Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com - Course Progress? Is this normal??
Good evening all,
After finishing the Finance class (due to the guardian scholarship), I started two nights ago MAT 97. There’s a lot of info so far and I have been doing a few hours or so each day since Friday through tonight.

My question to the study.com pro’s our there: do you watch and/or read EVERY class lesson? That is what I am doing and there are a 123 lessons in this course which averages 8 minutes per video.

I have watched or read every lesson and completed all the quizzes up to chapter 6 out of 22. How is it though that some people literally FLY through the study.com courses? Is if due to having strong prior knowledge and you just jump right to the quizzes? Am I missing something?

I did the basic math calculation and if I watch every lesson, average 8 minutes each, for all lessons that would be a total of 16.4 hours (not counting the time for the quizzes or to study for the final exam). Let’s say you study for about 2-3 hours in prep for the proctored final exam, is 20 hours the norm for each class?

It just seems that some people get through these courses in a day (some multiple courses in a day).

If any can share their insights into this or experience I would really appreciate it because it seems like it’s really time consuming (but maybe it should be??).

Thanks again.
For the courses I've taken, I've read almost everything, skimming things I already know. I do though, open up a second browser alongside the reading, and take the quiz as I'm reading, so I can refer back as needed.

I do not retake quizzes if I get 4 out of 5.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Since math isn’t so much knowing definitions and vocab, but rather building on each lesson, do you handle the math classes the same way as your other courses - such as a psychology or sociology course?

(03-11-2018, 10:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For the courses I've taken, I've read almost everything, skimming things I already know. I do though, open up a second browser alongside the reading, and take the quiz as I'm reading, so I can refer back as needed.

I do not retake quizzes if I get 4 out of 5.

... and also, on average for your study.com courses, including lessons and studying for final proctored exam, how many hours do you usually take to complete a course on there?
Prior knowledge and your own goals have a lot to do with the speed. If you know a subject already, reading the material is sufficient, but for things you aren’t familiar wraith, you will need to slow down and watching the videos certainly helps.

I took a bunch of business courses, which went very quickly due to workplace training I had received. But when taking Statistics, especially the math portions (which I haven’t used in years) the videos were needed for it to make sense to me... some I even watched twice.

A couple tips on the videos... First, there is a little settings button on the player that allows the video to be set to go faster, up to 2X normal speed. Also, there is a Timeline function beneath the video that lets you jump to a topic within the lesson, or jump back if something didn’t make sense.

One other nice thing is a lot of courses overlap, so for example if you check the other Finance courses, you should have some progress already after completing your first one. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zavala's post:
  • Muldoon
20 hours sounds about right for a course with minimal to no previous knowledge, for me anyway. I took HIST 308 (Vietnam) something as a Canadian I knew absolutely nothing about. It was a 3 day marathon event for me, 8 hours a day. That put me at a high level of confidence going into the proctored final.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • Muldoon
2hrs a day 5 days a week for two weeks is about what I plan for my son. A few classes are easier, some are harder & take longer. I'm thinking Algebra & Pre Calc. We watch every video, but most of the time at 1.5X speed. I have done classes in a few days, but when I do it's 6-8 hrs a day.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes mudball's post:
  • Muldoon
On a topic I already know a lot about, maybe 12 hours, and if I don't maybe 20 hours if I want to go fast.

I often did 6 or more hours in a day, with lots of short breaks. I know that some others put in many hours per day like me. It would be a lousy day or two or three. Study, study more, study even more, eat, study more even though you are tired of it, etc.

I am good at speed reading, retaining info (if I put in extra effort), etc and in my opinion, most people do not have the time/focus/patience to hit them this hard. I'm one of the crazy one who was collecting credits fast because I wanted to save money and not let any credits pass me by (now though, I'm not as worried about getting all the undergrad credits). DegreeForum members tend to be the type who really want to complete courses faster.

I only watched about 10% of the videos for concepts that were harder to understand.

Also, some Study.com courses have overlap, so you could go to a course you have never opened before and find you're already 15% complete.

(03-11-2018, 10:15 PM)acamp Wrote: Good evening all,
After finishing the Finance class (due to the guardian scholarship), I started two nights ago MAT 97.   There’s a lot of info so far and I have been doing a few hours or so each day since Friday through tonight.  

My question to the study.com pro’s our there: do you  watch and/or read EVERY class lesson?   That is what I am doing and there are a 123 lessons in this course which averages 8 minutes per video.  

I have watched or read every lesson and completed all the quizzes up to chapter 6 out of 22.   How is it though that some people literally FLY through the study.com courses?   Is if due to having strong prior knowledge and you just jump right to the quizzes?   Am I missing something?

I did the basic math calculation and if I watch every lesson, average 8 minutes each, for all lessons that would be a total of 16.4 hours (not counting the time for the quizzes or to study for the final exam).  Let’s say you study for about 2-3 hours in prep for the proctored final exam, is 20 hours the norm for each class?

It just seems that some people get through these courses in a day (some multiple courses in a day).

If any can share their insights into this or experience I would really appreciate it because it seems like it’s really time consuming (but maybe it should be??).

Thanks again.

some Study.com courses are more like 40 lessons, is the piece of the puzzle you're missing. I've burned through a course in a day before but the ones that are 150ish take awhile and no one is knocking those out in a day or two
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • Muldoon
(03-12-2018, 09:00 PM)jsh1138 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 10:15 PM)acamp Wrote: It just seems that some people get through these courses in a day (some multiple courses in a day).

some Study.com courses are more like 40 lessons, is the piece of the puzzle you're missing. I've burned through a course in a day before but the ones that are 150ish take awhile and no one is knocking those out in a day or two

As jsh1138 mentioned, different courses have very different levels of content, but in general, it really depends on a lot of factors. I wouldn't worry so much about trying to get the courses done in a day. The shortest courses maybe... if you have a reasonable amount of prior knowledge, but you shouldn't expect that to be the norm.

From what I've seen, it seems like the Study.com courses (all the online courses probably) run from anywhere from 12 to 60 hours of study time to complete (for someone without an existing background in the material) and maybe longer for courses that require projects, papers, or a lot of practice (like math). So, it is true that if you can put in 12 hours of study time per day you can complete the easier courses in a day, but most people probably don't have that kind of time. I can usually dedicate 4-8 hours a day, so I expect that an "easy" 12-hour course will take me 2-3 days and a "hard" 60-hour course will take more like a week or two. My goal is to average 12 credits per month which will get me to 120 credits within 6 months or so. Assuming most of the courses I take end up in the easy-to-medium range, I should be good. Smile

YMMV, but I recommend you go into this with the expectation that a week per course on average is more reasonable than a day per course unless you can put in a ton of time per day and/or are only taking courses where you have a huge amount of prior knowledge.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
well to be fair, all the ones i've done so far were the ones that i knew alot about. if you're starting totally at square one with a subject then it would take much longer
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,340 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,596 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,428 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 737 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 359 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,902 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 586 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 310 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 731 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM