Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Research Methods in Psych and Stats (or not)??
I'm planning to take study.com's Psych 105: Research Methods in Psychology soon, and I'm wondering if I should attempt their Intro Stats course first so I have a better general understanding of the concepts that might be in Research Methods in Psych? Or vice versa, if I should take Research Methods first and then attempt Intro Stats? Or is there enough crossover that it won't matter?

Along the same topic, as mentioned a while back, I haven't had much college-level math (and no stats) for over 20 yrs and am a tad rusty on that type of thing. For a TESU BA.SS in the 15-16 calendar year, stats isn't required. But I think most grad programs in any major nowadays require some type of stats undergrad course.

So am I correct in thinking that if I want to use alternative credit to check that stats box, perhaps now (before I graduate and that way it's on my transcript) is the time? Or since it's not required for my degree plan, will it not be much of a benefit me to take it sooner rather some time in the future? And if it's in the future, will the fact that it is alternative credit handicap my potential?

Or are there other options/ideas/suggestions?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I took Stats at a CC prior to doing Research Methods at Study.com. Even though I did well, it was long enough back that but I didn't really retain much and it wasnt particularly helpful or necessary for Research Methods. The class isn't math focused at all really. I don't recall any calculations on the exam, and if there were any, they were quick and easy ones. If anything, research methods would be a way to get your feet wet for a future stats course, if you plan to go that route.

As always, your mileage may vary.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm pretty math phobic, by the way. I still did well.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:I took Stats at a CC prior to doing Research Methods at Study.com. Even though I did well, it was long enough back that but I didn't really retain much and it wasnt particularly helpful or necessary for Research Methods. The class isn't math focused at all really. I don't recall any calculations on the exam, and if there were any, they were quick and easy ones. If anything, research methods would be a way to get your feet wet for a future stats course, if you plan to go that route.

jsd Wrote:I'm pretty math phobic, by the way. I still did well.

Okay good to hear. Thank you! Very much appreciate your words of wisdom, especially since you've taken Research Methods so recently.

And I totally get that your advice & experience (like just about any opinion/option/subject/CBE) is YMMV Wink

Thank you again!
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I will say though that if you think a course is going to be needed for grad school, it is always good to get it on your transcript if you can. Even if it's not graded, having it there is a plus. If you then need some graded prerequisites (not sure if you will or not), then you can decide which courses would be easiest for you to take for the grade, rather than being stuck having to do particular ones.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I will say though that if you think a course is going to be needed for grad school, it is always good to get it on your transcript if you can. Even if it's not graded, having it there is a plus. If you then need some graded prerequisites (not sure if you will or not), then you can decide which courses would be easiest for you to take for the grade, rather than being stuck having to do particular ones.

Thanks!!! I think I'll shoot for that stats credit if I can, then.

As of now I don't think I'll be going to grad school in the next 10 years... but I also never thought I'd be able to finish my BA until I found the forum, and more specifically, alternative credit/CBE.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

jsd Wrote:I took Stats at a CC prior to doing Research Methods at Study.com. Even though I did well, it was long enough back that but I didn't really retain much and it wasnt particularly helpful or necessary for Research Methods. The class isn't math focused at all really. I don't recall any calculations on the exam, and if there were any, they were quick and easy ones. If anything, research methods would be a way to get your feet wet for a future stats course, if you plan to go that route.

Did Study.com's Research Methods course transfer into TESU as UL credit by chance?? Smile
katiejo85 Wrote:Did Study.com's Research Methods course transfer into TESU as UL credit by chance?? Smile

Yes, actually.

Transfers in as PSY-322, Research in Experimental Psychology

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

katiejo85 Wrote:Did Study.com's Research Methods course transfer into TESU as UL credit by chance?? Smile

According the their website, that course transfers in as PSY-322, which would be UL.
https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab
jsd Wrote:Yes, actually.

Transfers in as PSY-322, Research in Experimental Psychology

Beat me to it, lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 255 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 212 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 697 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 333 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,088 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 23 91,110 05-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  No study.com any more, and take crash course on coppersmith? qiaoyiren 10 2,280 04-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Crash Course's Study Hall quigongene 4 924 01-25-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Paths for a degreeless but established SWE to pivot into AI research dan087 12 1,359 01-09-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: omicreativedev