Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing
I'm trying to figure out where I can get credit for some of the "core" COSC Cybersecurity classes. Would COSC tell me, or would they only encourage me to enroll in their classes?

I think I could take the Natural Science & Lab, and Natural Science classes at StraighterLine. I could also take Eng 102 there. These 4 classes remain from the "Gen Ed" section, I don't think I can take them at StraighterLine, or from a DSST test. Any suggestions on where I could get credit for these classes?

[.] Oral Communication (3 credits required)

[.] Ethical Decision-Making (3 credits required)

[.] Global Understanding (3 credits required)

[.] Non US History/Culture (3 credits required)
Check the link in my signature for some ideas. I'd specifically suggest the DSST Technical Writing for EC 2
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Also....https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...M-MM7eoXEQ
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I also believe either the straighterline religion course or the DSST World Religions satisfies both non US and global...should be a twofor.

A waiver for the oral requirement is often available if you can demonstrate and support any public speaking you've ever done. I have a friend that just had it waived by providing evidence that she facilitated corporate training/orientation.
AS in EMS August 2010

If you can't get the waiver, Straighterline's Intro to Communications is the best option for public speaking.

Business Ethics and Society DSST is a good choice for the ethics requirement because it will also count for upper level. It is advantageous to use upper level credits where possible at COSC with general education.

World Population UExcel is upper level and will satisfy both global understanding and non-U.S. history.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Wow, a lot of good information here. I am a little confused about the process of going to COSC. Would I try to get all the credits-by-exam done first, then join the college and take the remaining the classes - or first join the college, and tell the advisors I will skip their class and take it somewhere else that is cheaper? It seems risky to do all the exams first, without talking to an advisor at COSC, but I don't think they would help unless I was a student.

Also at COSC, can you join, but just take a few courses? I didn't see anything on their site about minimum course load. I was wondering in case I joined, and saw that I could take a class cheaper somewhere else, and go take it, then come back to COSC a month or two later.

At COSC, their literature says you work at your own pace, but isn't there a fixed academic calendar, so they can manage their teachers? I'm guessing you can't take the classes as fast as you can, and that you have to take classes when they say you can.
The General Ed stuff is pretty much standard, there isn't typically any great advantage to enrolling before you have all of those done. Most around here will get within a few courses of completion before applying. This is somewhat dependent on your goals and needs of course. For example if you intend to tap financial aid such as a PELL grant, you will need to apply and be accepted to access those funds.

COSC will generally talk to you (a little) prior to enrollment, they will evaluate your credits on application and then assign an advisor once you enroll. Not enrolling isn't really risky as the path is well worn, folks in hereknow the system and COSC publishes lists and details to help you make sure you're on the right path. Every semester you are enrolled costs money, this can add up, and that is the best argument for only enrolling once you have the bulk of the work done.

Generally speaking, especially if saving money is a priority, you will want to take as many courses as possible elsewhere and transfer them back to COSC. Every course you take at COSC will cost around $1200 (3 credit courses). The problem you are likely to encounter is the Upper Level Cybersecurity core. I've no idea where else you can get those, it will be about 9 courses https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...curity.cfm Other than these, you should be able to find the rest cheaper and quicker elsewhere (CBE, FEMA, etc...).

General Ed requirements are here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.cfm You've probably already vistied the page in my signature, those are good places to find these specific classes. in addition, COSC accepts FEMA free of charge. https://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx essentially anything listed as "college credit" in the far right column will count as indicated.

Think lossely in this manner...30 or so credits General Ed plus the 3 credit LL cornerstone, 30-36 in the Major (30 at the UL including the 3 credit Capstone which must be taken at COSC), the balance could be almost anything, credit by exam, fema, cheap classes from a CC or independent study school (like CSU-Pueblo, or U of Idaho). It's the gen eds and and other credits up to 90 that offer the most flexibility.

COSC follows a pretty standard academic calander, most, though not all, of their courses are canned. Meaning pre recorded content that you watch and complete on a regular assigned pace. Usually there is an instructor in the wings to contact for help and to administer the coursework. Classes are not self paced. They do run 5, 8, and 18 week groups of courses.

I would suggest you complete your gen eds and addition course up to about 60-90 credits then apply, complete the cornerstone and earn your AA/AS degreee...that would allow you to complete half or more of your total requirements and allow you to check the rest of your plan as an enrolled student.
AS in EMS August 2010

Most people here generally wait to enroll until they are ready to take classes at COSC in order to save the semester fee ($193 resident, $257 out-of-state). Once enrolled, this fee must be paid each semester even if you are not taking a course through COSC that semester.

After enrolled, you can continue to take courses from other sources, and they do not give you a hard time about this at all. You are only required to take two courses from COSC (cornerstone and capstone). You may end up taking more if you can't find alternatives for your required courses. As far as minimum course load, you can be enrolled and not be registered for any courses through COSC that semester(but will have to pay the semester fee as mentioned before). Courses through COSC do have a set schedule with assignments due on particular dates. They are NOT like Straighterline or Penn Foster courses where you work through them at your own pace.

I hope this answers some of your questions.
One update: The Soviet Union history DSST is upper level (confirm this - it used to be upper level and has been reworked) and will satisfy both global understanding and non-U.S. history. It is supposed to be available on April 1st.
Also, in case you haven't seen it, you should follow closely this thread where JTP documents his COSC Cyber Security degree process: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...pdate.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,999 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,489 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,692 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,079 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,332 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,979 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,682 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,012 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  COSC AA Help CGaboury 9 3,052 08-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Tedium