Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Loan Debt
Is the student loan debt going to be forgiven with this new administration?
If so is it worth the gamble to incur debt so it will be forgiven?

Isn't what we all voted for after alll? Big Grin
It's certainly not what I voted for...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-14-2020, 10:45 PM)Seagull Wrote: Is the student loan debt going to be forgiven with this new administration?

Yes, borrow as much as you can.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(11-15-2020, 12:05 AM)StoicJ Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 10:45 PM)Seagull Wrote: Is the student loan debt going to be forgiven with this new administration?

Yes, borrow as much as you can.

/s

^ You dropped this Tongue

Personally, I'm going to sign up for 5 Master's degrees and rack up 150k in debt, then fake my death and assume the role of my totally real twin brother with the same name when the Biden administration ultimately fails to actually enact these nutbar plans
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thorne's post:
  • StoicJ
Who knows if this will actually manifest or not. It certainly won't help those of us who funded our own college degrees or those who have already paid off their past college debts. Either way, I am not expecting there to really be any kind of debt forgiveness program for people with multiple degrees.

Personally, I'd love to see the country go back to providing solid funding for public colleges as other countries do. So between state and federal support, colleges will be able to provide free (or much cheaper) in-state tuition for college students. College tuition increases are due in large part to the reduction in federal funding for colleges. A good chunk of the tuition at big schools goes toward funding scholarships for students from low-income families. So my hope is that with increased federal funding to public colleges and universities, they will be able to greatly reduce or eliminate tuition for in-state students pursuing their first degree and reduce tuition for out-of-state and folks and those seeking additional and/or advanced degrees.

I doubt that any of these programs will really help foreign students much. But if overall support is increased and schools don't have to fund their own scholarship programs, overall costs should come down for foreign students as well.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-15-2020, 05:02 AM)Merlin Wrote: Who knows if this will actually manifest or not. It certainly won't help those of us who funded our own college degrees or those who have already paid off their past college debts. Either way, I am not expecting there to really be any kind of debt forgiveness program for people with multiple degrees.

Personally, I'd love to see the country go back to providing solid funding for public colleges as other countries do. So between state and federal support, colleges will be able to provide free (or much cheaper) in-state tuition for college students. College tuition increases are due in large part to the reduction in federal funding for colleges. A good chunk of the tuition at big schools goes toward funding scholarships for students from low-income families. So my hope is that with increased federal funding to public colleges and universities, they will be able to greatly reduce or eliminate tuition for in-state students pursuing their first degree and reduce tuition for out-of-state and folks and those seeking additional and/or advanced degrees.

I doubt that any of these programs will really help foreign students much. But if overall support is increased and schools don't have to fund their own scholarship programs, overall costs should come down for foreign students as well.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

I'm guessing that if you give colleges more money, they will spend it on more administrators rather than students.  Just my guess, but I'm going from past experience.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cerich67
(11-15-2020, 11:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm guessing that if you give colleges more money, they will spend it on more administrators rather than students.  Just my guess, but I'm going from past experience.

I agree. There needs to be a tuition cap, not just blindly giving schools more money.

And I don't completely buy the higher tuition is because of scholarships thing. If tuition was lower, more students wouldn't need scholarships. Schools just say that because giving away a couple of scholarships makes them look good while still being able to rake in the dough. Except it's an unsustainable gravy train, as evidenced by the number of schools that are now struggling to make ends meet.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-15-2020, 11:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm guessing that if you give colleges more money, they will spend it on more administrators rather than students.  Just my guess, but I'm going from past experience.

I would hope that this would come with stipulations as to how the money must be used for tuition relief.

Prior to the 1980's, tuition was super low. Low enough that average families could afford to send their kids to college without student loans. When the government started reducing funding to colleges, tuition prices started to spike. This would ideally reverse that trend or make college inexpensive or tuition-free for local students, like schools in Europe.

(11-15-2020, 11:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree. There needs to be a tuition cap, not just blindly giving schools more money.

And I don't completely buy the higher tuition is because of scholarships thing. If tuition was lower, more students wouldn't need scholarships. Schools just say that because giving away a couple of scholarships makes them look good while still being able to rake in the dough. Except it's an unsustainable gravy train, as evidenced by the number of schools that are now struggling to make ends meet.

It isn't all schools, but this is well documented. The big schools set aside like 40% of all tuition toward scholarships for low-income students.

I don't think blindly giving schools money makes any sense. There has to be rules on how the money gets used. A tuition cap would be another approach. But that is harder to manage since schools have different tuition requirements based on their size and the type and number of academic programs.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I wouldn't count on anything until this actually makes it's way through Congress and they pay some bills. Until then, it's all a hope and a dream.
(11-15-2020, 04:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I wouldn't count on anything until this actually makes it's way through Congress and they pay some bills. Until then, it's all a hope and a dream.

For sure. Until it's actually a done deal, don't rack up debt. I assume the folks talking about racking up debt are joking and poking fun at this more than anything.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,533 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 748 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 595 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,290 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 439 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 718 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student Loan Forgiveness dodek101 31 3,984 07-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 723 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,551 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Rainbow Compiled List of Student Discounts jsd 0 599 05-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: jsd