Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session
(02-23-2024, 01:45 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Try working backwards. Trying submitting milestones at once; why? Cause u get your feedback at once which u can use to gauge your speed. Do you need to slow down and shoot for a higher grade, or can you take a couple more hours, submit everything, and move on to the next class?

Discords servers, Reddit, and a bunch of other places talk about which UMPI yourpace professors are a pain in the butt, and which ones are not; research it, obviously this forum is not the only show in town.

The poster you said was unhelpful left you a big GIANT clue. If what she/he said is true (which it is), then there are classes that give you access to the FA off the rip.

Not everyone is in a rush, but some folks have time and financial constraints and are barely carving out the $1500 for UMPI, so the tone of your post is noted. I respect that. But keep in mind that most people will take 2 terms. That said, if you plan your work and do a bit of research, and carve out 40-60 hours a week, you should be done sooner than you think. No one can guarantee anything... but your chances are good.

I feel a lot more confident reading this post that I can get this knocked on the head. I've strated doing research on courses and professors on Discord which is always quite an interesting read. I'm factoring in response times and so on into my plan and its still looking do-able.

(02-24-2024, 05:08 AM)ashkir Wrote: When I did this, I tackled worked on both classes at once. You're typically assigned 2. I work my way up to Milestone 1, submit it. I switch to the other class, and do Milestone 1 and submit it. I hopped back and forth. If the concept is something you're very familiar with, keep at it. I've had a day where I did every milestone in one class, in the same day. Don't be afraid to work ahead, if you're comfortable with the subject. That's why it's competency based.

Eng 101 and 121 aren't too bad. The biggest criticism about the 121 is the professor is a bit nit-picky about your citations. You should practice citations. Practice on citation machine and Purdue Owl. Practice making a Annotated Bibliography.

BUS 200 - Intermediate Business Computing, has some outdated text. But, it's pretty straight forward and not too hard if you're computer literate.

ENG 151 - Intro to Lit, the professor is known for being a bit tough. She has high expectations and you're learning from someone with a PhD in it. The course has complex text and if you're not good at dissecting literature, you will struggle. She's known for being slow to respond.

Bus 141 - Project Management. Do you have any experience with Microsoft Project? Or any other Project Management tools? Start watching YouTube videos on this and how to use it. Start exploring some budgets, and how to make a budget. You also need to learn the fundlementals of being a project manager. You'd need to be intimately familiar with:
- Approach
- Managing Team
- Milestones
- WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
- Cost Control
- Schedule
- Quality Assurance
- Resource Management.

BUS 343 - Risk Management. This was an exam back when I took this. Focus on understanding the fundamental concepts of risk identification, assessment, and mitigation strategies, and actively engage in case studies to apply these concepts in real-world scenarios. Stay current with industry trends and regulatory changes, as these can significantly impact risk management practices and decision-making.

BUS 325 - Financial Management. This wasn't too bad. But, you will need to do some math. Basically you need to pretend you're a finance manager and you're going to plan and coordinate your company's finances. You're going to need to analyze markets, investments, and make decisions about your company's capital and how this can  help you grow your assets.

HUM 103 - Creative Decision Making. This was actually pretty fun and you can be unique on your own. I don't expect this to slow you down at all.

BUS 469 - This is basically a "capstone" for the undergrad. You're going to need to focus on strategy and culture and how to communicate this with your team and market. You're going to need to be familiar with SWOT, reviewing resumes, interviewing, and giving your team active feedback. This is going to test your communication skills as a manager and how you approach coaching, team building, crises, and motivations.

BUS 359 - I don't know too much about this sorry.

Very informative and incredibly helpful, thanks for taking the time to write all of that out and especially breaking it down course by course. Hugely appreciated!

