Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Psychology and Sociology
has anyone taken either of these recently?

A couple of ?s

Psychology is a bit more at $74 instead of $59.  Does anyone know why?  
Are there any written papers?

Sociology does not have a grading breakdown.  Has anyone taken this course that could tell me a bit about it (ie, how many exams, points, any written papers, etc....)
Courses from providers other than McGraw-Hill are higher (Survey of World History, Intro to Stats, Intro to Psych, and IT Fundamentals from Acrobatiq; Gen Calc I & II and Gen Physics I from ThinkWell; and Intro to Programming in C++ from Zyante), as well as courses that require something other than exams only (Business Comm, English Comp I & II require papers, Intro to Comm requires speeches), and courses that are instructor-led.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • VanillaBean
(06-07-2018, 04:46 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Courses from providers other than McGraw-Hill are higher (Survey of World History, Intro to Stats, Intro to Psych, and IT Fundamentals from Acrobatiq; Gen Calc I & II and Gen Physics I from ThinkWell; and Intro to Programming in C++ from Zyante), as well as courses that require something other than exams only (Business Comm, English Comp I & II require papers, Intro to Comm requires speeches), and courses that are instructor-led.

Thank you!
(06-07-2018, 12:32 PM)VanillaBean Wrote: has anyone taken either of these recently?

A couple of ?s

Psychology is a bit more at $74 instead of $59.  Does anyone know why?  
Are there any written papers?

Sociology does not have a grading breakdown.  Has anyone taken this course that could tell me a bit about it (ie, how many exams, points, any written papers, etc....)

I am currently taking the Sociology. They have broken it down into 5 discussion topics whereby they give you a prompt and you write a short essay 150-250 words. There is 10 Quizzes of 15 multiple choice question timed 30 minutes. Then there is a mid term and a proctored final exam.

(06-25-2018, 05:51 PM)donddonBSN Wrote: I am currently taking the Sociology. They have broken it down into 5 discussion topics whereby they give you a prompt and you write a short essay 150-250 words. There is 10 Quizzes of 15 multiple choice question timed 30 minutes. Then there is a mid term and a proctored final exam.

Thank you!

May I ask the point breakdown please?  As in how many points are each quiz worth?  How many points are each short essay worth?  How many points is the midterm and final worth each?
(06-25-2018, 05:51 PM)donddonBSN Wrote: I am currently taking the Sociology. They have broken it down into 5 discussion topics whereby they give you a prompt and you write a short essay 150-250 words. There is 10 Quizzes of 15 multiple choice question timed 30 minutes. Then there is a mid term and a proctored final exam.

OMG, this sounds like a lot of work for a very easy course.  I would just go take the CLEP, or else take the Study.com course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-25-2018, 08:57 PM)VanillaBean Wrote:

Thank you!

May I ask the point breakdown please?  As in how many points are each quiz worth?  How many points are each short essay worth?  How many points is the midterm and final worth each?

The course syllabus is viewable without being a member of SL. Just click on the course and you can open the breakdown.
I replied to another post on how to get the 59 dollar version that's what I'm taking now. Much less work.

Thank you!

Sorry I have not been here in a while. Seems someone already answered the question. Yes if you go to the course and check the syllabus you will find the point break down.

(06-25-2018, 11:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

OMG, this sounds like a lot of work for a very easy course.  I would just go take the CLEP, or else take the Study.com course.

Am planning to take nursing at WGU and SL was the only online classes I had researched on before starting. Would CLEP and Study.com be transferable to WGU? I need to read up on them. Am new to all this faster online distance classes.
(06-26-2018, 01:13 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

Thank you!

The course syllabus is viewable without being a member of SL.  Just click on the course and you can open the breakdown.

last time I checked there was not a point breakdown on the course syllabus.  

Just checked and unfortunately there is still not a specific breakdown.  It says tests 1-7 worth 70% and the final worth 30% but not a breakdown like is given with most all of the other courses.  i.e., test 1 100 points, test 2 100 points, midterm 250 points, test 3 100 points, etc...

(07-25-2018, 06:18 PM)donddonBSN Wrote:

Thank you!

Sorry I have not been here in a while. Seems someone already answered the question. Yes if you go to the course and check the syllabus you will find the point break down.

no apology needed.  Thank you and cookderosa for suggesting the sylabus.  Unfortunately there is a rough breakdown but not a specific breakdown like is given for most courses .  

they only list the tests worth 70% and the final worth 30% where most other courses they list specific points per test.  i.e., test 1 100 points, test 2 100 points, midterm 250 points etc..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offer for StraighterLine Course hsufeng 0 79 Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 532 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 186 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,311 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 344 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 345 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 725 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 441 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 649 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Coopersmith Positive Psychology TwinMom 2 435 10-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: TwinMom