Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC question
On the TESC credit bank application page, it states that "The Credit Banking fee entitles students to transcription services for one year."

Does that mean that anything I submit to them for credit is only available for one year before I have to pay the fee again? Is that correct?
APUS - 64 SH
UNITAR/POTI - 22 SH
AARTS/ACE - 6 SH
DOCNET - *Doesn't carry the weight that DOCNET claims it does*
FEMA - Currently taking courses
CLEP - Studying
I'm not sure, but it sounds like they will only accept the credits you send in for one year. Your transcript will be good forever, but you can't continue to add credits to the credit bank after one year has passed. You should probably call bursar or registrar for clarification or send them an email.
MP_Steve Wrote:On the TESC credit bank application page, it states that "The Credit Banking fee entitles students to transcription services for one year."

Does that mean that anything I submit to them for credit is only available for one year before I have to pay the fee again? Is that correct?

Yes. What are you hoping to accomplish with a credit bank? 99% of the time it's a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. (I think in 2009 someone made a good argument for a very narrow purpose,but I've forgotten it by now lol)
This is something I never really understood. What is the purpose of credit banking?
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I think the purpose of it is attempting to gain credit for training on an official college transcript that you otherwise may not be given credit for.

I need to satisfy my elective requirements (11 SH remaining) so I'm taking FEMA independent study courses right now. Frederick Community College partners with FEMA for the credit, so there is no credit banking, but I'm going to get my FEMA classes onto the Frederick transcript and submit it to my school (APUS) so I can satisify my electives. After all that is done I'll only have 6 classes left so I'm eager to finish.

I hope that makes sense.
APUS - 64 SH
UNITAR/POTI - 22 SH
AARTS/ACE - 6 SH
CLEP - Studying
So credit banking is just the mechanism for laundering credits? That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:This is something I never really understood. What is the purpose of credit banking?

For TESC to extract money from people who are not enrolled at TESC.

Most people don't understand what it is, which is why I think they do it. It's nothing more than a document- it's NOT an official transcript. Feel free to send me your credits, I'll type 'em up real nice, all on ONE PIECE OF PAPER and you an send me $400. Smile

I think people believe there is some valid reason to have all of your credit on 1 piece of paper, (I remembered that example from 2009- I think it was a police officer to be documenting enough credit to apply for the force or something like that, same situation for a military hopeful) but you are not accumulating an official record since your not a TESC student, not saving any steps, and you are spending additional money to boot!

Say this is your academic history:

High school- AP course led to AP exam with passing score
Community College- 4 credits from AP class, 12 credits other classes
Last year- 1 CLEP
This year- 1 DSST

So, you look at this and think to yourself that you have all this scattered credit, wouldn't it be nice for it to be on 1 transcript? So you buy a credit bank. You pay for official transcripts from EACH of the above ($$$), and TESC types it up real nice- and shoots you a pdf showing all of your "credits" that you have. Cool!

Now, you apply to Charter Oak. So, Charter Oak wants your transcripts, so you send them your nice neat 1 page credit bank transcript. Guess what? Charter Oak laughs and thinks, we outta offer this service. No, John Doe, we need OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. So, now you get to go back to each original source (plus high school) and send Charter Oak your ORIGINAL AP score report, CC transcript, CLEP score report, and DSST score report. Charter Oak returns the TESC credit bank page since it's not actually a transcript, you were not even a student at TESC, you didn't take classes with them- and their evaluation (opinion) is irrelevant since you are applying to become a student at Charter Oak. *you can't launder credits.

You say, crap, I just bought official transcripts TWICE and paid TESC $400. Why did I do that? And I say, gosh I don't know? Confusedmilelol:
cookderosa Wrote:For TESC to extract money from people who are not enrolled at TESC.

Most people don't understand what it is, which is why I think they do it. It's nothing more than a document- it's NOT an official transcript. Feel free to send me your credits, I'll type 'em up real nice, all on ONE PIECE OF PAPER and you an send me $400. Smile

I think people believe there is some valid reason to have all of your credit on 1 piece of paper, (I remembered that example from 2009- I think it was a police officer to be documenting enough credit to apply for the force or something like that, same situation for a military hopeful) but you are not accumulating an official record since your not a TESC student, not saving any steps, and you are spending additional money to boot!

Say this is your academic history:

High school- AP course led to AP exam with passing score
Community College- 4 credits from AP class, 12 credits other classes
Last year- 1 CLEP
This year- 1 DSST

So, you look at this and think to yourself that you have all this scattered credit, wouldn't it be nice for it to be on 1 transcript? So you buy a credit bank. You pay for official transcripts from EACH of the above ($$$), and TESC types it up real nice- and shoots you a pdf showing all of your "credits" that you have. Cool!

Now, you apply to Charter Oak. So, Charter Oak wants your transcripts, so you send them your nice neat 1 page credit bank transcript. Guess what? Charter Oak laughs and thinks, we outta offer this service. No, John Doe, we need OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. So, now you get to go back to each original source (plus high school) and send Charter Oak your ORIGINAL AP score report, CC transcript, CLEP score report, and DSST score report. Charter Oak returns the TESC credit bank page since it's not actually a transcript, you were not even a student at TESC, you didn't take classes with them- and their evaluation (opinion) is irrelevant since you are applying to become a student at Charter Oak. *you can't launder credits.

You say, crap, I just bought official transcripts TWICE and paid TESC $400. Why did I do that? And I say, gosh I don't know? Confusedmilelol:

Thanks. I'll shy away from the credit bank and just use Frederick for the credits. They're contracted by FEMA to offer a degree program in emergency management with FEMA's independent study courses. Since the FEMA classes count as Frederick's in-residence requirement, I think I may look into their degree program. All I have to do is finish the FEMA IS courses and a general ed math requirement and I'd be good to go!
APUS - 64 SH
UNITAR/POTI - 22 SH
AARTS/ACE - 6 SH
CLEP - Studying
MP_Steve Wrote:Thanks. I'll shy away from the credit bank and just use Frederick for the credits. They're contracted by FEMA to offer a degree program in emergency management with FEMA's independent study courses. Since the FEMA classes count as Frederick's in-residence requirement, I think I may look into their degree program. All I have to do is finish the FEMA IS courses and a general ed math requirement and I'd be good to go!

Excellent news! Good luck to you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,656 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,435 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,639 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,732 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,978 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,986 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,806 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,618 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 2,019 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,959 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium