Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEEX classes
All-

I am looking to complete the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU (Associates in Natural Science and Math), as I understand it has no capstone and I need an associates in computer science. I am looking for low cost or free courses that will count for the Area of Study for the degree. Does anyone know if the TEEX classes count? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I emailed TESU advising and they gave a very non-committal answer and basically said "we don't know if the courses will apply or not, until you take them and try to transfer them". The counselor even said "sorry I can't be more helpful". Anyone here had these credits count towards anything other than free electives in any degree?

Thanks.
Wingz Wrote:All-

I am looking to complete the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU (Associates in Natural Science and Math), as I understand it has no capstone and I need an associates in computer science. I am looking for low cost or free courses that will count for the Area of Study for the degree. Does anyone know if the TEEX classes count? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I emailed TESU advising and they gave a very non-committal answer and basically said "we don't know if the courses will apply or not, until you take them and try to transfer them". The counselor even said "sorry I can't be more helpful". Anyone here had these credits count towards anything other than free electives in any degree?

Thanks.

Are you pressed for time to complete the degree? Those courses should be CIS, Business, or Free electives.
They will not fit in the Area of Study, unless it is in either CIS or Biz. Your cheapest, easiest, fastest option is to find your state comm college and see if they have programming courses to satisfy these requirements.

Furthermore, what credits have you accumulated already? Do you have any comp sci courses?
If not, you can do the following - email advising again telling them you're going to take the following and see if it counts towards the credits.

1) Saylor CS101 - TESU COS101 (intro to Java)
2) Straighterline CS101 - TESU COS213 (intro to C++)
3) Penn Foster CSC105 - TESU COS111 (Intro to Programming)
4) Javaonline.org Premium Plus - 9 credits, Java Programming (Not ACE, but NCCRS recommended)
If you go this method and they accept all the credits, you have 15 credits in the Area of Study, cheap.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't think TEEX counts as CIS any longer, but I'm not entirely certain. Let's see if someone who's a CS major can help tell us, plus any info regarding the following courses:

CLEP Info Sys OR DSST Computers (they duplicate each other)

DSST ($80 + testing center fees)
- Management Info Systems
- Cybersecurity

TECEP ($114)
- Computer Concepts
- Network Technology

SL ($99/mo + course fee)
- IT Fundamentals
- C++ Programming

TCC ($220 + enrollment fee?)
- Intro to Computing & Program Design
- Intro to HTML5 and CSS3

CSU-Global ($250)
- Basic Programming
- Cloud Computing
- Ethical Hacking
- Info Systems Analysis & Design (this will definitely work as it's a requirement for the BA-CS)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:- Info Systems Analysis & Design (this will definitely work as it's a requirement for the BA-CS)

Systems Analysis and Design can be used, but it's not a requirement for the BA in Computer Science. It's a requirement for the BSBA in CIS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:I don't think TEEX counts as CIS any longer, but I'm not entirely certain. Let's see if someone who's a CS major can help tell us, plus any info regarding the following courses:

CLEP Info Sys OR DSST Computers (they duplicate each other)

DSST ($80 + testing center fees)
- Management Info Systems
- Cybersecurity

TECEP ($114)
- Computer Concepts
- Network Technology

SL ($99/mo + course fee)
- IT Fundamentals
- C++ Programming

TCC ($220 + enrollment fee?)

CSU-Global ($250)
- Basic Programming
- Cloud Computing
- Ethical Hacking
- Info Systems Analysis & Design (this will definitely work as it's a requirement for the BA-CS)
The Network Technology TECEP (CMP354) does not fit in the CS AOS. In general a course has to come across as CIS or COS, not CMP, ELC, ELD, ELE or ELT. I'm pretty sure that IT Fundamentals and Cloud Computing won't work. I'd also be concerned about Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The last time I read anything current on the classes (COSU)

TEEX-250 CAP-295 Intro to Security Basics (2cr)
TEEX-251 CAP-385 Network Security (2cr)
TEEX-252 CIS-244 Computer Security (2cr)

CAP being their generic code for computer applications, so not in your AOS with the possible exception of the 252 class; things could have changed for the current catalog and moved that one as well.
davewill Wrote:The Network Technology TECEP (CMP354) does not fit in the CS AOS. In general a course has to come across as CIS or COS, not CMP, ELC, ELD, ELE or ELT. I'm pretty sure that IT Fundamentals and Cloud Computing won't work. I'd also be concerned about Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking.

And, only some CIS classes work. TESU makes a determination of whether or not the CIS class is applied or theoretical. If it can't be used as a natural science, then it can't be used in the CS AOS. TESU told a natural science student that cloud computing will not count. I have a course that is the equivalent if the Cybersecurity DSST. Even though it is coded as CIS (so is cloud computing), it cannot be used as a natural science or computer science course. TESU does the same thing with AOJ courses. Some count as social sciences and others don't.

The CIS AOS in the business degree is more flexible. It'll allow CIS, COS, CMP, and even some CAP courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
dfrecore Wrote:TCC ($220 + enrollment fee?)

Here's the list of courses at TESU Thomas Edison State University | Undergrad Course Offerings
You can look into the classes under undergrad classified as COS courses, for comp sci.
Others are CIS, etc and the may not count towards your goal.. Check the local CC.
If you can get courses cheaper at the CC, go for them first, if not, these are your options.

Your final option: Many youngsters know HTML, CSS, Wordpress, etc by self study and practice.
If you are familiar with them, you can skip the TCC courses above and go for PLA $379/12 credits.
Heck, I would go for it... Just that, I don't know it well enough...
Use the free Kaplan course to get you started on your PLA...

PS. You can help me create a website for fun and practice, I'll pay the going rate. Haha..
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
dfrecore Wrote:TCC ($220 + enrollment fee?)

No enrollment fee for TCC anymore. Just $65/per credit for most exams, plus $25 to ProctorU. So just $220 total, like you said.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
From my eval or personal dealing with advising, the following won't work for CS: all TEEX, cloud computing, networking TECEP

I highly suspect the following won't work because they're too applied: computer concepts, cybersecurity, IT fundamentals, ethical hacking

Be careful with CIS. Some don't count as mentioned earlier.

What works is: MIS DSST (easy prior to the 3/31 revision, use IC if you feel you need it), CSU-G System Analysis (cram an older version of the textbook for 8 hours the day before), any programming course that is RA/ACE/NCCRS approved, and anything else that matches a COS course the closest (be careful because a CAP/CMP course might match better and that is bad news)
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,684 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,667 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Where do they Fall? Classes BSBRose21 1 1,104 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,591 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Using TEEX Cybersecurity for Everyone as COSC Ethics credit? High_Order1 2 1,671 05-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: GoldieLux
  Anyone take classes at DMACC upper-level, for under $200 online frank.f.franky 5 1,981 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 2,924 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TEEX courses equivalent to in TESU oldtown77 7 3,451 12-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Zavala
  What three GE classes do I need for CIS mofutofu 9 2,256 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU - sequence of Math classes? triforce828 1 1,044 10-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore