Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com vs Sophia
So, I haven't logged back into my TESU account in a year. They told me I'd have to pay another enrollment fee to unlock my account. As of a few years ago, I needed 15 UL, American Gov, Intro to World Religions, capstone to graduate. Things may have changed, so I might be wrong. Read about a capstone and cornerstone requirement?

What are the differences between Study.com vs Sophia? I basically could take the rest of my classes on Study.com. How does TESU receive credit via Study.com? Is Study ACE credit or CLEP? Do you find Study.com to be easier than CLEP? From past experiences Straighterline was a horror, with info being all over the place and unclear testing. CLEP sucked too.

Thank you for the info.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
Which catalog applies to you?
Sophia is $79 a month and you can take as many classes as you want. They don't have American Government but SDC does. They limit you to 5 exams a month at a price of $200 plus $70 per exam after 2 every month. They also have UL courses where Sophia doesn't. Sophia has a religion class that will transfer to TESU. What degree are you going for and what have you completed? Folks here can help you a lot if you share this info.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • collegechick
Another choice for American Government is InstantCert - $20 + proctoring fees. There are reviews about this course in the InstaCert section of this website.

(09-21-2020, 04:45 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Which catalog applies to you?

If an enrollment fee is required to unlock/log in, it's going to be 2020.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • collegechick, crotique
Sophia is very cheap right now. It's nice not to have to proctor tests too. Study.com has an app, which helps alot, it fills in duplicate material in all courses so you don't have to waste time covering the same ground, and it offers a much larger course list.

To me, if you think you're going to be doing more than a few courses, the duplicate material thing is a good enough reason to take Study.com all by itself. I start courses on there all the time that are already 40% complete because of other courses I've done with them.

If all you need is 15 credits, then Sophia probably will cover you on that. You'll have to take the capstone and cornerstone from TESU either way.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • collegechick
I'd love to buy a year-long sophia code if anybody still has one for sale.
If the only courses you need now are the 15 UL, American Gov, Intro to World Religions and the TESU require (Cornerstone/Capstone) it will be easier to do them all through Study.com (SDC). The reason being is UL generally equals need of SDC (they offer the most - Sophia offers no UL for TESU). 15 UL is only 5 courses (this is the MAX exams you can take in one month of SDC, so you could be done with all your transfer credits in as little as two months - but you don't have to rush, the standard is 2 exams per month at SDC, it is what is included in the fee - more than two are $70 each up to the five max).

So how does SDC work? Well the good news, if you hated the CLEP one an done - you'll be very happy with SDC. It is very much not that. Dating myself aside - it is rather the "schoolhouse rock" of alternative credits. https://study.com/academy/how-it-works.html
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • collegechick

Thank you for your comment.  I'm not sure.  Someone mentioned that if I needed to log in and see everything, it was 2020?

(09-21-2020, 04:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia is $79 a month and you can take as many classes as you want. They don't have American Government but SDC does. They limit you to 5 exams a month at a price of $200 plus $70 per exam after 2 every month. They also have UL courses where Sophia doesn't. Sophia has a religion class that will transfer to TESU. What degree are you going for and what have you completed? Folks here can help you a lot if you share this info.

Thank you for your comment.  What is SDC?  I'm closest to a BA in Liberal Arts.  With Sophia and Study what kind of credit is awarded?  Will it go to my ACE transcripts?

(09-21-2020, 06:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Another choice for American Government is InstantCert - $20 + proctoring fees. There are reviews about this course in the InstaCert section of this website.

If an enrollment fee is required to unlock/log in, it's going to be 2020.

Thank you for your comment.  Just looking for the EASIEST to pass.  Cut and dry what exactly will be on the exam.  Bad experiences with CLEP.

(09-21-2020, 08:30 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Sophia is very cheap right now. It's nice not to have to proctor tests too. Study.com has an app, which helps alot, it fills in duplicate material in all courses so you don't have to waste time covering the same ground, and it offers a much larger course list.

To me, if you think you're going to be doing more than a few courses, the duplicate material thing is a good enough reason to take Study.com all by itself. I start courses on there all the time that are already 40% complete because of other courses I've done with them.

If all you need is 15 credits, then Sophia probably will cover you on that. You'll have to take the capstone and cornerstone from TESU either way.

Thank you for your comment.  So overwhelmed between Sophia/Study/InstaCert...don't know which one would be the easiest with cut and dry answers.

(09-22-2020, 12:24 PM)allvia Wrote: If the only courses you need now are the 15 UL, American Gov, Intro to World Religions and the TESU require (Cornerstone/Capstone) it will be easier to do them all through Study.com (SDC). The reason being is UL generally equals need of SDC (they offer the most - Sophia offers no UL for TESU). 15 UL is only 5 courses (this is the MAX exams you can take in one month of SDC, so you could be done with all your transfer credits in as little as two months - but you don't have to rush, the standard is 2 exams per month at SDC, it is what is included in the fee - more than two are $70 each up to the five max).

So how does SDC work? Well the good news, if you hated the CLEP one an done - you'll be very happy with SDC. It is very much not that. Dating myself aside - it is rather the "schoolhouse rock" of alternative credits. https://study.com/academy/how-it-works.html

Thank you for the comment.  From what I remember and my notes, I believe that was the rest of my studies.  I was checking out Study.com and see the classes TESU accepts.  This is nice.  What is SDC?  Yes, CLEP's Analyzing and Interpreting Literature was awful and I failed it by 2 points.  Started taking Modern States American Government to CLEP out of that and gave up after some personal issues.  Looking for easy peasy.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
SDC = Study Dot Com
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • collegechick
Hi collegechick, long time no chat. You should invest in a second monitor, for myself, I have a laptop and a second monitor for multi-tasking, it's so much easier/faster to get info when doing homework and studying. With Sophia.org/Study.com or the majority of the courses I take, I have the e-textbook on my monitor and the quizzes/assignments on my laptop as the main screen... It helps so much when I need to dig through multiple documents/websites for sources, etc.

Since you're going for an easy/fast degree, but not the cheapest would be the TESU BALS with a Social Science concentration, or no concentration if you didn't need anything specific. The cheapest would be the BSLS at COSC, but they require 30 UL vs the 18 UL in the TESU BALS. Anyways, you should take the TEEX Death Investigation course as it's an open book, non proctored upper level course, for 3 quick UL credits.

To help you further and find out what's missing, you might want to copy/paste your TESU academic evaluation so we know what's missing, if you need free electives, you can take the free TEEX courses, they're also non-proctored for LL. You should take the remainder of the upper level requirements through Coopersmith, Davar, or Study.com - there are many courses you can select from, in different Liberal Arts subjects.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 363 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 783 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,500 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,326 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 338 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 657 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 941 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 217 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 891 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 363 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle