Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com -> TESU Information Literacy Credit
Hey guys, I've been taking study.com for a couple months now and I'm a bit confused how I'm supposed to take a course related to information literacy, which is required for what I'm going for ( an associate in arts ). This is the credit outline I've been following: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/aa/index

In order to figure out what specific courses I would need to take, I used this page, which listed the general education courses for 2016 and after. Once I knew what course I would need, I would find the study.com alternative and take it. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

However, when double checking the courses I would need to take recently, I discovered that the courses required for credit in "Information literacy" may not be available at study.com

For example: Study.com has Criminal Justice 104: Introduction to Criminology, which transfers to TESU's AOJ-103 : Criminology. However, the information literacy list in the second link I posted is "SOC-291: Criminology".

Another example, Study.com has History 309: War & American Society, which transfers to TESU's HIS-106 : War and American Society. Yet once again, using the already mentioned list, I would need HIS-356: War and American Society.

I'm not worried about is finding a course from study.com that would be eligible for  information literacy credit. I went down the entire list of study.com-TESU transferable courses, and none of them are apparently eligible. More than a couple have a similar name and description, but instead of "HIS-106: War and American Society", I'm supposed to have "HIS-356: War and American Society".

Will the courses with extremely similar names be acceptable? Or am I going to have to take a course from TESU directly to get a full associates? Information literacy credit is the only thing I don't have a course lined up for.

Thanks guys!
(10-18-2018, 02:24 PM)MHenderson01 Wrote: Hey guys, I've been taking study.com for a couple months now and I'm a bit confused how I'm supposed to take a course related to information literacy, which is required for what I'm going for ( an associate in arts ). This is the credit outline I've been following: https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/aa/index

In order to figure out what specific courses I would need to take, I used this page, which listed the general education courses for 2016 and after. Once I knew what course I would need, I would find the study.com alternative and take it. https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

However, when double checking the courses I would need to take recently, I discovered that the courses required for credit in "Information literacy" may not be available at study.com

For example: Study.com has Criminal Justice 104: Introduction to Criminology, which transfers to TESU's AOJ-103 : Criminology. However, the information literacy list in the second link I posted is "SOC-291: Criminology".

Another example, Study.com has History 309: War & American Society, which transfers to TESU's HIS-106 : War and American Society. Yet once again, using the already mentioned list, I would need HIS-356: War and American Society.

I'm not worried about is finding a course from study.com that would be eligible for  information literacy credit. I went down the entire list of study.com-TESU transferable courses, and none of them are apparently eligible. More than a couple have a similar name and description, but instead of "HIS-106: War and American Society", I'm supposed to have "HIS-356: War and American Society".

Will the courses with extremely similar names be acceptable? Or am I going to have to take a course from TESU directly to get a full associates? Information literacy credit is the only thing I don't have a course lined up for.

Thanks guys!

The SDC courses that I'm aware of that SHOULD transfer to TESU as Info Lit are:
  • Criminal Justice 104: Introduction to Criminology (AOJ-103)
  • English 103: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (LIT-291)
  • Library Science 101: Information Literacy (LIS-101)
  • Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology (PSY-238)
  • Religion 101: Intro to World Religions (REL-277)
I know for sure that the Library Science and Religion courses can be used to fulfill that GenEd requirement, but others are supposed to as well. The CLEP versions of Analyzing & Interpreting Literature and Intro Religion will also work. Personally, I took the Study.com Library Science course so I could apply my A&I Lit CLEP to the Humanities area in my GenEd's.

The big thing about Information Literacy is that it is supposed to have a research methodology approach, but not all the courses actually do that. If you end up waiting until after July 2019, the new TESU required cornerstone replacement is also an information literacy course, so if you don't take the current cornerstone before then, you'll end up needing to take that course anyway, which will fulfill this requirement.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The TESU Gen-Ed list you posted only lists courses that TESU offers themselves. While anything that's equivalent would presumably work, those aren't the only things that will work (as Merlin laid out).

Personally, I took the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP for this requirement. I basically took it cold (I did the Modern States course to get the voucher, but none of that information proved useful on the test) and got a 71, so it's a really easy option and gives you three "bonus" credits that can be used elsewhere (since it's a 6-credit test at TESU).
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(10-18-2018, 02:48 PM)Merlin Wrote: The SDC courses that I'm aware of that SHOULD transfer to TESU as Info Lit are:
  • Criminal Justice 104: Introduction to Criminology (AOJ-103)
  • English 103: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (LIT-291)
  • Library Science 101: Information Literacy (LIS-101)
  • Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology (PSY-238)
  • Religion 101: Intro to World Religions (REL-277)
I know for sure that the Library Science and Religion courses can be used to fulfill that GenEd requirement, but others are supposed to as well. The CLEP versions of Analyzing & Interpreting Literature and Intro Religion will also work. Personally, I took the Study.com Library Science course so I could apply my A&I Lit CLEP to the Humanities area in my GenEd's.

The big thing about Information Literacy is that it is supposed to have a research methodology approach, but not all the courses actually do that. If you end up waiting until after July 2019, the new TESU required cornerstone replacement is also an information literacy course, so if you don't take the current cornerstone before then, you'll end up needing to take that course anyway, which will fulfill this requirement.

(10-18-2018, 02:57 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: The TESU Gen-Ed list you posted only lists courses that TESU offers themselves. While anything that's equivalent would presumably work, those aren't the only things that will work (as Merlin laid out).

Personally, I took the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP for this requirement. I basically took it cold (I did the Modern States course to get the voucher, but none of that information proved useful on the test) and got a 71, so it's a really easy option and gives you three "bonus" credits that can be used elsewhere (since it's a 6-credit test at TESU).

Thanks guys. I actually took information literacy, which transfers as library science at TESU, earlier in August. I thought because it was the exact same name it would transfer, but when I didn't see it on the list, I got confused. Great to know it will still apply.

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,266 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,581 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,015 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 352 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 723 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 357 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,011 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,893 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 1,033 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 578 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle