Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Loan Forgiveness
Btw, I'm moving this to off-topic since political discussions and policy speculations don't really have a place in the main forums.

(12-08-2020, 06:08 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: To answer the first question though, Biden won’t be president.  

Well, I certainly hope you are wrong there. Considering that courts all agree that there is no evidence of fraud, I don't see the basis for the claim that Biden will not become the next president given his campaign earned way more electors than required.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • dodek101, LongRoad, rachel83az
(12-08-2020, 08:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: Btw, I'm moving this to off-topic since political discussions and policy speculations don't really have a place in the main forums.

(12-08-2020, 06:08 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: To answer the first question though, Biden won’t be president.  

Well, I certainly hope you are wrong there. Considering that courts all agree that there is no evidence of fraud, I don't see the basis for the claim that Biden will not become the next president given his campaign earned way more electors than required.

I'm guessing the poster might mean Kamala Harris?  I shudder at the thought...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I didn't go to college because I could not afford it, and the jobs I got suffered because of it. Other people took out loans, got degrees, and are now in management. So my boss wont have to pay back their loan, and I still wont have a degree. That's BS. If they lose their debt, they should lose their degree.
(12-08-2020, 10:22 PM)reylok Wrote: I didn't go to college because I could not afford it, and the jobs I got suffered because of it.  Other people took out loans, got degrees, and are now in management.  So my boss wont have to pay back their loan, and I still wont have a degree. That's BS.  If they lose their debt, they should lose their degree.
Hmmm there is fallacy in this type of logic, 
I sense resentment, 
A loan doesn't cancel out all the hours of study to earn a degree, a loan doesn't buy you a degree, it facilitates the payments but the work is still there, up to the student to earn those grades
Colleges overcharge. 
But no one should lose their degree because a loan is forgiven.
And one doesn't need a degree to make big money, it is all about hard work, dedication and skills.
(12-08-2020, 08:15 PM)Merlin Wrote: Btw, I'm moving this to off-topic since political discussions and policy speculations don't really have a place in the main forums.

Well if by no evidence you mean the machine that flipped 6000 votes from one candidate to another, hundreds of sworn affidavits, a video actually showing the fraud, and not allowing for audits and inspection while counting--then yeah Biden’s got this. Then we also have states that fraudulently changed their election laws bypassing the Constitution, but I'm sure Biden has got this.

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • Sapientes
(12-08-2020, 10:47 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 10:22 PM)reylok Wrote: I didn't go to college because I could not afford it, and the jobs I got suffered because of it.  Other people took out loans, got degrees, and are now in management.  So my boss wont have to pay back their loan, and I still wont have a degree. That's BS.  If they lose their debt, they should lose their degree.

I sense resentment, 
A loan doesn't cancel out all the hours of study to earn a degree, a loan doesn't buy you a degree, it facilitates the payments but the work is still there, up to the student to earn those grades
Colleges overcharge. 

I agree. But I can also see why some people may be resentful. Particularly those who were unwilling or unable to complete the degree they wanted when they were younger.

That said, earning a degree takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Unless someone comes from a family of wealth where the money for college isn't a concern, attending college requires certain sacrifices. Forgiving some college debt doesn't take away the effort and time it took to earn the degree. I'm sure they didn't pursue the degree with the intention of taking on debt because they knew it would be forgiven later.

Anyone can (and has always been able to) get a degree if they are willing to make sacrifices. For some people that means working hard in high school to earn scholarships and grants; or working multiple jobs for a few years to earn money for college; or spending several years in military service. Others take on debt that will likely follow them around for the bulk of their adult life. Here on this forum people's sacrifices include doing a ton of research, spending a lot of time figuring out a plan and taking courses, and assuming some risk by pursuing a non-traditional education that may not be accepted everywhere, in exchange for paying a lot less for a college degree.

Personally, I disagree with the concept of debt forgiveness unless it is a one-time thing and comes in conjunction with a change in the way public colleges are funded (and how college expenses are audited). Otherwise, we're going to be right back in the same place we were in a few years. Nobody should be required to take on debt to get a 4-year degree from a public college or university. Sure, if they want to pay to go to a fancy private school, that is their choice but so is the debt responsibility. There should always be an avenue for free or inexpensive college that is available to everyone who pays taxes.

(12-08-2020, 10:47 PM)Seagull Wrote: And one doesn't need a degree to make big money, it is all about hard work, dedication and skills.

I can attest to this. I didn't earn my first degree until a couple of years ago and I'm far closer to retirement than I am to college age. I've been earning a very good living for most of my adult life. But it had nothing to do with my academic accolades. It was more about self-education, picking up some valuable skills, honing my craft by putting in a lot of time and hard work, taking some calculated risks, and making the right kind of connections along the way. I've never needed a degree to earn a living. I really only decided to pursue a degree because it was a life goal of mine to do so and now that I've started down the path, I have determined that I really like academia and I want to eventually earn a doctorate so I can teach, or maybe do research and write books later in life.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I sense resentment, 
Colleges overcharge. 
And one doesn't need a degree to make big money, it is all about hard work, dedication and skills.
Your reasoning is exactly why college loans are not supposed to be forgiven.
If you believe that education is a right where you should receive education free of charge, then the most logical solution is that those professors must provide education without pay — making them your serfs.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • StoicJ
(12-09-2020, 11:00 AM)reylok Wrote:
I sense resentment, 
Colleges overcharge. 
Your reasoning is exactly why college loans are not supposed to be forgiven.
No, the point to my reasoning is that if a person has skills they can succeed regardless of whether they have a degree or not. I see lots of people with Masters degrees or further and they are either unemployed or have no idea what to do with their degree. I have witnessed people that could not read run a successful business. If you are resentful, you are either in the wrong line of work or you are lazy. If the government wants to forgive debt, the people who did all the work should bot lose their degree.
(12-08-2020, 01:55 PM)dodek101 Wrote: Lately, there is a lot of talk about canceling up to $50, 000 for student loan borrowers with new administration.
I was wondering if there is a chance for this to actually happens?.

I’ve heard of $10,000 maximum forgiveness. I think it has a good chance of happening in his first 4 years.
BABA, New England College, 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,533 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 748 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 595 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,290 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 439 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Student discounts (valid for multiple countries) rachel83az 3 718 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 723 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  $347,000 in student debt who can't land a job... bjcheung77 12 1,551 07-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Alpha
Rainbow Compiled List of Student Discounts jsd 0 599 05-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Student Loan Debt Alpha 9 1,126 03-13-2022, 03:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az