Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Confused about the Residency Waiver
I have searched and read a ton of threads.  I have read the catalog.  

On the forum, I keep seeing that you have one year to graduate after paying the fee.  The catalog says 15 months.

I can't find anything say when I have to pay it.  Is there a set time you have to pay that fee?  At enrollment?  

If I apply in November to start in January, I need at least 18 mos to do the coursework to graduate.  And I cannot afford the fee right now.  That would take all the money I am planning to use for the courses at Sophia and SDC.  So any clarification on the timetable of things would help me a lot.  

Thanks!

Correction... website says 15 months.

"If a student pays either residency waiver fee or does not graduate within 15 months, they will be required to pay additional credit hour residency waiver fees."
You do not pay the fee until you are ready to graduate. If you choose to pay the fee early, your clock starts ticking.

You might also want to opt to take some easy courses with your capstone & cornerstone to be able to hit the 16 credit requirement and avoid the residency fee entirely.

6 credits x $519 (out of state tuition) = 3114 + 3125 residency waiver = $6239

16 credits in 1 term (capstone, cornerstone, Jane Austin 1-credit course, 3 easy courses) = $4639 flat-rate tuition.

It's literally cheaper to take some remedial 100-level courses you don't necessarily NEED rather than paying the waiver.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Dorothy44, elledee2020, GizmoJack
(11-19-2020, 03:24 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You do not pay the fee until you are ready to graduate. If you choose to pay the fee early, your clock starts ticking.

You might also want to opt to take some easy courses with your capstone & cornerstone to be able to hit the 16 credit requirement and avoid the residency fee entirely.

6 credits x $519 (out of state tuition) = 3114 + 3125 residency waiver = $6239

15 credits in 1 term (capstone, cornerstone, Jane Austin 1-credit course, 3 easy courses) = $4639 flat-rate tuition.

It's literally cheaper to take some remedial 100-level courses you don't necessarily NEED rather than paying the waiver.

Do you happen to have a list of some of the easier/remedial courses that are 100's that would word?  Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dorothy44's post:
  • elledee2020
(11-19-2020, 04:32 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Do you happen to have a list of some of the easier/remedial courses that are 100's that would word?  Thank you.

You need to do 16 credits in one term. Typo in my original post! That said, it's going to depend on what your strengths/weaknesses are. You definitely need:

Capstone - 3 credits
Cornerstone - 3 credits
ENG-298 Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice - 1 credit

Possible 100-level courses are:
GEO-151 Physical Geology - Geology has a reputation for being an "easy" science in college
ART-100 A World of Art doesn't duplicate with Sophia.
MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics could work if you're at least comfortable with basic math concepts (this is lower than algebra)
PHO-101 Introduction to Photography might be good if you have access to an SLR camera (digital not allowed).
SOS-150 Self-Assessment and Career Exploration looks pretty useful, especially for younger students.
EAS-131 Introduction to Meteorology - I used to think weather phenomena were fascinating. This looks to be not too difficult.
EAS-101 General Earth Science is not quite geology but it is geology, so it should be (relatively) straightforward.

Some potential 200-level courses include:
EAS-201 The Science of Disasters - This looks pretty fascinating to me and seems to be a combined geology/meterology/polisci course.
HIS-235 American Civil War
HIS-210 American Civil Rights Movement
HIS-261 Introduction to Chinese History and Culture - could be a good way for history majors to fill the non-Western history slot without having to pay extra for BYU?
LIT-202 Literary Roots of Western Culture
LIT-221 Introduction to Children's Literature
REL-275 An Introduction to Islam - this one may not be as easy if you're not familiar with Islam

Some of the above have final exams, some require papers. Check the syllabus to find out which one requires what.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
16cr in a single 12-week term will be a lot for most people. Especially since the capstone is a LOT of work. I'm not certain I'd suggest this as the best path for people who haven't even proven to themselves that they can handle this amount of work.

I'd probably test myself to finish 16cr of UL courses at Study.com in 3 months, and then see what you think. And know that whatever you just did, TESU will probably be 3x the work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas
The time vs the cash is what I am trying to consider with that fee.  I could do 9 credits for two terms and hit the goal, and I have enough aid to cover it.  BUT...I don't know if I have the TIME to devote to three classes at once with rigid deadlines, etc.  That scares me.  My current circumstances probably wouldn't allow me to do it and do it well.
U can prepare for courses in advance. Check syllabus, order or rent textbook where is applicable. At least it will help u during the term a lot if u r determined to take 16 credits
(11-19-2020, 05:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need to do 16 credits in one term.

Hang on a second. I think there may be some potential for confusion here.

Full-time flat-rate tuition requires that you complete 9 or more credits per term while participating in that program. However, this has nothing to do with meeting the residency requirement.

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition Wrote:- Students registering for 9 or more credits per term will receive the discounted Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition.
- Students do not have to preselect this plan, but will be automatically enrolled once the 9-credit per term threshold has been reached.
- Students registering for fewer than 9 credits per term will continue to be enrolled under Per Credit Tuition.

You earn residency by earning at least 16 semester hours from TESU courses (OL/GS/EP, but not TECEP). However, those don't have to be completed in the same term...

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees Wrote:The Credit Hour Residency Waiver Fee applies to students who have not earned at least 16 Semester Hours from the University’s Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses towards their associate or bachelor’s degree

So you can spread the 16 credit requirements across two terms and still pay the flat-rate and avoid paying a residency fee as long as you can take 9 credits (3 courses) per term for 18 credits total. That is far more reasonable than trying to finish 16 credits in a single term, especially for people who work or have families.

Yeah, it is cheaper to do it all in a single term since you pay the same amount regardless of how many courses you take, but you aren't forced to do so. There is not much cost savings doing it in two terms though. (Like $64 total.)

Honestly, it is far less trouble to just finish the cornerstone and capstone at TESU and do the rest elsewhere. Yes, it costs a bit more, but it's way faster and less stressful than trying to do it all in a single term unless you're a full-time student.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-19-2020, 07:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Full-time flat-rate tuition requires that you complete 9 or more credits per term while participating in that program. However, this has nothing to do with meeting the residency requirement.

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/flat-rate-tuition Wrote:- Students registering for 9 or more credits per term will receive the discounted Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition.
- Students do not have to preselect this plan, but will be automatically enrolled once the 9-credit per term threshold has been reached.
- Students registering for fewer than 9 credits per term will continue to be enrolled under Per Credit Tuition.

You earn residency by earning at least 16 semester hours from TESU courses (OL/GS/EP, but not TECEP). However, those don't have to be completed in the same term...

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/fees Wrote:The Credit Hour Residency Waiver Fee applies to students who have not earned at least 16 Semester Hours from the University’s Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses towards their associate or bachelor’s degree

So you can spread the 16 credit requirements across two terms and still pay the flat-rate and avoid paying a residency fee as long as you can take 9 credits (3 courses) per term for 18 credits total. That is far more reasonable than trying to finish 16 credits in a single term, especially for people who work or have families.

Yeah, it is cheaper to do it all in a single term since you pay the same amount regardless of how many courses you take, but you aren't forced to do so. There is not much cost savings doing it in two terms though. (Like $64 total.)

Honestly, it is far less trouble to just finish the cornerstone and capstone at TESU and do the rest elsewhere. Yes, it costs a bit more, but it's way faster and less stressful than trying to do it all in a single term unless you're a full-time student.
It is an investment/risk ratio in that the waiver is risk free, while the courses are not, if one cannot pass the course, it doesn't count towards residency.
(11-19-2020, 07:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:

So if you do 9cr per term for the first term, it's $4639.  Then you'd do 7cr in the 2nd term, which would be $3633.  That's a total of $8272, totally negating the point of this.  If you just took the cornerstone and capstone and paid the residency waiver, then you'd pay $6306.

You only save money by doing 16cr in a single term.  If you can't, then don't bother.  You'll pay almost $2000 more, and spend more time as well (2x12week terms = 24 weeks).  Not a good plan at all, unless you get the Pell grant.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,246 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,445 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,643 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,210 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 667 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU residency waiver dbrown2258 22 1,871 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,162 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 736 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Paying Residency Waiver awildefish 17 1,535 05-06-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency requirement for 2nd TESU degree TopHatWombat 7 751 05-04-2023, 04:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP