Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speeding up nursing prerequisites
First of all, thanks to all of you for this amazing resource! I've learned so much looking through this forum.

I'm planning my path to getting a nursing degree. My tentative plan is to finish my first bachelors through UMPI or a similar competency-based program, and then apply to an accelerated second-degree BSN program. I think I can finish the first bachelors in a couple terms, but the prerequisites to apply for ABSN programs could take a whole year of set-pace courses (they can't be Sophia, Straighterline, etc, because GPA is calculated based on these courses). Most programs require at least: 

Intro Biology with Lab
Microbiology
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry with Lab
Nutrition
Pathophysiology

Does anyone know of a competency-based school that would have some or all of these classes in CBE format? It'd be great if I could just knock some of them out while getting my first bachelors.

On a related note, does anyone know if any of the competency-based schools have a publicly available list of the courses that are available in their CBE programs? Or do you just have to enroll and see what you get? It'd be nice to know in advance what electives you can take.

An alternate plan is to just take the prerequisites on Straighterline and apply for WGU's pre-licensure program, which accepts alternative credits for the prerequisites, but there's no guarantee I'd get accepted, so that could end up being a waste of time. 

Thanks in advance for your input!
Currently known CBE programs are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs Unfortunately, I think that WGU is the only pre-licensure CBE BSN program.

Not cheap, but Portage does have these in a self-paced format at least: https://portagelearning.com/courses/biology and https://portagelearning.com/courses/chemistry Courses are transcriped via Geneva College.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-30-2022, 01:19 PM)monzelbc Wrote: First of all, thanks to all of you for this amazing resource! I've learned so much looking through this forum.

I'm planning my path to getting a nursing degree. My tentative plan is to finish my first bachelors through UMPI or a similar competency-based program, and then apply to an accelerated second-degree BSN program. I think I can finish the first bachelors in a couple terms, but the prerequisites to apply for ABSN programs could take a whole year of set-pace courses (they can't be Sophia, Straighterline, etc, because GPA is calculated based on these courses). Most programs require at least: 

Intro Biology with Lab
Microbiology
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry with Lab
Nutrition
Pathophysiology

Does anyone know of a competency-based school that would have some or all of these classes in CBE format? It'd be great if I could just knock some of them out while getting my first bachelors.

On a related note, does anyone know if any of the competency-based schools have a publicly available list of the courses that are available in their CBE programs? Or do you just have to enroll and see what you get? It'd be nice to know in advance what electives you can take.

An alternate plan is to just take the prerequisites on Straighterline and apply for WGU's pre-licensure program, which accepts alternative credits for the prerequisites, but there's no guarantee I'd get accepted, so that could end up being a waste of time. 

What state are you in?
(11-30-2022, 02:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Currently known CBE programs are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs Unfortunately, I think that WGU is the only pre-licensure CBE BSN program.

Not cheap, but Portage does have these in a self-paced format at least: https://portagelearning.com/courses/biology and https://portagelearning.com/courses/chemistry Courses are transcriped via Geneva College.

Good to know about Portage. Definitely a little pricey though.

(12-02-2022, 03:33 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 01:19 PM)monzelbc Wrote: First of all, thanks to all of you for this amazing resource! I've learned so much looking through this forum.

Intro Biology with Lab
Microbiology
Anatomy and Physiology
Chemistry with Lab
Nutrition
Pathophysiology

What state are you in?

California
If you're going to stay in CA and try for an Accelerated degree at a state school, you definitely must do these RA. I think that your best bet is to do online courses through CC's in CA since the cost is so low (or may even be free).

Otherwise, Portage is your best option for speed.

WGU doesn't have an RN pre-licensure program in CA any longer.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
California s CC prices are extremely affordable. When I started my nursing pre reqs at Los Angeles Valley College (which was a 10 minute walk from my apartment) I was paying $20 per credit. Now its around $40
https://lavc.edu/costs-tuition/fees

I would say just take the classes at a California CC. Ultimately I found myself on a 5 year waiting list for their nursing program. And its tiered by your grades in the sciences... and nearly everyone has As in everything. So you may find becoming a nurse "faster" in another state and you can return to California when you're done. I think Drexel has a 12 month program and Thomas Edison has a 15 month program. Keep in mind that many of these programs, including the military's nursing/pre med program and Thomas Edison will not accept Portage Learning so do your research before you spend money on classes that might actuAlly be more expensive than the California CC. Interestingly, Thomas Edison does not take Portage Leaning but they now take straighterline sciences (because they're honestly better). I have to say, the CC system in California was fantastic. Great teachers and a great value considering you can easily transfer your credits to a UC. There's an old British saying, "In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty."

WGU if off the table for you unless you have family or close friends in one of the states they have clinical spots in.
(12-11-2022, 10:15 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote: California s CC prices are extremely affordable. When I started my nursing pre reqs at Los Angeles Valley College (which was a 10 minute walk from my apartment) I was paying $20 per credit. Now its around $40
https://lavc.edu/costs-tuition/fees

I would say just take the classes at a California CC. Ultimately I found myself on a 5 year waiting list for their nursing program. And its tiered by your grades in the sciences... and nearly everyone has As in everything. So you may find becoming a nurse "faster" in another state and you can return to California when you're done. I think Drexel has a 12 month program and Thomas Edison has a 15 month program. Keep in mind that many of these programs, including the military's nursing/pre med program and Thomas Edison will not accept Portage Learning so do your research before you spend money on classes that might actuAlly be more expensive than the California CC. Interestingly, Thomas Edison does not take Portage Leaning but they now take straighterline sciences (because they're honestly better). I have to say, the CC system in California was fantastic. Great teachers and a great value considering you can easily transfer your credits to a UC. There's an old British saying, "In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty."

WGU if off the table for you unless you have family or close friends in one of the states they have clinical spots in.

I've never heard that TESU won't accept Portage courses (which transcribe as Geneva College courses); it would be interesting to get that verified from others.

TESU's program is on-campus in NJ, and I'm sure there are way more programs that would be easier to manage than moving across the country and paying $38k in tuition for this program! Yikes.

As for transferring to UC's, none of the UC-system schools has a BSN or post-bacc or accelerated BSN program - only some of the CSU's do.  But they are hard to get into.

I would also suggest looking into some nearby states like AZ and NV - you might find it easier to get in, and they may even have WUE pricing (150% of in-state tuition).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I've never heard of TESU not accepting Portage Learning either. Would this be specific to their nursing program? Because I helped someone get, among other things, the ASNSM in Biology and they used Biology II from Portage for their Bio II requirement. This was at the beginning of 2022 or end of 2021.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-12-2022, 10:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I've never heard of TESU not accepting Portage Learning either. Would this be specific to their nursing program? Because I helped someone get, among other things, the ASNSM in Biology and they used Biology II from Portage for their Bio II requirement. This was at the beginning of 2022 or end of 2021.

Sorry rachel83az, I misspoke. I believe they do accept them; however, they prefer Straighterline. I spoke with the credit auditor (or whatever her title is) of TESU's nursing program. I was informed that they prefer SL credits over some community colleges due to the thoroughness of the science courses. 

It was the military I was thinking of. When I talked to the military recruiter for med school, she told me they would not accept portage learning. Something about how the transcripts look and a "third party"; I don't remember exactly. 

As far as the cost and traveling... Honestly, nursing is a career path where you'll be ok financially. I wanted to become an RN, so I was resourceful and did my best. I wasn't going to let distance or money get in my way. 

To OP, You'll be able to pay off your debts and still live comfortably. The bigger risk is going into a program half-cocked, racking up a debt, and not finishing! Then you'd be in trouble. Many people are shocked by the difficulty of nursing school because--part of the reason is--they took watered down and easy prerequisites. 

I recommend just taking the classes at the CC in California and or SL (if your nursing program accepts them). The junior colleges work closely with the nursing programs and design those prerequisite classes to adequately prepare you for their program.
Keep in mind that if your plan is to use financial aid (such as Pell Grants) to pay for your nursing degree do not earn/complete a bachelor before. Once you have a bachelor degree you will no longer be eligible for undergraduate assistance (such as Pell Grants), excluding loans.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pre Nursing Zetineb 6 1,236 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Last Post: icampy