Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com questions
(10-10-2018, 11:01 PM)Beardedlady72 Wrote: Ughhh...I need to vent about this! (Can't find the rules for post etiquette, so I'm hoping this is appropriate. Don't worry, I won't swear.)

I wrote and submitted a paper for the assignment due in my Communications 301 class. I have NEVER, in the history of all of my schooling, received anything less than an A- on a paper of any kind. I mention that NOT to brag, but to indicate my dedication to following instructions precisely and anal-retentively on these things. I am not a natural test taker, but I can usually write papers without much headache. I got it back within an hour of submission. I got a 59/100.

Let me just express how unnecessarily confusing the instructions and parameters were for this paper. In fact, everything about it was nightmarish. I purposely "cut the cord" with two questions for time purposes, so I knew I wouldn't receive full credit on those. I am good and irritated about the rest of the questions, though. There was nothing in the instructions about not inserting my own experiences or opinions. Without this, the paper would've been 100% citation! Well, I guess this is what I should have done since there were problems with anything I wrote that didn't contain a name or page number. Also, I lost points for not using headings in the paper. I guess I forgot to ask my Magic 8 Ball about this since it wasn't contained in the directions either.

I do not have time to revise this paper and will have to live with the score. Pretty sure I can get as low as 51 on the final exam and still receive my college credit. I will chose to use this as a learning experience for my next (and final) two papers due for Study.com.

Thanks for reading this novel. These things seem to type themselves after my "Marathon of Papers" this week.   Undecided

My experience is similar. But you can revise and resubmit the paper up to 3 times I believe if you wish to improve the grade. As long as you get 70% or better overall it isn't necessary though.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
They seem more generous on SL, this scares me....
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(10-11-2018, 10:05 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: They seem more generous on SL, this scares me....

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. People on this forum have stated that it totally depends on the strictness of the grader for these papers, and honestly, I knew when I was doing the paper that it would be a hot mess since the instructions were so ridiculous. Maybe just avoid this class altogether, if you can help it?

I'm counting on this being an abnormal experience since I have two more papers to write for a Lit class. These are much more straightforward, though and I'm not too concerned about them. I'll be sure to post my experiences for those, too just to keep things balanced.

(10-11-2018, 12:53 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:01 PM)Beardedlady72 Wrote: Ughhh...I need to vent about this! (Can't find the rules for post etiquette, so I'm hoping this is appropriate. Don't worry, I won't swear.)

I wrote and submitted a paper for the assignment due in my Communications 301 class. I have NEVER, in the history of all of my schooling, received anything less than an A- on a paper of any kind. I mention that NOT to brag, but to indicate my dedication to following instructions precisely and anal-retentively on these things. I am not a natural test taker, but I can usually write papers without much headache. I got it back within an hour of submission. I got a 59/100.

Let me just express how unnecessarily confusing the instructions and parameters were for this paper. In fact, everything about it was nightmarish. I purposely "cut the cord" with two questions for time purposes, so I knew I wouldn't receive full credit on those. I am good and irritated about the rest of the questions, though. There was nothing in the instructions about not inserting my own experiences or opinions. Without this, the paper would've been 100% citation! Well, I guess this is what I should have done since there were problems with anything I wrote that didn't contain a name or page number. Also, I lost points for not using headings in the paper. I guess I forgot to ask my Magic 8 Ball about this since it wasn't contained in the directions either.

I do not have time to revise this paper and will have to live with the score. Pretty sure I can get as low as 51 on the final exam and still receive my college credit. I will chose to use this as a learning experience for my next (and final) two papers due for Study.com.

Thanks for reading this novel. These things seem to type themselves after my "Marathon of Papers" this week.   Undecided

My experience is similar. But you can revise and resubmit the paper up to 3 times I believe if you wish to improve the grade. As long as you get 70% or better overall it isn't necessary though.

For which class(es) did you have this experience? Just curious.
I have to take all of my UL classes at SDC, all of them appear to have papers unfortunately.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(10-11-2018, 10:55 AM)Beardedlady72 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 12:53 AM)Merlin Wrote: My experience is similar. But you can revise and resubmit the paper up to 3 times I believe if you wish to improve the grade. As long as you get 70% or better overall it isn't necessary though.

College Composition II and Business Communications both had comments about things being marked down that didn't really make sense (including the bit about including headings when they were never suggested in the materials). However, Business Communications was the one that annoyed me the most since it specified that the paper be formatted in APA format and then I got dinged for using APA format for a business paper by the grader. I was also dinged for using personal experience even though one of the papers was in a subject area I had a great deal of personal experience.

In both courses, the dings were minor... like 1-2 points per rubric area. I was annoyed mostly because the dings were not about mechanics but about formatting and content where the course material didn't provide enough support or clarification to explain how not to get dinged, or that the grader was just being particularly strict against their own baseline which didn't match against what was indicated in the course materials. I still ended up scoring in the mid 90's overall in both courses so I didn't bother to fix any of the papers but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I've got two papers in coming up for my Systems Analysis course so we'll see how those go.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(10-11-2018, 11:09 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: I have to take all of my UL classes at SDC, all of them appear to have papers unfortunately.

Good luck, I'll say a prayer for you.

(10-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 10:55 AM)Beardedlady72 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 12:53 AM)Merlin Wrote: My experience is similar. But you can revise and resubmit the paper up to 3 times I believe if you wish to improve the grade. As long as you get 70% or better overall it isn't necessary though.

College Composition II and Business Communications both had comments about things being marked down that didn't really make sense (including the bit about including headings when they were never suggested in the materials). However, Business Communications was the one that annoyed me the most since it specified that the paper be formatted in APA format and then I got dinged for using APA format for a business paper by the grader. I was also dinged for using personal experience even though one of the papers was in a subject area I had a great deal of personal experience.

In both courses, the dings were minor... like 1-2 points per rubric area. I was annoyed mostly because the dings were not about mechanics but about formatting and content where the course material didn't provide enough support or clarification to explain how not to get dinged, or that the grader was just being particularly strict against their own baseline which didn't match against what was indicated in the course materials. I still ended up scoring in the mid 90's overall in both courses so I didn't bother to fix any of the papers but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I've got two papers in coming up for my Systems Analysis course so we'll see how those go.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see if they are fair with my two Short Stories Lit papers. Those instructions are WAY more straightforward.
(10-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Merlin Wrote: (including the bit about including headings when they were never suggested in the materials)

I don't have an active membership anymore so I can't see the full grading rubric with the syllabus, but doesn't the rubric indicate APA format? APA format certainly calls for headers.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-15-2018, 05:16 PM)jsd Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 04:14 PM)Merlin Wrote: (including the bit about including headings when they were never suggested in the materials)

I don't have an active membership anymore so I can't see the full grading rubric with the syllabus, but doesn't the rubric indicate APA format? APA format certainly calls for headers.

The College Composition II course (MLA format) is the one where I got dinged on headers. AFAIK headers are optional in either format, but are encouraged in APA.

Either way, it would have been fine if the comments were just a FYI (like "this could be improved or made more clear by using headers" -- there were some suggestions like that included elsewhere) but points were deducted like they were expected by the rubric. It was only a point or two overall so I didn't really care that much, but it was still a bit annoying.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(10-15-2018, 05:53 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 05:16 PM)jsd Wrote:

The College Composition II course (MLA format) is the one where I got dinged on headers. AFAIK headers are optional in either format, but are encouraged in APA.

Either way, it would have been fine if the comments were just a FYI (like "this could be improved or made more clear by using headers" -- there were some suggestions like that included elsewhere) but points were deducted like they were expected by the rubric. It was only a point or two overall so I didn't really care that much, but it was still a bit annoying.

I agree. I don't have the essay instructions anymore for my class, but I seem to recall it only specifying to do the citations in APA format, and not the essay itself. My grader said "headings would have been helpful" or something to that effect, and did take a couple of points. If they were mandatory, I'd think he/she would (and should) have been more specific about why I lost the points, and it absolutely shouldn't have been assumed and should have been explicitly stated in the rubric. The Comm. class I took was a new one, so I think they are prob still in the "kinks" phase, at least I hope so. The class was ok, but the essay was a disaster.

I wrote those other two essays for the LIT class that I mentioned having to do earlier. Spent less time on those and got 45/50 on both. SAME GRADER for all three essays.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,324 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,481 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,686 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 602 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 968 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,811 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 682 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM