Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline & AMCAS
Premed applicant using AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) here.

Intro:

- I took Precalc 1 from SL(Straighterline) a number of years ago, and had it accepted by my 4-year institution of higher learning which has subsequently become accredited.
- Precalc 2 was taken in a physical classroom at my uni.
- AMCAS shouldn't have any trouble with my transcript, except for the fact that it has this one class from SL.
- Precalc is not a prerequisite for med-school entry, my degree (2020) is.
- I don't want my application to be sent back for review, delaying my acceptance process.
- I can't find any comments on the web in this area, after several Google searches and following all leads.

Questions:
Should I try to get straighterline to send AMCAS a transcript? Should I just enter it into AMCAS as coming from my uni?

Sources that give me pause:

ThucydidesLazar 2015 | I have heard that [Straighterline] have sent their transcripts directly to the AMCAS. I simply wish I could hear what the result of that was. Generally, this is something one would place on a transcript, not send directly.

Ancapman 2017 | Crazy enough, some schools will want to see the final grades from SL. For example... my AMCAS application has to have grades from Cuyamaca College, St. Leo, Straighterline, Study, CooperSmith, CCAC, and TESU they are especially interested in English Comp I and II and Science courses... but here is the other reason.
(07-29-2019, 06:24 PM)dustywayfarer Wrote: Premed applicant using AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) here.

Intro:

- I took Precalc 1 from SL(Straighterline) a number of years ago, and had it accepted by my 4-year institution of higher learning which has subsequently become accredited.
- Precalc 2 was taken in a physical classroom at my uni.
- AMCAS shouldn't have any trouble with my transcript, except for the fact that it has this one class from SL.
- Precalc is not a prerequisite for med-school entry, my degree (2020) is.
- I don't want my application to be sent back for review, delaying my acceptance process.
- I can't find any comments on the web in this area, after several Google searches and following all leads.

Questions:
Should I try to get straighterline to send AMCAS a transcript? Should I just enter it into AMCAS as coming from my uni?

Sources that give me pause:

ThucydidesLazar 2015 | I have heard that [Straighterline] have sent their transcripts directly to the AMCAS. I simply wish I could hear what the result of that was. Generally, this is something one would place on a transcript, not send directly.

Ancapman 2017 | Crazy enough, some schools will want to see the final grades from SL. For example... my AMCAS application has to have grades from Cuyamaca College, St. Leo, Straighterline, Study, CooperSmith, CCAC, and TESU they are especially interested in English Comp I and II and Science courses... but here is the other reason.

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. I'm sure your transcript has a pass/fail assigned to it for PreCal. Pass/fail courses are not unusual and I don't remember if maths are included in the AMCAS science GPA, if they are, it will be treated as a pass/fail. If they are not, it will likely be ignored since it's not a prereq.

RE: ThucydidesLazar- there is no reason to do this. I would even go so far as to say it invites trouble where none exists.

RE: Ancapman- If your SL courses were your sciences, you'd be screwed. Wink I guarantee you there is no student at TESU who has a grade from SL. Didn't happen.

There is exactly one college in the country that will place a grade on your transcript based on the % score you rec'd from SL, but since you're not at that school, it's moot. There isn't a grade to be retrieved. The reason you have credit is because ACE evaluated your SL course and your university took ACE's word for it- as such- the only information they have is that it was at or above 70%. Does your Precal say transfer credit on your college transcript? If so, you may be required to provide your ACE transcript, but I wouldn't start with that- they are not a college and you are truthful by not including it b/c they are not a college. This is probably similar to having a CLEP precal score on your transcript.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 520 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 170 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,014 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 324 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 302 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 707 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 431 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 625 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,160 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,084 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138