Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strayer University degree plan
(11-03-2020, 01:23 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 01:13 PM)ylmir Wrote: It would be extraordinarily difficult, I think, to take 12 classes in one semester, but I've heard that they offer a number of challenge exams to get credit, so it might work if you can study enough for those in the next couple months and pass enough. I've not crunched the numbers to see if it would be reasonable to attempt, but it's a possibility
That's true! I forgot that they have challenge exams! So there is a real possibility to graduate with taking 6 challenge exams and 6 courses at Strayer?  Idea That would be wonderful, considering the fact that I'm broke atm  Shy

Challenge exams do not count as residency credits & during your first term you will always be limited to a maximum of 4 courses (18 quarter credits). My advice would be to take advantage of the free term as best as you can (3-4 classes is still a good portion of a degree), and transfer the credit somewhere cheaper.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • rachel83az
(11-03-2020, 11:26 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote: Challenge exams do not count as residency credits & during your first term you will always be limited to a maximum of 4 courses (18 quarter credits). My advice would be to take advantage of the free term as best as you can (3-4 classes is still a good portion of a degree), and transfer the credit somewhere cheaper.

This is what I'd suggest.  Do what you can during the winter term, and add a challenge exam or two if you can as well.  Then take all of that over to one of the Big 3.

Also, I'd make sure that I'm taking UL courses and exams.  It doesn't do much to take a bunch of LL courses, which are easy to get just about anywhere.  The real bang-for-your-buck is with UL courses in your AOS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hey Anar, I got your private message and thanks for the praise, I'll reply back with a link to this thread of yours... Basically, my recommendation is to just take the free term for transfer credit elsewhere, such as the Big 3 or other competency based degree providers and not complete the degree at Strayer because of a few reasons...  1.  They're For Profit  2. Expensive (even with discount)  3. Recognition (not really known)  4. Alumni/Networking ability in the future

Even with the free term, they're basically offering you a discount to their degrees, you can also get a secondary discount as they currently have a "Grad Fund" for 25% off the Bachelors, but you can only get the discount at the END of the program.  Here's my calculation at $1480/course:  Free Term you get up to 4 courses, you need to take 2 more terms, at 4 courses each for a total of 12 courses, this is if you can transfer in all 28 and it's all accepted...

Link: https://www.strayer.edu/tuition-and-fina...ation-fund
Term 1: 4 free courses, there are no other costs involved (i don't think)
Term 2: 4 courses at $1480/course - no other costs involved
Term 3: 4 courses at $1480/course - 2 course discount of $1480/course
Total: $5920+$5920-$2960 discount = $8880 (you can get a Free associates on the way though)

If there was no free term, but a graduation fund discount, $14800 for the Bachelors.   For the price of the Associates/Bachelors combo without the free term, I would rather get it from a recognized public/state university such as TESU instead for cheaper too.  I mean, I can get 2 associates/2 bachelors for less than this price of $14800 total, in fact it would be roughly $8-9K for the cost, depending on degree you're selecting, my recommendation/verdict is to transfer all courses you can to another program...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-05-2020, 01:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Link: https://www.strayer.edu/tuition-and-fina...ation-fund
Total: $5920+$5920-$2960 discount = $8880 (you can get a Free associates on the way though)

There's also the cost of books/materials, which Strayer estimates at $150 per course (which I believe should be the only expenses for the free Winter 2021 term). They also charge a $65 tech fee per term & a graduation fee @ $150.

A bachelor's under $10k isn't the worst deal on the planet, but it definitely could be better.
(11-05-2020, 01:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey Anar, I got your private message and thanks for the praise, I'll reply back with a link to this thread of yours... Basically, my recommendation is to just take the free term for transfer credit elsewhere, such as the Big 3 or other competency based degree providers and not complete the degree at Strayer because of a few reasons...  1.  They're For Profit  2. Expensive (even with discount)  3. Recognition (not really known)  4. Alumni/Networking ability in the future

Even with the free term, they're basically offering you a discount to their degrees, you can also get a secondary discount as they currently have a "Grad Fund" for 25% off the Bachelors, but you can only get the discount at the END of the program.  Here's my calculation at $1480/course:  Free Term you get up to 4 courses, you need to take 2 more terms, at 4 courses each for a total of 12 courses, this is if you can transfer in all 28 and it's all accepted...

Link: https://www.strayer.edu/tuition-and-fina...ation-fund

If there was no free term, but a graduation fund discount, $14800 for the Bachelors.   For the price of the Associates/Bachelors combo without the free term, I would rather get it from a recognized public/state university such as TESU instead for cheaper too.  I mean, I can get 2 associates/2 bachelors for less than this price of $14800 total, in fact it would be roughly $8-9K for the cost, depending on degree you're selecting, my recommendation/verdict is to transfer all courses you can to another program...

Hi Bjcheung! Thank you a lot for clarifying a lot of things! I decided to change my plan. I think I'll take a course and challenge exams at SU, but after winter term will transfer to UMPI. I posted a new thread where I wrote my new degree plan, could you please look at it later? I would appreciate it a lot! 8)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 83 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 593 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,166 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,905 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 214 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 205 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,153 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Interdisciplinary from Liberty University Hami8665 3 186 04-16-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,305 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM