Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC GPA question
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum Big Grin

I see Excelsior College has made some big changes recently! Looks like I should have enrolled back in '05 when I was working for their bookstore. Anyhow, I see that they now keep your GPA from other schools as well. I was wondering if this is the case for TESC as well?

Thanks for your help,
OnMyWay Wink
I am not sure since I started from scratch. However, I know that if a school such as Excelsior has given you a grade for a CLEP or DSST you do not get to keep that grade it is simply recorded as P/F. I think if you bring non testing credits with you they keep the grade you had. You should try to talk to an advisor. Also on a rather unrelated note if you decide to get your degree from TESC you can only test out of 90 credits. Good Luck!
[SIZE="2"]BSBA Marketing Thomas Edison State College-63/120[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]College Math-66, College Algebra-64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-67, U.S. History I-66, U.S. History II-61, Information Systems & Computer Applications-59, Biology-61, DSST Introduction to Business-61, Introductory Sociology-65, Introductory Psychology-52, Principles of Microeconomics-54, Principles of Macroeconomics-47, Principles of Marketing-68, Financial Accounting-47, Introductory Business Law-62, Principles of Management-70, DSST Principles of Supervision-64, DSST Organizational Behavior-68, English Literature-61[/SIZE]
cinderly Wrote:When did this policy change? Or is this a military-option issue?

Hi Cinderly,

The 90-credit testing limit is only for those utilising the military discounts. For everyone else, there is no limit on the amount of credits you can test out of. TESC remains one of the "Big Three" schools which allow you to test out of an entire degree (all 120 credits).

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
The 90 credit limit is for military only along with the 18 must have credits from that specific college for a B.S./B.A. @ TESC and 9 for EC. An A.A./A.S. is half of that but Coastline Community College requires 20 credits. It kinda sucks but your job in the military will grant at least 30+ credits. I got nearly 72+ for my degree.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
As far as I knew, for people enrolled under the Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP), you only had to take 12 credits from TESC. I thought that was kinda their way of getting some money out of you in exchange for not charging annual tuition.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
I have talked to two advisors recently, and they both told me I could only only test out of 90 credits. The other 30 have to FEMA or classes. I am not in the military. Are you sure? If I can test out of all my credits I am going to be very happy!

[SIZE="1"]College Math-66, College Algebra-64, Analyzing & Interpreting Literature-67, U.S. History I-66, U.S. History II-61, Information Systems & Computer Applications-59, Biology-61, DSST Introduction to Business-61, Introductory Sociology-65, Introductory Psychology-52, Principles of Microeconomics-54, Principles of Macroeconomics-47, Principles of Marketing-68, Financial Accounting-47, Introductory Business Law-62, Principles of Management-70, DSST Principles of Supervision-64, DSST Organizational Behavior-68, English Literature-61[/SIZE]
When I enrolled at TESC last year, they only let me transfer over 3 credits from previous learning (very frustrating). Anyway, I had a 4.0 GPA based on that class and that is the GPA that appeared on my academic evaluation.

I am having an academic advisement on 4/8 and I'm going to ask about how many credits you can test out of. I keep hearing conflicting information and I was under the impression that you could test out of/transfer in all 120 credits for an undergrad degree. I'll let you know what I find out.
[SIZE="2"]TECEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]English Composition 102[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Psychology of Women[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Word Processing Fundamentals[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Computer Information Systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]CLEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 60[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Management - 71[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Marketing - 67[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Macroeconomics - 54 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Microeconomics - 57 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business Law- 65 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]DSST's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Supervision - 59[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business - 63[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Financial Accounting- 54[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]FEMA Credits earned: 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ALEKS Intro to Stats completed 3/10/09 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ASBA - TESC - 3/6/09
BSBA - general management in progress
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Working on: PF Business and Technical Writing[/SIZE]
Inwe Wrote:I have talked to two advisors recently, and they both told me I could only only test out of 90 credits. The other 30 have to FEMA or classes. I am not in the military. Are you sure? If I can test out of all my credits I am going to be very happy!

Inwe,

I can absolutely assure you that TESC allows people to test out of all 120 credits of a degree. There is no residency requirement, so you can either test out of, or transfer credits in, from other institutions.

However, you can only test out of all 120 credits of your degree IF there are appropriate exams available to meet all your degree requirements. Is it possible that your advisors might have been informing you that 10 of the required courses for the marketing degree (Eg, 30 credits worth) don't have a corresponding exam; and that, as a result, YOU PERSONALLY would only be able to test out of 90 of the 120 credits needed to obtain your marketing degree at TESC? Alternatively, perhaps the advisors are assuming you ARE going the military route?

I would certainly push this issue with TESC. It is a very important matter that needs to be cleared up for you ASAP.

Please keep us updated,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks Snazzlefrag! I will definitely be calling them and discussing this matter further. I have not officially enrolled and paided tuition yet (I have been accepted) I was planning on doing all the testing I could first. However, before I sent in my application I talked to them and the man told me about the 30/90 thing. I suppose he could have thought I was in the military. I have written a degree plan factoring in the classes, and found out that I have to take one of their maths or take CLEP Pre-Calculas and lose my College Algrebra. I also have to take several Marketing classes, and their are one or two Required Business Courses that I couldn't find a test equivelant for. Ah, well!! At least I now know. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,618 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,943 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,793 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,975 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium