Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Math 102 /Proctored Final Exam Questions
Hello all.  I posted a few days ago about my math requirement for a BS at Liberty U.  I ended up going with SDC's Math 102 (College Mathematics).  I have a question for anyone that has taken a math course with SDC.

The instructions say to have a scientific calculator.  Do they not provide one on screen?  Also, there one or two chapters I am struggling with; namely quadratic equations and squaring the root.  I feel pretty confident on the other subjects to far (I am through 50% of the course).  Do you think having a couple weak areas is something I can overcome and still pass the final?  I'll need a 55%.  Also, what is the proctored exam like?  I've never taken an online proctored exam before.  Thanks for your help!
I took one math course and one statistics course through SDC and both times I had to supply my own calculator.

You could be fine going into the final with a weak area or 2 but it really depends upon how the question breakdown is for your specific class. I'd advise to supplement your learning on your weak areas. Khan is a good general go to source for finding videos to help out with different math problems. There are also apps and websites that can help you with individual problems.

The proctored final is straight forward. Just make sure you follow the instructions for scanning your room, desk and materials.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
For quadratic equations, my recommendation is to memorize the quadratic formula and use it every time because it's the one method that works for EVERY quadratic equation. Other methods might be faster for some problems, but they don't work every time.

I'm not sure what is meant by "squaring the root" as I haven't seen that terminology before, but I currently have an active subscription so I'll try to look at it later and see if I have any tips for that.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
It's a method taught in algebra that moves the constant over to the other side and you square root both sides to get the answer. The quadratic equation can be done faster for simpler problems unless you get larger numbers.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Gotcha, if I'm thinking of the same method I've always heard it called "completing the square" rather than squaring the root.

OP, is there something in particular you're struggling with in terms of using this technique?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
My suggestion is to use the quadratic equation only when an equation cannot be perfectly reduced to factors. For example:
x^2 - 5x + 6 can be perfectly reduced to x^2 + (-3x - 2x) + (-3 . -2). It might be easier and faster to calculate this way. Just look for two numbers whose sum or difference is the coefficient of the central term, and product is the last term. And watch out for the + or - signs. If there is no coefficient, it is assumed to be 1. 

But if the equation were: x^2- 5x + 7, then there are no two real numbers, whose sum/difference is 5, and product is 7. Use the quadratic equation in this case, as that is the only way out.

Also, if there are coefficients to each of the variables, see if you can reduce the whole equation by dividing with a common number, before you factorize further. Eg: 3x^2 - 12x + 18 = 0 can be reduced to x^2 - 4x + 6 by dividing both sides by 3.

That's some tips for simplification that I am able to offer. Hope it helps.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Thank you all for your responses. I ended up studying the more difficult concepts with Khan Academy. I passed the final exam yesterday with an 84%!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mepdblue's post:
  • hsfamfun
Great! Congratulations.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
That is awesome!  Congratulations!
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,278 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,469 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,594 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly