Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Straighterline Microbiology transcribed as LL
cookderosa Wrote:Microbiology has always been iffy. For a while they have automatically listed community college Micro as LL and 4-year university Micro as UL, EVEN IF the 4-year university class had a 200 level title. Not to hate on SL, but they're not even a college, I've been wondering why they got something that the CCs didn't even get. My micro was through a CC, and I'd considered retaking it with SL just for that purpose. Obviously not going to now, but this doesn't shock me that much.
I actually don't think that's strange considering that all CC courses are now automatically LL. TESC has long bumped courses from 4-year schools up to UL if they were similar to an UL course they offered. So far, ACE and NCCRS credits have not gotten the CC treatment. In the grand scheme of things, even though TESC does not follow ACE recommendations, many ACE courses are evaluated as UL. Hardly any, if any, college will give UL credit for courses transferred from CCs because they are inherently taught at the LL.

Edit: I didn't get to finish because I had to do something. If the argument is that SL courses should not be granted UL credits because SL is not a college, then the same line of thinking would have to be applied to all ACE-evaluated courses and tests. That would defeat the purpose of ACE evaluation because its purpose is to evaluate college-level learning obtained outside of colleges. The most important things are course content and level of difficulty. CC courses are inherently LL in those respects.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I actually don't think that's strange considering that all CC courses are now automatically LL. TESC has long bumped courses from 4-year schools up to UL if they were similar to an UL course they offered. So far, ACE and NCCRS credits have not gotten the CC treatment. In the grand scheme of things, even though TESC does not follow ACE recommendations, many ACE courses are evaluated as UL. Hardly any, if any, college will give UL credit for courses transferred from CCs because they are inherently taught at the LL.

Edit: I didn't get to finish because I had to do something. If the argument is that SL courses should not be granted UL credits because SL is not a college, then the same line of thinking would have to be applied to all ACE-evaluated courses and tests. That would defeat the purpose of ACE evaluation because its purpose is to evaluate college-level learning obtained outside of colleges. The most important things are course content and level of difficulty. CC courses are inherently LL in those respects.

I'm on board with CC classes automatically being LL. That's intuitive, you'll never find me arguing someones CC class should be UL.
As to why SL gets UL for micro? I have no idea. How TESC credits SL is going to depend on their ACE eval, and being evaluated as UL by ACE isn't very common. I've got no dog in this fight, but it's just very curious to me.
I had this same dilemma. I took micro with lab at CC, it transferred as LL to TESC, so I decided to take it again through SL to get UL credit for it. Had Straighterline send my transcripts with micro, business ethics, intro to religion, and anthro. Saw the other courses fill up spots in my eval, got pretty busy, and didn't notice that TESC completely ignored the micro sent from SL. They disregarded it, and never added it to my transcript (my thinking was maybe they saw I already had a micro course and just threw the extra one away). Called SL, and confirmed that they did indeed include micro in the transcript sent so I don't know what happened on TESCs end. Long story short, I overlooked it, needed one more UL course, and ended up having to take another UL course when the micro I took through SL should have filled the last spot. Sad I don't think I'm going to argue it because the 4 unit micro in my eval fits good in the spot its in, and if I replace it with the 3 unit one (UL or not) I think the credit distribution will be a little wacky.

Lesson: make sure every class is accounted for lol!
Hunter91 Wrote:I had this same dilemma. I took micro with lab at CC, it transferred as LL to TESC, so I decided to take it again through SL to get UL credit for it. Had Straighterline send my transcripts with micro, business ethics, intro to religion, and anthro. Saw the other courses fill up spots in my eval, got pretty busy, and didn't notice that TESC completely ignored the micro sent from SL. They disregarded it, and never added it to my transcript (my thinking was maybe they saw I already had a micro course and just threw the extra one away). Called SL, and confirmed that they did indeed include micro in the transcript sent so I don't know what happened on TESCs end. Long story short, I overlooked it, needed one more UL course, and ended up having to take another UL course when the micro I took through SL should have filled the last spot. Sad I don't think I'm going to argue it because the 4 unit micro in my eval fits good in the spot its in, and if I replace it with the 3 unit one (UL or not) I think the credit distribution will be a little wacky.

Lesson: make sure every class is accounted for lol!

hunter- you should for sure have them re-evaluate. SL Micro should count for you. You might have to tell them to take OFF the CC micro. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking you're right and it's coming up as a duplicate (which it is) but since they duplicate with DIFFERENT numbers, getting that LL number off there might help TESC how to do this for you.
Whenever TESC forgets to put a course on your evaluation, you should always contact them. Don't waste money on another course until you find out if they overlooked a transcript or course. They make mistakes all the time.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,676 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,460 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,207 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  COSC & Straighterline Transcripts MichiganMax 4 1,560 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU not accepting straighterline email transcript dropout2PE2BSBA 2 1,313 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: dropout2PE2BSBA
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,997 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,380 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are StraighterLine final exams made of questions asked in the previous exams? csyzarc 5 5,815 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Does StraighterLine credit transfer to TESU as Credit/No Credit or is it graded? csyzarc 2 2,565 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,785 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138