Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology
Question 
I think I might have registered for my TECEP exam too early (CMP-354 Network Technology). I didn't think that it would be that hard, but I've been studying for months and I still don't feel ready.

I've primarily used Study.com's TECEP Network Technology: Study Guide & Test Prep.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but the scope of the course seems far too broad. I am having a lot of trouble remembering everything. I had similar trouble remembering things for the Medical Terminology exam (I did pass with ~80% in the end), but I'm more nervous about this because the test is more expensive -- the most expensive test I've taken so far.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any tips? I read through some of the previous posts for studying, but I didn't see much. I'm also wondering if Study.com's test prep is sufficient?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • lucillegyl
(06-11-2020, 10:50 PM)udi Wrote: I think I might have registered for my TECEP exam too early (CMP-354 Network Technology). I didn't think that it would be that hard, but I've been studying for months and I still don't feel ready.

I've primarily used Study.com's TECEP Network Technology: Study Guide & Test Prep.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but the scope of the course seems far too broad. I am having a lot of trouble remembering everything. I had similar trouble remembering things for the Medical Terminology exam (I did pass with ~80% in the end), but I'm more nervous about this because the test is more expensive -- the most expensive test I've taken so far.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any tips? I read through some of the previous posts for studying, but I didn't see much. I'm also wondering if Study.com's test prep is sufficient?

I took the online course for this and used their required textbook, which appears is also recommended for the TECEP: Ciccarelli, P., et al. Networking Basics. Current edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons
You might be able to find the book cheap somewhere, or maybe rent it from Amazon. The book definitely went into detail. Have you tried looking at Quizlet to see if anyone has made any flashcards? 
[-] The following 2 users Like studyandpass5's post:
  • CarpeDiem8, udi
I just took the exam so I won't know my score for some time.

It was very telco and wireless oriented, much more so than I would have expected. A lot of obsolete technology questions, as well. Good luck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes geteit's post:
  • udi
Update: Passed the exam.

OP, let us know how it goes for you.
I took the test, but I don't know if I passed yet. It was HARD. And it was hard for the reasons I thought it would be. The scope is too broad and should be narrowed. There were many things in the test that I didn't come across through my studies. I took the prep course for the exam at Study.com and spent two months on it. I don't think it helped much and I also completed the Google IT Support Certificate. Along with all the other IT courses I've done since I started.

It's the last exam I have to take, but if I don't pass, I may end up trying to finish the linear algebra course which I'm not sure I can do without some tutoring. I cannot quite get what I need from the book and an internet search doesn't quite get you where you need to be. The course material that Coopersmith offers is skeletal at best.

So, I might look for another course or just take two courses at TESU. I'll get financial aid that way as a part-time student. I think in some cases you can get financial aid for just three credits, but I'm not sure how it works.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
(08-02-2020, 03:14 AM)udi Wrote: I took the test, but I don't know if I passed yet. It was HARD. And it was hard for the reasons I thought it would be. The scope is too broad and should be narrowed. There were many things in the test that I didn't come across through my studies. I took the prep course for the exam at Study.com and spent two months on it. I don't think it helped much and I also completed the Google IT Support Certificate. Along with all the other IT courses I've done since I started.

It's the last exam I have to take, but if I don't pass, I may end up trying to finish the linear algebra course which I'm not sure I can do without some tutoring. I cannot quite get what I need from the book and an internet search doesn't quite get you where you need to be. The course material that Coopersmith offers is skeletal at best.

So, I might look for another course or just take two courses at TESU. I'll get financial aid that way as a part-time student. I think in some cases you can get financial aid for just three credits, but I'm not sure how it works.

I recently took the cmp-354 network tech TECEP.

It was the hardest test I took by far. 
I know I failed because about 60% of the questions I had no clue.  Even if that test was open-book, it would stay be hard.

I took the Study.com TECEP prep, scored 78% on it.  Even took the Computer Science 304 did around 75% on that practice test.
Did go through the Network Basics book, learned the vocab. 

Guess I might be fked because no way to get that computer science degree with that UL course. ACE/TESU really screwed us over not making Computer Science 304: Network System Design an UL course, that would have been best path to take.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Udi, did you pass?

geteit, what did you use to study? What's your background?

I'm taking this TECEP sometime soon also and have so far largely used the Study.com courses, the provided sample quizzes, and there is also some Quizlets that appear to be all the vocabulary.
I didn't pass and I have no idea what I got. ZERO feedback. TESU is really screwy sometimes.

You don't need CMP-354. You can take the Linear Algebra course at Coopersmith, but it's hard too and I gave up really quickly. The text is hard to follow and doesn't help much. They materials they provide are skeleton at best.

I'm thinking about taking the six credits, but I'm waiting. Will try to get a job and just use the TESU transcript as a credit bank. Or I might do BS in Technical Studies with certificate in computer science. Really not sure what I'm going to do.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(09-03-2020, 11:19 PM)udi Wrote: I didn't pass and I have no idea what I got. ZERO feedback. TESU is really screwy sometimes.

You don't need CMP-354. You can take the Linear Algebra course at Coopersmith, but it's hard too and I gave up really quickly. The text is hard to follow and doesn't help much. They materials they provide are skeleton at best.

I'm thinking about taking the six credits, but I'm waiting. Will try to get a job and just use the TESU transcript as a credit bank. Or I might do BS in Technical Studies with certificate in computer science. Really not sure what I'm going to do.

Options I'm looking at:
1.  Study.com Computer Science 322: Windows Server Configuration  (if that is approved by ACE soon and TESU for UL CS course)
2.  CompTIA Cloud+ comes in TESU as CYB-450, does this work for CS?  Be a hard one to pass I would guess.
3.  TESU UL CA course or another college course.  Something that can pass easily.

(09-03-2020, 09:18 PM)Kalpa Wrote: Udi, did you pass?

geteit, what did you use to study? What's your background?

I'm taking this TECEP sometime soon also and have so far largely used the Study.com courses, the provided sample quizzes, and there is also some Quizlets that appear to be all the vocabulary.

I did the study.com course and quizlets too. 

Then on the TECEP exam, they throw out questions like, 
If you threw up a router into the air, and shot at it with a shotgun, on average how many pieces would it break up into?
A. 1250   B. 1260   C. 1270   D 1280  #JOKE

Really nit-picky things you need to know such as what is a vampire tap or ad hoc mode. #WTF

They allowed scratch paper, I actually made notes on 1/2 the questions just to see if it was possible to look them up.  I took the entire study.com course put it in one word/pdf file, a lot of these questions you can't lookup on study.com.

Now those answers I believe are for the most part are in the Intro to Networking book that they told you to use for the course.  You better know that MF book word for word front to back.  You can easily get a pdf of that book for free.  

Use only quizlet/study.com you fail 100% of the time. #FACT

Given enough time, it's possible to pass this.  Anybody want to brainstorm some ideas on how to pass this, pm me, or do some posts.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • udi
Didn't somebody here pass? I thought someone posted that they just barely got a pass, but I don't remember who or what thread it was in. I remember them saying that the test and study materials didn't align either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • udi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,482 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 516 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 332 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 271 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 464 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  CIS-1070 TECEP legenwait4itdary 6 316 02-29-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: RJ77
  TECEP for Enrollment optimisticCoder3 8 617 01-16-2024, 09:59 PM
  How often Study.com transcript to TESU? Carnation 3 476 12-09-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Study.com Digital Marketing No Longer UL After Nov 1st LevelUP 12 998 12-05-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Recent ProctorU & Network Technology TECEP (CMP-3540) Experience AllThose299s 5 841 11-01-2023, 10:27 PM