Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Biology Book - edition?
I have another SL question! I still have my son's SL Biology book from 4 years ago. It is edition 12. The website requests edition 14. Anyone complete this course lately using an older book?
The book should be fine, there aren't that many differences in each edition a year or two apart.
The final is not open book anyways, so it really wouldn't matter which version you're using.
Note: Same for Microbiology and the other sciences, if you're using an older version, it will work just fine.

For open book final exams at Straighterline, you have to be using the same version/edition as the course.
Otherwise, you are not supposed to be using a different version during the open book final.
If your son is going for it, I suggest using the current version you've got already.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
ProctorU usually won't check the edition or that you have a scanned copy rather than the real e-textbook, but you do it at your own risk. Just only for myself, I wouldn't spend $100+ on a book for something I'll probably get away with.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
bjcheung77 Wrote:For open book final exams at Straighterline, you have to be using the same version/edition as the course.
Otherwise, you are not supposed to be using a different version during the open book final.
If your son is going for it, I suggest using the current version you've got already.

I haven't decided, it may be up for later this year still. I'm confused by something you said- since it's not open book, his version won't matter (got that) but on open book exams the edition has to match? Wow, that's strict!?

Also, what did you mean that you suggest using the current version I've already got. Do you mean use the version I've got or the current version? (my version is ed 12, current version is 14)
TrailRunr Wrote:ProctorU usually won't check the edition or that you have a scanned copy rather than the real e-textbook, but you do it at your own risk. Just only for myself, I wouldn't spend $100+ on a book for something I'll probably get away with.

It must have been me, for the proctored exams - open book, the proctorU staff member actually looked at the Ebook to verify my Medical Terminology course was using the same version as they had within their records (or the Straighterline Site). This happened with Business Communications and a few others too.

cookderosa Wrote:I haven't decided, it may be up for later this year still. I'm confused by something you said- since it's not open book, his version won't matter (got that) but on open book exams the edition has to match? Wow, that's strict!?

Also, what did you mean that you suggest using the current version I've already got. Do you mean use the version I've got or the current version? (my version is ed 12, current version is 14)

For closed book exams, I recommend getting the cheapest edition/version available and just go work hard at finishing the course.
If you currently have Bio Edition 12. Just use IT! As much as 99% of the readings the same, use the $$ for another SL course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:It must have been me, for the proctored exams - open book, the proctorU staff member actually looked at the Ebook to verify my Medical Terminology course was using the same version as they had within their records (or the Straighterline Site). This happened with Business Communications and a few others too.

They always checked mine as well.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 523 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,427 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 332 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 312 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 632 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Biology + Lab elenlushk 9 2,291 09-11-2023, 10:28 AM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,167 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore