfill a couple of extra prereq courses specific to the program (which is a nuisance since she's applying to two different programs and they have different prereq courses) and pass the CSET and CBEST to prior to starting the teaching credential program.

If you want to be a special Ed teacher, there are some other hoops to jump through.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-20-2019, 06:54 PM)davewill Wrote: If you want to be a history teacher in CA (single subject), then a Bachelor's in History followed by a teaching credential program would be the way to go. I see no reason not to get your bachelor's from one of the Big3. My daughter, who wants to be a H.S. English teacher, just finished her BA in English Lit, and is starting a teaching credential program next fall. She had to fulfill a couple of extra prereq courses specific to the program (which is a nuisance since she's applying to two different programs and they have different prereq courses) and pass the CSET and CBEST to prior to starting the teaching credential program.

If you want to be a special Ed teacher, there are some other hoops to jump through.

Or you can go through the WGU B.A. in Special Education program, which includes licensure in California.

I agree that having another self-standing degree and then adding the teaching credential makes you more well-rounded, but if you want to focus on special education the WGU program seems ideal. They have two different programs depending on if you want to teach elementary and special education, or focus on special education only; the latter appears to provide more specialized instruction for dealing with higher severity of special education needs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Like davewill said, to be a teacher in CA, you can get a degree in ANYTHING and the get your teaching license separately; or you can just get a degree with licensure as part of the package like WGU offers. That's the path I personally would take if I didn't have a degree yet (and didn't have a bunch of credits that would put me close to completing a degree from one of the Big 3).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,183 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader