Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com - Course for Certificate, then for ACE?
Hi All...

I've been considering taking Study.com's Research Methods and see it's offered as a non-credit certificate course and for ACE credit. Does anyone know if you can take the certificate version first, then sign up for the same class for ACE credit?

Frankly, I considered taking the "RM" UExcel while I working on my BS, but was scared off by the math and statistics. If (big if) I ever plan on pursuing a Master's in Psychology, I'd like to see if I can handle "RM" in a Pass/Fail low-stress environment, so I thought I'd give Study.com a try. In an attempt to lower my stress level even further, I'd take the course for certification ($60 per month), and if successful, take it again for ACE credit ($200 per month). Is this possible?

Don't even mention that Psych would also mean having to take Statistics:willynilly: (which is why my other area of interest is totally math-free - Literature Big Grin)!

Thanks!
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Once you pass 80 or 85% of the quizzes at Study.com (I forget which) you automatically get a certificate. You can of course take the practice exams before you decided whether to take the credit bearing exam, but there's no need to pay twice. if you've done all the quizzes and passed the practice exam, just go for the proctored final.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Research Methods is a great course through study.com. it was very informative and easily completed in 3 days work or 18 hours straight including the final. Money well spent. Especially because it was the last course I needed for my BA.
KUJO Wrote:Research Methods is a great course through study.com. it was very informative and easily completed in 3 days work.

How on earth did you move so quickly through such a large amount of info? - very impressive!

(I, however, would still be taking notes on the Introductory Lesson on day 3...:o)!
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
the videos are very short and you move through quickly. i did Research Methods in 5 days i believe, without devoting too much time to them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:the videos are very short and you move through quickly. i did Research Methods in 5 days i believe, without devoting too much time to them.

WOW! You, Notgodot, and KUJO...ROCK!:hurray:

When I was studying for traditional exams (CLEP's, DSST's, UExcel's), my top warp speed was 2 months of prep. :willynilly:

Snail's pace, it's true, but I got the job done!Smile
2011-12  CLEP

SuZQ2 Wrote:How on earth did you move so quickly through such a large amount of info? - very impressive!

(I, however, would still be taking notes on the Introductory Lesson on day 3...:o)!

Study.com courses are good that they get right down to the point. I don't think any course on there took me more then 5days other then the Globalization & International Management one(do to the projects). My study.com strategy was..

1. Take All Quizzes
2. Practice Test for any chapters I though I was weak on
3. Run trough all the lessons one more time checking the Bolded Words
4. Making notes on the those things I didn't know
5. Study that sheet for a little while(it varied from 10mins - 1hour)
6. Take Final.

Think the worst I ever did on a final was a 69 and that was on the Macroeconomics course which I hated. I just flew through the quizzes then went straight into the final.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
I can get through most study.com courses in a few days too - My favorite strategy is to spend a couple hours reviewing the practice test(s). After all of the quizzes I take the practice test and then I take notes by hand in a notebook on every question - even the ones I got correctly. Depending on how well I did on the first practice test sometimes I will even take it again - the second time has some repeat questions and some new questions - probably about 50/50. I then will take notes on that second practice test - (if I opted to take the practice test a second time).
I've noticed a huge difference on my final exam grades when I do this. On almost all of the courses I have taken there are at least some - if not as many as 10 or 15 questions on the final exam that are exactly the same or nearly the same as questions on the practice tests.

I usually try to get through the quizzes as fast as possible without studying the lessons too thoroughly because I find studying the practice tests is faster and sufficient to pass the exam - so far.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 4 96 2 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,433 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,618 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,131 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 759 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 367 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,616 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,911 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle