Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting from essentially zero except for ten years work experience
What degree do you want to get? I'd suggest either a BSBA, if you can stomach that, or else an IT degree. The Big 3 all have Business degrees. For IT, I'd probably go with WGU. You can also opt for a BALS/BSLS at any of the 3 schools, and make your own concentration for some (COSC and EC), or get an Undergrad cert at TESU. They have things like Organizational Leadership, Computer Info Systems, and Ops Management (I think I have something that will work).

With those old credits, you CAN transfer some in even if they're D's, so it's worth listing them here.

Also, I have a list of what you need for TESU and COSC using free Sophia stuff. Do that NOW, since they're only free until July. Don't waste your time on any other free stuff, since those will still be free when Sophia isn't any longer. I can probably work something up for EC and WGU, but I just don't have them here.

Sophia courses for TESU GE
AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp I & II
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Public Speaking
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra or Intro to Statistics

AREA B
DIVERSITY: Intro to Sociology OR Approaches to Studying Religions
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP: Intro to Ethics
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: NOT AVAILABLE

AREA C
Art History I & II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Macro & Microeconomics
US History I & II
Intro to Psychology

AREA D
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT

GE ELECTIVES
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
Any of the above not already used

FREE ELECTIVES
College Readiness
Intro to Business
Accounting (can also be used in Business Core)
Project Management (can also be used in Business AOS)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) (can also be used in Business AOS)

Sophia courses for COSC GE
English Comp I & II (WRITTEN COMMUNICATION)
Public Speaking (ORAL COMMUNICATION)
Intro to Ethics (ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING)
US History I or II (US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT)
Religion (GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE)
Art History I or II or Visual Communication (LITERATURE & FINE ARTS)
Psych, Sociology, Microecon or Macroecon (SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE)
College Algebra or Statistics (MATHEMATICS)
Environmental Science (NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • djarumlights
IT's not going to be my go-to I don't think, as I can barely code my way out of a pre-torn wet paper bag. More of a hardware guy on that end. There was a time, but alas, disused knowledge = falling way behind the curve in that field.

The BSBA at TESU is probably where I would lean if I had to decide tonight. Seems like I could apply it towards graduate-level things if I decide I'm a complete glutton for punishment down the road (the accreditation and all that fun stuff).

Thanks for the breakdown!
(04-22-2020, 12:39 AM)djarumlights Wrote: IT's not going to be my go-to I don't think, as I can barely code my way out of a pre-torn wet paper bag. More of a hardware guy on that end. There was a time, but alas, disused knowledge = falling way behind the curve in that field.

The BSBA at TESU is probably where I would lean if I had to decide tonight. Seems like I could apply it towards graduate-level things if I decide I'm a complete glutton for punishment down the road (the accreditation and all that fun stuff).

First, I echo everyone who has told you to take Sophia courses. When that's a dead horse, and in case you didn't see it when poking around this board, you might want to give http://www.modernstates.org a look-see. CLEP centers are closed, but when they reopen, you could be ready to test out on some exams if they aren't duplicates of Sophia. They're essentially free. (Finish the course which includes quizzes and a final, and get a coupon for a free test. Pay your testing center. Take test. Send Modern States your paperwork for the test center (receipt, etc.) and,  couple of months later, get a refund for the testing site feel. Wash, rinse, and repeat for other courses that might meet your needs.

Do send in your transcripts from your younger years. Something might fill in a spot or two. Even with a "D."
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • djarumlights
Heh, poor ol' feeble transcript. . .

Alright, getting that part echoed twice has convinced me to do so. Very good then!
(04-22-2020, 12:39 AM)djarumlights Wrote: IT's not going to be my go-to I don't think, as I can barely code my way out of a pre-torn wet paper bag. More of a hardware guy on that end. There was a time, but alas, disused knowledge = falling way behind the curve in that field.

I don't think IT has much to do with programming - my husband has been in IT for 20+ years, I don't think he knows how to program at all (although heck, I could be totally wrong).

Go look at some IT degrees and see what they require - almost zero programming. Check WGU, TESU, EC or COSC.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Don't discount those old credits some (even most of the D's) will transfer over.
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
Well, a TESU rep is supposed to contact me tomorrow or Friday. They echoed Sophia being a good start and said they'll definitely take a look at the old transcript to try and do something with it. Guess we'll flesh out the details at that point. Blowing thru Intro to IT now.
(04-22-2020, 03:10 PM)djarumlights Wrote: Well, a TESU rep is supposed to contact me tomorrow or Friday. They echoed Sophia being a good start and said they'll definitely take a look at the old transcript to try and do something with it. Guess we'll flesh out the details at that point. Blowing thru Intro to IT now.

Don't expect much from TESU in that respect - their objective is NOT to help you find alternative credits to use at their school, it's to get you to enroll and spend the money at THEIR school taking courses.

You're much better off posting your former credits here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • djarumlights
True. I'm going to play the game a bit and see what all I can find out. All part of the challenge!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,377 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 23 1,763 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: quanticmba
  best way to get a CS degree for people with experience? bwokbwok 8 435 03-20-2024, 06:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Sad 53 Starting Fresh laknight 13 674 02-29-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  IT degree with A levels & 7 years of work experience Sherwood 74 4,711 10-28-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for a BBA online doable in less than 2 years, with EU recognition MrNicky 4 508 10-22-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information Web developer, with 8 years of experience and no degree k2rmh 3 319 09-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ASU Universal Learner experience? Kones 11 1,379 09-06-2023, 02:21 AM
Last Post: jch
Lightbulb Finishing a Degree 14 Years Later (Advice much needed) Nigmatix 10 980 05-25-2023, 11:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What should i work on next? defmo 9 764 03-24-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: dfrecore