I am slightly nervous about the English courses given the feedback I've read about some of the professors online. I'm factoring in the response times and potential rework into my plan and its looking doable. As for Project Management, I have extensive experience in that area as well as risk and finance management so I'm very confident I can get that done in good time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FM1's post:
  • RachelB
(02-24-2024, 05:08 AM)ashkir Wrote: When I did this, I tackled worked on both classes at once. You're typically assigned 2. I work my way up to Milestone 1, submit it. I switch to the other class, and do Milestone 1 and submit it. I hopped back and forth. If the concept is something you're very familiar with, keep at it. I've had a day where I did every milestone in one class, in the same day. Don't be afraid to work ahead, if you're comfortable with the subject. That's why it's competency based.

Eng 101 and 121 aren't too bad. The biggest criticism about the 121 is the professor is a bit nit-picky about your citations. You should practice citations. Practice on citation machine and Purdue Owl. Practice making a Annotated Bibliography.

BUS 200 - Intermediate Business Computing, has some outdated text. But, it's pretty straight forward and not too hard if you're computer literate.

ENG 151 - Intro to Lit, the professor is known for being a bit tough. She has high expectations and you're learning from someone with a PhD in it. The course has complex text and if you're not good at dissecting literature, you will struggle. She's known for being slow to respond.

Bus 141 - Project Management. Do you have any experience with Microsoft Project? Or any other Project Management tools? Start watching YouTube videos on this and how to use it. Start exploring some budgets, and how to make a budget. You also need to learn the fundlementals of being a project manager. You'd need to be intimately familiar with:
- Approach
- Managing Team
- Milestones
- WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
- Cost Control
- Schedule
- Quality Assurance
- Resource Management.

BUS 343 - Risk Management. This was an exam back when I took this. Focus on understanding the fundamental concepts of risk identification, assessment, and mitigation strategies, and actively engage in case studies to apply these concepts in real-world scenarios. Stay current with industry trends and regulatory changes, as these can significantly impact risk management practices and decision-making.

BUS 325 - Financial Management. This wasn't too bad. But, you will need to do some math. Basically you need to pretend you're a finance manager and you're going to plan and coordinate your company's finances. You're going to need to analyze markets, investments, and make decisions about your company's capital and how this can  help you grow your assets.

HUM 103 - Creative Decision Making. This was actually pretty fun and you can be unique on your own. I don't expect this to slow you down at all.

BUS 469 - This is basically a "capstone" for the undergrad. You're going to need to focus on strategy and culture and how to communicate this with your team and market. You're going to need to be familiar with SWOT, reviewing resumes, interviewing, and giving your team active feedback. This is going to test your communication skills as a manager and how you approach coaching, team building, crises, and motivations.

BUS 359 - I don't know too much about this sorry.

(02-23-2024, 01:45 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Try working backwards. Trying submitting milestones at once; why? Cause u get your feedback at once which u can use to gauge your speed. Do you need to slow down and shoot for a higher grade, or can you take a couple more hours, submit everything, and move on to the next class?

Discords servers, Reddit, and a bunch of other places talk about which UMPI yourpace professors are a pain in the butt, and which ones are not; research it, obviously this forum is not the only show in town.

The poster you said was unhelpful left you a big GIANT clue. If what she/he said is true (which it is), then there are classes that give you access to the FA off the rip.

Not everyone is in a rush, but some folks have time and financial constraints and are barely carving out the $1500 for UMPI, so the tone of your post is noted. I respect that. But keep in mind that most people will take 2 terms. That said, if you plan your work and do a bit of research, and carve out 40-60 hours a week, you should be done sooner than you think. No one can guarantee anything... but your chances are good.

I agree. UMPI requires 30 credits, but, there's no rule to say they can't overlap. If someone is trying to "race" and do the 10 easiest, they should focus on which professors/classes they want based upon student reviews, then shape their plan to go after those. However, the professors and classes change often enough it's hard to plan this.

Could you recommend some of the upper level classes that are typically known for being easier? I know this is fairly subjective, but, as an example, I've done 2 Dr. Z classes that had 3 essays, and now I'm doing 1 Dr. Z class that has 6. The later, I'd like to avoid repeating in the future lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes caspermac's post:
  • Pikachu
I have no specific advice, except to say that I hope you'll keep the community in the loop about your process. I work with people with major financial challenges but lots of time that are pursuing routes like this, and knowing how your experience goes (and tips you find useful) would be super helpful to a lot of folks in this community.
(03-01-2024, 05:59 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: I have no specific advice, except to say that I hope you'll keep the community in the loop about your process.  I work with people with major financial challenges but lots of time that are pursuing routes like this, and knowing how your experience goes (and tips you find useful) would be super helpful to a lot of folks in this community.

I definitely will.

On a separate note, is there any order I should take each of these courses in? Does ordering the courses make any difference at all?
(03-04-2024, 07:43 PM)FM1 Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 05:59 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: I have no specific advice, except to say that I hope you'll keep the community in the loop about your process.  I work with people with major financial challenges but lots of time that are pursuing routes like this, and knowing how your experience goes (and tips you find useful) would be super helpful to a lot of folks in this community.

I definitely will.

On a separate note, is there any order I should take each of these courses in? Does ordering the courses make any difference at all?

Order really makes no difference.  Also Ashkir's assessment of 469 is much different than I experienced this session.  The milestones were very quick 2-3 sentence answers.  The final focused on strategic communication to further a company's goals.  A blend of paper, powerpoint and presentation.  It was my favorite course at UMPI.  It isn't the capstone, that is 489. 

I finished 11 courses at UMPI, and a Google Coursera PM Certification in 4 weeks time.  I was dedicated and diligent.  I also am a leader and executive professionally, which contributed greatly to having contextual experience I could easily write about. 

Attaching my full degree plan here.  I started out planning to do BABA Management & Leadership.  I changed to BLS, Management, Business Administration, and Project Management minors.

Attached Files
.pdf   UMPI My Degree.xlsx - My BLS Plan-1.pdf (Size: 52.63 KB / Downloads: 40)
[-] The following 5 users Like CCCollege's post:
  • 10YearBachelor, Ares, jg_nuy, Pikachu, RachelB
(03-04-2024, 11:49 PM)CCCollege Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 07:43 PM)FM1 Wrote:

I definitely will.

Order really makes no difference.  Also Ashkir's assessment of 469 is much different than I experienced this session.  The milestones were very quick 2-3 sentence answers.  The final focused on strategic communication to further a company's goals.  A blend of paper, powerpoint and presentation.  It was my favorite course at UMPI.  It isn't the capstone, that is 489. 

I finished 11 courses at UMPI, and a Google Coursera PM Certification in 4 weeks time.  I was dedicated and diligent.  I also am a leader and executive professionally, which contributed greatly to having contextual experience I could easily write about. 

Attaching my full degree plan here.  I started out planning to do BABA Management & Leadership.  I changed to BLS, Management, Business Administration, and Project Management minors.

Hey! First, I wanted to say that I like the plan you put together on this. I had an overly specific question. I was also looking into the BABA Management & Leadership but was more impressed with the flexibility of the BLS and the number of minors you can attach to it. I wondered if anything was negative about having a Bachelor of Liberal Studies or if nothing was ever said about the Liberal Studies portion. I had not heard of it before reading into UMPI and this forum. I know the important part is typically having a bachelor's degree, but I was more curious if there was any pushback or grief given over that. I work in leadership and analytics. The PM/BA/M & CAPM minors fit what I want to do. I appreciate any incite. I have read online that there shouldn't be any issues, but I have never been able to ask someone firsthand about their experience. If I overlooked this question being asked somewhere previously, I apologize for missing that before asking.
(05-25-2024, 07:16 PM)10YearBachelor Wrote: Hey! First, I wanted to say that I like the plan you put together on this. I had an overly specific question. I was also looking into the BABA Management & Leadership but was more impressed with the flexibility of the BLS and the number of minors you can attach to it. I wondered if anything was negative about having a Bachelor of Liberal Studies or if nothing was ever said about the Liberal Studies portion. I had not heard of it before reading into UMPI and this forum. I know the important part is typically having a bachelor's degree, but I was more curious if there was any pushback or grief given over that. I work in leadership and analytics. The PM/BA/M & CAPM minors fit what I want to do. I appreciate any incite. I have read online that there shouldn't be any issues, but I have never been able to ask someone firsthand about their experience. If I overlooked this question being asked somewhere previously, I apologize for missing that before asking.

Basically, it's 3 minors that can be done with the BAS and BLS, the CAPM minor I don't think is an option, but you can do the PM minor, furthermore, the BA minor isn't in the Your Pace program, but you can complete it as long as the classes are all transferred in or completed with a class on the Your Pace platform. Here's an example of the BAS with MIS, PM minors, in addition to the 4 MAOL classes, you can add a third minor, the Management if you needed: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid420108
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • 10YearBachelor
(05-25-2024, 08:04 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 07:16 PM)10YearBachelor Wrote: Hey! First, I wanted to say that I like the plan you put together on this. I had an overly specific question. I was also looking into the BABA Management & Leadership but was more impressed with the flexibility of the BLS and the number of minors you can attach to it. I wondered if anything was negative about having a Bachelor of Liberal Studies or if nothing was ever said about the Liberal Studies portion. I had not heard of it before reading into UMPI and this forum. I know the important part is typically having a bachelor's degree, but I was more curious if there was any pushback or grief given over that. I work in leadership and analytics. The PM/BA/M & CAPM minors fit what I want to do. I appreciate any incite. I have read online that there shouldn't be any issues, but I have never been able to ask someone firsthand about their experience. If I overlooked this question being asked somewhere previously, I apologize for missing that before asking.

Basically, it's 3 minors that can be done with the BAS and BLS, the CAPM minor I don't think is an option, but you can do the PM minor, furthermore, the BA minor isn't in the Your Pace program, but you can complete it as long as the classes are all transferred in or completed with a class on the Your Pace platform.  Here's an example of the BAS with MIS, PM minors, in addition to the 4 MAOL classes, you can add a third minor, the Management if you needed: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid420108

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me on this and for the detailed information. I was also researching the option with the MIS minor. The 4 MAOL classes are exciting to complete when working on this BLS.
That is poor wording on my part. I believe the CAPM is the PM certificate to apply for during the program. The only difference between the PM Minor and the certificate is BUS-469. The description at least appears you can get it in the YourPace Program.
I am looking at a similar path to the one linked in the post of the BOG AAS to UMPI BLS + Minors to MAOL (I want the BOG AAS to have something from the years in college). I'm unsure if you can still tack on the UMPI AALS, but I plan on trying. Once I clear out all the Sophia/Coursea courses, I will post something with the degree plan to ensure I haven't overlooked anything.

My primary concern is if the BLS is looked at differently than the BABA/BS/BA degrees or if I have overthought that part. My logic is that multiple minors would look better, but it's been years since I have done hiring, and when I hired in restaurants, I hired purely on experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing UMPI vs Study.com Ljanelle 7 213 8 hours ago
Last Post: Ljanelle
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 199 Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean
  Project Management - STD credits or Google Certifications DavidGood 6 431 07-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  Summer Session 1 Waiting on Conferral OldLadyScholar 2 112 07-22-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: OldLadyScholar
  Graduating after a single session kyledudedog 5 482 07-20-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 5 305 07-18-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Rainbow UMPI Gen Eds leftover credits question ecomony 4 303 07-16-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Tequila 4 391 07-16-2024, 01:19 AM
  Transfer credits came in as general electives achraf15 10 777 07-07-2024, 03:40 PM
  Denied Financial Aid Because of 182 Credits. Adam54321 25 1,510 07-01-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: dy4242