Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline First Exam Retake
Hi all,

Im ready to take 4 final exams and my current course grades are between 93-97. There are a couple of first exams that I got a 90. Is the first retake exam a total new exam or a repeat? I just want to know if it's worth retaking. I also don't want to get a lower score since I'm probably just going to breeze through the finals since tecnically i have already passed.
Started October 2016

Goal:  Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: General Management  Credits 120/120!!!

Completed:

CLEP: Spanish 80
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Introduction to Statistics, PreCalculus
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Business in Society,  Human Resource Management, Digital Marketing and Advertising, Personal Finance, History of Vietnam, US History I
Teex: Cyber Security 101, 201, and 301. Completed 10/18/16
Straighterline: English Comp I, English Comp II, Intro to Communication, Intro to Religion, Intro to Sociology, American Government, Introduction to Environmental Science, Accounting I, Accounting II, Business Law, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Business Communication Organizational Behavior, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting 
TECEP: Strategic Management (69%), Security Analysis (84%)
ACTFL:  OPIc Spanish Advanced High/Superior, WPT Spanish Advanced Hgh/Superior
hed1979 Wrote:Hi all,

Im ready to take 4 final exams and my current course grades are between 93-97. There are a couple of first exams that I got a 90. Is the first retake exam a total new exam or a repeat? I just want to know if it's worth retaking. I also don't want to get a lower score since I'm probably just going to breeze through the finals since tecnically i have already passed.

Some of the finals are worth so little that with a 93-97 going into it, you are almost guaranteed to pass. Particularly if the final is open book, I wouldn't take the time to repeat the test. If you are transferring the credits to ACE, the grade isn't included, so a 70 is worth just as much as a 100.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
rowan555 Wrote:Some of the finals are worth so little that with a 93-97 going into it, you are almost guaranteed to pass. Particularly if the final is open book, I wouldn't take the time to repeat the test. If you are transferring the credits to ACE, the grade isn't included, so a 70 is worth just as much as a 100.

Thanks. I just took the 4 exams, selecting random answers and scored over 80% on all. Obviously I'm thrilled! Just signed up for an additional 4 classes on sl.
Started October 2016

Goal:  Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: General Management  Credits 120/120!!!

Completed:

CLEP: Spanish 80
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Introduction to Statistics, PreCalculus
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Business in Society,  Human Resource Management, Digital Marketing and Advertising, Personal Finance, History of Vietnam, US History I
Teex: Cyber Security 101, 201, and 301. Completed 10/18/16
Straighterline: English Comp I, English Comp II, Intro to Communication, Intro to Religion, Intro to Sociology, American Government, Introduction to Environmental Science, Accounting I, Accounting II, Business Law, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Business Communication Organizational Behavior, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting 
TECEP: Strategic Management (69%), Security Analysis (84%)
ACTFL:  OPIc Spanish Advanced High/Superior, WPT Spanish Advanced Hgh/Superior
hed1979 Wrote:Hi all,

you only need 700 points to pass any class. Go into your grades, add up your points (not %) and see where you are. If you are 93%ish in a course that has a final exam worth 300 points (30%) you have roughly 650+ points now. That means, you'll need to score about 50 points or more to pass. 50 points on a 300 point test is a final exam score of about 17% to pass the class.
*I'm using rough numbers, you'll be able to calculate exact ones on your own*

Edit to add that a couple of the classes have finals worth only 20% (200 points) and if that's the case with your class, you already exceed the 700 point mark and have already passed. Your final must be taken, but you don't need any correct.
what if I score lower than my original exam should I retake the first quiz? Does it keep the higher of the two attempts?

I have a 93%, 98%, 98%, not yet taken 4th, for Bus Ethics. Missed 3 on my first crack.
humbleAMG Wrote:what if I score lower than my original exam should I retake the first quiz? Does it keep the higher of the two attempts?

I have a 93%, 98%, 98%, not yet taken 4th, for Bus Ethics. Missed 3 on my first crack.

I don't know if it takes the highest score.

Exam 1: 175 possible. You have 93% -->163
Exam 2: 175 possible. You have 98% -->172
Exam 3: 175 possible. You have 98% --> 172
Exam 4: 175 possible.
Final: 300 possible.

You're asking about possible gain of only 12 points. You currently have 507 points. You NEED 700. Take your exam 4 and then you'll be able to calculate what you need on the final. Don't retake test 1 unless you fail exam 4.
Yep, taking #4 shortly and hoping for high 90s again. I would like to go into my final with the most points, in case it goes south, I'm paranoid that way. Smile I missed the first test as I was not expecting a quicker pace vs other SL courses. 40 questions in 1hr was pushing it for me.
I have retaken a few of the first exams again to raise my score, but it didn't end up impacting my ability to get the necessary 700 points to pass. I can tell you that when you go back into the first exam where it explains how long you have to take the assessment, it states "Grading method: Highest grade". I read that as being the highest of your scores.
TESU ASBA

CLEP
Principles of Marketing 
Principles of Management 
Intro to Business Law

DSST
Intro to Computers
Intro to Business
Human Resources Management

Straighterline
Business Ethics
Macroeconomic
Microeconomics 
Accounting I
Accounting II
Managerial Accounting
Introduction to Communication
Business Communication

ALEKS
College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,457 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 635 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,169 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Did my first ever final exam on Study.com. Realized Google Chrome was still minimized Tyranova 2 803 08-13-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Tyranova