Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StraighterLine: Business Statistics
Hi everyone,
By God’s grace (and the amazing COMMUNITY here), I am about 1-2 courses away (depending on how they transfer into TESU) from the 12 credits needed in math. Thanks to everyone for the help, suggestions, and answers along the way as well as your patience with all my questions =)

Since I have to wait 18 days to take another exam for study.com, I was given a promo by SL for a class free and just have to pay the $99 membership fee.

I would really like to take Business Statistics since it’s a 3-credited math course and it’s good to have down the road when I tackle the BSBA in Accounting.

Has anyone taken that Business Statistics course from StraighterLine? If so, can you share your thoughts and experiences with it?

How many hours did it take you to complete, how were the graded open-book quizzes, final exam, is it very “mathy” or more theory, how did you study for it, were all the quiz answers easily found from the textbook and readings, etc.

Any and all help from your course experience I would appreciate. Thanks all in advance!
(04-19-2018, 04:19 PM)acamp Wrote: Has anyone taken that Business Statistics course from StraighterLine?  If so, can you share your thoughts and experiences with it?

How many hours did it take you to complete, how were the graded open-book quizzes, final exam, is it very “mathy” or more theory, how did you study for it, were all the quiz answers easily found from the textbook and readings, etc.  

I haven't taken it yet but it is on my list since it is widely recommended as one of the best Statistics courses. Particularly for people who are "math averse". Of the two statistics courses offered by Straighterline, Business Statistics is supposed to be much more theory focused and less math focused. A number of people who failed other stats courses commented that they were able to pass the SL Business Stats course with much less difficulty. The only stats course that is supposedly "easier" to pass for non-math folks is the one offered by Statistics.com, but it is not self-paced and pricey.

I plan to take it within the next month.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
(04-19-2018, 11:09 PM)Merlin Wrote: I haven't taken it yet but it is on my list since it is widely recommended as one of the best Statistics courses. Particularly for people who are "math averse". Of the two statistics courses offered by Straighterline, Business Statistics is supposed to be much more theory focused and less math focused. A number of people who failed other stats courses commented that they were able to pass the SL Business Stats course with much less difficulty. The only stats course that is supposedly "easier" to pass for non-math folks is the one offered by Statistics.com, but it is not self-paced and pricey.

I plan to take it within the next month.

I started it, but ended up going through Study.com instead.  I thought it was fairly difficult (but it's been a long time since I've taken math).

It used to be considered the easier way of getting the course (the other option was ALEKS which was crazy hard), but then Study.com came along.  Now that is considered the easiest way of getting through it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon
My reply won't answer your question but I thought I would throw out a little advice. If you are worried about statistics there is a potential option that may help you out some. If you go to ashford.sophia.org there is a foundation of statistics that cost $49. It wont transfer as anything you are looking for but could help get you ready for a statistics course that will work for you. You can get it for free if you complete one of the free courses. You always get a $50 off coupon when you complete something. Create a new account, do one of the free courses real quick and use the $50 coupon towards the foundations of statistics class. I thought it was a decent course and helped me remember/learn some things.
[-] The following 3 users Like xjarhead1999's post:
  • ed209uardo, Muldoon, Yenisei
(04-20-2018, 12:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I started it, but ended up going through Study.com instead.  I thought it was fairly difficult (but it's been a long time since I've taken math).

It used to be considered the easier way of getting the course (the other option was ALEKS which was crazy hard), but then Study.com came along.  Now that is considered the easiest way of getting through it.

Hmm, that's odd since I've heard that the Study.com version was harder, and more math dependent than SL Business Stats. Given it has 129 quizzes that also suggests its a pretty long course. It sounded like the SL version was something one could probably get through a lot quicker, plus you can still pass the course before even having to take the proctored final.

Then again, I like Study.com a lot. I feel they have a superior format which makes a pass for most any course guaranteed. It just takes longer and you have to be willing to learn.

I was just about to re-up my Straighterline account too. Decisions decisions.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(04-20-2018, 12:40 AM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: My reply won't answer your question but I thought I would throw out a little advice. If you are worried about statistics there is a potential option that may help you out some. If you go to ashford.sophia.org there is a foundation of statistics that cost $49. It wont transfer as anything you are looking for but could help get you ready for a statistics course that will work for you. You can get it for free if you complete one of the free courses. You always get a $50 off coupon when you complete something. Create a new account, do one of the free courses real quick and use the $50 coupon towards the foundations of statistics class. I thought it was a decent course and helped me remember/learn some things.

Actually, I think I heard that someone took it and TESU accepted it, but I could be wrong.

The other free way to get through Stats is to go through Khan Academy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To me, StraighterLine is the better of the two programs if someone was looking to grow in their understanding of Stats. ALEKs was my favorite option for math due to the amount you could knock out in a month (5 Courses/15 credits/$20). Once you have a handle on Stats, I don't see any of the programs as being too difficult.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I took the Sophia Ashford stats foundations course and it transferred as STA-201, the same as the other stats classes. The only problem is that it's only 2 credits. I really do like Sophia and think that the class is worth taking just for the learning.

It was free, btw.
I have 2 teens that just did SL Business Stats. My 11th grader passed with mid-80's in 2 weeks, but my hs graduate did NOT pass and is retaking it next week.
The final is open book, but they only allow 1 page of notes, so not really open book- you have to go into your final with solid test scores. My son that did NOT pass had 2 low test scores, which tanked his average.
(04-20-2018, 12:40 AM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: My reply won't answer your question but I thought I would throw out a little advice. If you are worried about statistics there is a potential option that may help you out some. If you go to ashford.sophia.org there is a foundation of statistics that cost $49. It wont transfer as anything you are looking for but could help get you ready for a statistics course that will work for you. You can get it for free if you complete one of the free courses. You always get a $50 off coupon when you complete something. Create a new account, do one of the free courses real quick and use the $50 coupon towards the foundations of statistics class. I thought it was a decent course and helped me remember/learn some things.

Check out the foundations courses for free on https://phoenix.sophia.org/home
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • ed209uardo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,515 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 415 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 335 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 324 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,906 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 3,132 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood