Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC PLAs using Saylor courses
I hear ya on Mr. Siben! We followed all the requirements for showing our interest in a PLA plan. We documented other Universities course descriptions (A LOT) and proved that our courses were indeed UL material from many Universities. Mr. Siben just basically said we could possibly use them for free electives, but that was it. I felt he couldn't be bothered to look into it and was cranky that we would even ask. It is too bad that he is in charge. I feel they could have a good program for PLA's without him.
Oh well....
Just to let you all know, I am still waiting for an answer from Marc Singer on if I can pursue PLAs without having to even bother with the PLA course, based on having PLAs from another school. I wrote him on April 29th, and haven't heard back yet. His auto-responder said he would be out until May 1st, so I may need to send a follow-up.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I just heard back from Marc Singer. This was his response:

[INDENT][INDENT]"Thanks for the reminder. I did see your previous email and was discussing it with a staff member here to figure out the best course of action. As I have written to you before, the process here is probably different from what you did at the Art Institute and elsewhere. A portfolio of your artwork is not the same as a portfolio for PLA, in which you develop a narrative, specifically address learning outcomes, provide evidence that supports claims, and the like. The examples you provided in your previous emails do use the word “portfolio,” but a portfolio can be many different things. I should have been clearer, but I thought that in the context of a discussion of PLA, I was being clear: by referring to a portfolio, I meant one in which you earned credit for your prior learning. I am not sure that what you submitted meets this definition; I would need more information.

I do not think I ever mentioned that you should check with Mr. Siben to discuss whether your credits would fit into your degree program, but if you are an enrolled student, it’s not a bad idea to talk with an Academic Advisor or with Todd about this. I believe you have already been in touch with Todd.

Regarding the residency requirement: here is the relevant quote from the webpage about this: “Residency requirements are met by earning credits via Thomas Edison State College Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses, TECEP exams (TE) or Portfolio Assessment (PA).” The kind of portfolio credits you want are PF credits, not PA. Take a look at the catalog pages I referred you to previously to get a sense of the difference. There is no question about this requirement. I did not set this policy, but there it is. I cannot waive it. So I could allow you to do the portfolio process that we have been discussing, with the understanding that you would not have the opportunity to consult with a mentor to make sure that you are doing your portfolio the right way, and would have no opportunity to appeal if you submit something that does not meet the requirements, and thus don’t get credit, but it would still not meet the residency requirement. You might look into TECEP exams, though.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck.

Regards,
Marc Singer"[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I've mentioned in my emails numerous times that I primarily need to just fill residency credits, because after the advertising TECEP I'll only need 3 upper level credits, the capstone course, and 3.33 elective credits to finish the degree. Then I need 12 more credits in whatever from TESC to fulfill residency. I've already told them I can provide tons of documented evidence (personal photos, videos, certificates, letters of recommendation, and a written narrative) so this is starting to just feel to me like excuses.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Just for the record, page 67 of their catalog says:

[INDENT]PA = Single Course, 12-week portfolio course
PF = Portfolio Assessment (after completion of PLA-200)[/INDENT]

So from Marc Singer's e-mail to me it seems like a person could that the PA course (PLA-100) and get 1 credit that would count towards residency, but any portfolio they put together in that course could not be reviewed and counted towards residency credits. Is the what other people would understand from this? I did just e-mail him back for clarification.
He responded back quickly, and said any portfolio developed event for the PLA-100 (PA) course would not count towards residency. So it is basically sounding like a person can get 1 credit for the PLA-100 course, but can't used the portfolio (PF) developed in that course for credit.

Hmmm, so now I need to re-evaluate my plan. I think I may take the free Kaplan PLA just to get rid of the .33 credits I need in my elective, and then just finish up on TECEPS... which really is going to bite. Either that or I consider getting an evaluation with Excelsior or Charter Oak, but I'm worried they'll make me jump through even more hoops. Do they have residency requirements?
SweetSecret Wrote:Either that or I consider getting an evaluation with Excelsior or Charter Oak, but I'm worried they'll make me jump through even more hoops. Do they have residency requirements?

Residency requirement for COSC is two courses: Cornerstone and Capstone.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Never mind. I just read the catalog entry. It would still be cheaper to take the TECEPs like Mednat said. The cornerstone and capstone at COSC are going to cost $2,076 for tuition plus the semester fee of $200-something. At Excelsior, you will need to take the capstone and information literacy. I don't know if they will let you transfer in information literacy from Penn Foster or LSU. The capstone will cost $490 per credit hour soon for a total of $1470, and you would have to pay the $1,065 enrollment fee.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It will likely be cheaper to use TECEPS over paying for COSC. This process sounds extremely frustrating, but it may be worthwhile to take some easier TECEPS to meet the residency requirement. It doesn't make them right (i disagree with them), but it will solve your problem.

I am surprised they've been so difficult on the PLA process, but if given the choice of navigating their bureaucracy or taking 8 TECEPS -- i'd happly take the TECEPS.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,092 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Saylor/TESU Discount Residency Waiver Fee for ASBA jumpstart 7 3,074 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,085 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,737 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,235 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,641 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,737 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,550 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,803 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu