Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stumped on Math Problem
Can someone explain this math problem to me?

[Image: clepmath.JPG]

The Official CLEP Study Guide says the answer is A. I thought the answer was C, though. I can't figure out why the answer is A. Can someone explain this to me or point me to a web site that explains this? I'm not a math guy, but this one seemed easy to me.
sirjake Wrote:Can someone explain this math problem to me?

[Image: clepmath.JPG]

The Official CLEP Study Guide says the answer is A. I thought the answer was C, though. I can't figure out why the answer is A. Can someone explain this to me or point me to a web site that explains this? I'm not a math guy, but this one seemed easy to me.

Hi Sirjake,

I am right in the middle of studying for DANTES Statistics. I am by no means mathematically minded. However, I believe I can answer this one.

Answers B and C can be ruled out instantly. Because they are symmetrical, the mean and median will ALWAYS be equal.

Answer D can be ruled out because it is skewed left. The mean is always pulled in the direction of the skew (left = lower). Therefore, in answer D, the mean will be LESS than the median.

The correct answer is A. This graph is skewed right, and so the mean will be pulled in the direction of the skew (right = higher). In this graph, the mean will be greater than the median.

--
Also, here is a web site I found with a cool little gadget that allows you to experiment with different shapes. Just click a blue block to remove it from the graph, or click the white space to add an extra block.

http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/applets/...index.html

I hope this has helped you SirJake.

Good luck with your exam,
Snazzlefrag
This site has a lot of free math videos. They are excellent, especially if you need refreshing. You may find helpful info that will answer your questions. The "Against all Odds" series covered everything for the Dantes statistics test also.
http://www.learner.org/resources/series158.html
I finally understand this! Bwaha! I never did understand it for that test, but hoped I would be able to wing it on the College Math test and get by (and did with a 61). Now I'm studying for the Principles of Statistics DSST and went back to see if I could wrap my brain around this after getting through the first group of questions...

I've learned something! Woohoo! Big Grin
I'm an engineer. Go figure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 719 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 401 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Generative AI is a big problem in college campuses LevelUP 12 1,238 01-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,350 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,043 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,183 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,248 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 987 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,118 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,566 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow