Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching Master's Programs
I'm currently in University of Florida's MS in Microbiology and Cell Science with a concentration in Medical Microbiology and Biochemistry program. I really wanted to do a more general biology program so that I could study a mix of gross anatomy and physiology, wildlife biology, microbiology, and maybe some environmental stuff. In this program, I'm only learning about infectious diseases. Basically, I'm studying bacteria, viruses, fungus, and protozoans the entire program. This is fine. I can go into public health, food safety, or forensic science with this degree, but I'm not getting a broad biology education. 

I just noticed that University of Florida has a new online MS in Medical Science with a concentration in Forensic Medicine. This probably has more limited application on the job market, but the material is more interesting to me. While is it's not a broad biology program, it's broader in its study of pathology and medicine. It's not like UF's other forensic science programs that mostly focus on various techniques in criminalistics such as blood splatter analysis (which is borderline pseudoscience), ballistics (also not very scientific), and fingerprint analysis (has its own issues). This program is focused on pathology and death investigations. The curriculum is applicable to autopsy assistants, medical examiner investigators, pathology assistants, detectives doing death investigations, CPS/APS investigators working with deaths and physical injuries, forensic anthropologists, forensic nurses, and crime scene investigators and forensic scientists to a certain extent.

https://forensicmedicine.med.ufl.edu/program/courses/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My gut would be to follow the old adage that the degree that interests you is the one you'll finish. That's always been true in my case. YMMV

What field are you looking to get into?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(06-29-2018, 02:20 PM)Tedium Wrote: My gut would be to follow the old adage that the degree that interests you is the one you'll finish. That's always been true in my case. YMMV

What field are you looking to get into?

Public health or forensic science. I don't really need a public health degree because I'm already starting an environmental health program for USPHS. But, since USPHS is so competitive, I need a backup plan. Regardless, a microbiology or medical science program should work fine for public health. The only problem is that microbiology really only prepares someone to study infectious diseases. Public health covers other issues such as diabetes, heart disease, mental health, and health issues caused by environmental factors that don't fall into the pathogen category (smoking, drug use, pollution, etc.). The environmental health and safety program pretty much just covers environmental and safety issues, but a regular science master's won't work for USPHS, and that was the most convenient option.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Sounds like it boils down to whichever is cheaper if both will get you where you need to go.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
University of South Florida in Tampa has a good Masters in Medical Science program and I think its 1/2 the cost of UF.
(06-29-2018, 04:46 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: University of South Florida in Tampa has a good Masters in Medical Science program and I think its 1/2 the cost of UF.

It's hard to find their tuition rates for online students. One program charges non-residents just under $500 per credit hour. Another program charges almost $900 per credit hour. The M.S. in Medical Science program at UF is $575 per credit hour. Since I'm already a UF student, it's easy to transfer. They told me to just have my current advisor send over my application packet.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I think the Forensic Med program sounds way more interesting - both to me, but more importantly to you! I say make the switch.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
How far into the current program are you and will any of it transfer?
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
https://online.uj.ac.za/Programmes/Maste...lic-Health
I thought you lived in TX. How are you doing classes like that without any field lab time?
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 7 213 2 hours ago
Last Post: Vle045
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,727 535,324 Yesterday, 12:16 PM
Last Post: lamlai
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,085 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 442 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,456 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 187 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 596 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 583 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,649 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,809 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher