Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC vs Excelsior
Chuckers Wrote:I am going for a BA in Psych. and have been going through TESC for about 18 months, but am contemplating switching to EC. I am looking at EC because they seem more liberal about where your non-major courses come from than TESC. That and I would get out of having to take Statistics and a Computer Science. The down side I see to EC is Fees (WOW!). You can spend over $1300 in fees without taking a class (not even counting test fees)
$75 -Application FEE
$765 - Enrollment FEE ($895 for non-military)
$495 - Graduation FEE
$1335

Plus $440 per year while you are enrolled. At least this is how I interpreted their web site. Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Just wondering if there is something I am missing. Thanks

Chuck

I'm a little confused by this. Prior to signing up with Excelsior I looked at Thomas Edison State College and noticed if it would take me two years (50 credits) to graduate and I took no classes from them, but classes from American River College and DSST/CLEP exams, I had the following fees calculated on their site

Year 1
Application Fee = $75
Transfer of previously earned credit = 70 s.h.
Annual Tuition = $2300
Technology Services Fee = $97
Transfer of credit earned at other institutions = 25 s.h.
*Estimated costs for year 1 = $2,472

Year 2
Annual Tuition = $1995
*Estimated costs for year 2 = $2,092

Graduation Fee = $225
Estimated costs for degree $4,789

That means, if I sign up with TESC and graduate in 1 1/2 to 2 years and take no classes from them, I would have to pay $4,789.00 in addition to my classes that I take at American River and DSST/CLEP exams.

If I took the remaining 50 units with half at TESC and half testing out, I would have to pay $11,239.00 plus the fees for CLEP/DSST.

Year 1
Application Fee = $75
Annual Tuition = $2300
Course Registration Fee $35 per semester @ 3 semesters = $105
Course Tuition 13 s.h. @ $165 = $2145
Testing Tuition 13 s.h. @ $75 = $975
*Estimated costs for year 1 = $5,697

Year 2
Annual Tuition = $1995
*Estimated costs for year 2 = $5,317

Graduation Fee = $225
Estimated costs for degree $11,239

With Excelsior College, I paid the following fees:
$75.00 Undergraduate Application for Admissions
$765.00 Baccalaureate Undergraduate fee for veterans

paid $840.00 for first year.

For the second year, I would pay the following fees
$440.00 student service annual fee
$495.00 Graduation fee

$935.00 for second and final year of school.

Total fees would be $1,775.00
If this is incorrect, or there is other ways to cut costs with TESC I would like to know.

Joe Lomas
joel66 Wrote:I'm a little confused by this. Prior to signing up with Excelsior I looked at Thomas Edison State College and noticed if it would take me two years (50 credits) to graduate and I took no classes from them, but classes from American River College and DSST/CLEP exams, I had the following fees calculated on their site

Year 1
Application Fee = $75
Annual Tuition = $2300
*Estimated costs for year 1 = $2,472

Year 2
Annual Tuition = $1995
*Estimated costs for year 2 = $2,092

Graduation Fee = $225
Estimated costs for degree $4,789

That means, if I sign up with TESC and graduate in 1 1/2 to 2 years and take no classes from them, I would have to pay $4,789.00 in addition to my classes that I take at American River and DSST/CLEP exams.

If I took the remaining 50 units with half at TESC and half testing out, I would have to pay $11,239.00 plus the fees for CLEP/DSST.

Year 1
Application Fee = $75
Annual Tuition = $2300
*Estimated costs for year 1 = $5,697

Year 2
Annual Tuition = $1995
*Estimated costs for year 2 = $5,317

Graduation Fee = $225
Estimated costs for degree $11,239

With Excelsior College, I paid the following fees:
$75.00 Undergraduate Application for Admissions
$765.00 Baccalaureate Undergraduate fee for veterans

paid $840.00 for first year.

For the second year, I would pay the following fees
$440.00 student service annual fee
$495.00 Graduation fee

$935.00 for second and final year of school.

Total fees would be $1,775.00
If this is incorrect, or there is other ways to cut costs with TESC I would like to know.

Joe Lomas

Joe, I think you are correct. In my case, I applied to both, but could only get a pell grant at TESC. ($4000 is hard to turn down!)
Joe,

You are counting TESC's own Testing Fees of $75/credit for each TECEP exam taken. This only applies IF you take one of THEIR exams. If you take a CLEP or DANTES exam instead, you can remove $225/exam from your estimated fees and simply pay $70/exam (usually 3 credits each).

$75/credit soon mounts up....but $70/three credits is much more palatable. The more CLEP/DANTES you take...the cheaper your degree will be.

The more full-length (and full price) courses you take (instead of exams), the more your costs will escalate until they are eventually on par with any normal in-the-seat degree you care to find.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
My first example has taking only ARC classes and CLEP/DANTES classes. On the 2nd one it's half DSST/CLEP and rest are courses at Thomas Edison, thanks for pointing out my mistake. The two year cost would change for that option from $11,239.00 to $$9,289

As for Pell grant at TESC does that only apply to New York residence? I have to rough it out another year before I can apply for any financial aid. For 2006 I had over 110K in total income for the family because my wife was working and I had some overtime lawsuit awarded with a company that put me out of anything. This year, my wife is going full time and both my wife and son is going to college full time and I'm also taking college classes.

My income for 2007 would be 60,000. With my mortgage and equity line of credit, I have very little residual income left over. I'm hoping for 2008 I can qualify for financial aid. I would like to use my employer, but I'm also interviewing with other companies, which is why I'm taking clep/dsst, just in case I make the move.
joel66 Wrote:My first example has taking only ARC classes and CLEP/DANTES classes. On the 2nd one it's half DSST/CLEP and rest are courses at Thomas Edison, thanks for pointing out my mistake. The two year cost would change for that option from $11,239.00 to $$9,289

As for Pell grant at TESC does that only apply to New York residence? I have to rough it out another year before I can apply for any financial aid. For 2006 I had over 110K in total income for the family because my wife was working and I had some overtime lawsuit awarded with a company that put me out of anything. This year, my wife is going full time and both my wife and son is going to college full time and I'm also taking college classes.

My income for 2007 would be 60,000. With my mortgage and equity line of credit, I have very little residual income left over. I'm hoping for 2008 I can qualify for financial aid. I would like to use my employer, but I'm also interviewing with other companies, which is why I'm taking clep/dsst, just in case I make the move.

Hey Joe,

You really can't beat the CLEP/DANTES exams in value for money. My advice would be to figure out which courses you can test out of, and then just start hacking away at the exams.

I have taken forty (40) of these exams at a TOTAL cost of just under $2500. That's about 130 credits for $2500.

Also, if you enroll in TESC (or ECE) too early, you are going to end up paying far too much money in yearly renewal fees. Why not wait until you are just about done with your degree requirements....and THEN enroll?

Just a few thoughts,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
Hey Snazzlefrag,

I'm a newbie here, and I've read enough of your excellent advice in other posts to feel somewhat hesitant to disagree with you, but I wanted to point out one thing for joel:

I do agree with the point you made about the annual fees for EC, and the need to wait until you've taken enough credits to knock out the degree in a year. However; I started with EC while only having a few credits, and I still plan on completing my BS in General Business by the end of the year. It's perfectly doable (as I'm sure I don't have to tell you), provided that you dedicate the time needed to study and keep a steady test schedule going. I work anywhere from 60-70 hours a week consistently, and my days are quite literally - "Wake up, work, work some more, work late, go home and study, talk to the significant other on the phone for an hour, go to bed" for six days out of the week. That seventh day though... It's all about the CLEP tests.. Wink

My only worry with holding off before enrolling is all the new requirements that EC is coming out with. They seem to be adding mandatory classes (IC, BP, ect) to their degree plans. They've been pretty good about allowing those students who are already enrolled to seek alternate paths for those classes. Because of this, I'll still be able to keep my graduation date (barring any unforseen developments). If I had to take a full semester worth of classes though.. Well I have no idea when I'd get that degree.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Chebasaz Wrote:Hey Snazzlefrag,

I'm a newbie here, and I've read enough of your excellent advice in other posts to feel somewhat hesitant to disagree with you, but I wanted to point out one thing for joel:

I do agree with the point you made about the annual fees for EC, and the need to wait until you've taken enough credits to knock out the degree in a year. However; I started with EC while only having a few credits, and I still plan on completing my BS in General Business by the end of the year. It's perfectly doable (as I'm sure I don't have to tell you), provided that you dedicate the time needed to study and keep a steady test schedule going. I work anywhere from 60-70 hours a week consistently, and my days are quite literally - "Wake up, work, work some more, work late, go home and study, talk to the significant other on the phone for an hour, go to bed" for six days out of the week. That seventh day though... It's all about the CLEP tests.. Wink

My only worry with holding off before enrolling is all the new requirements that EC is coming out with. They seem to be adding mandatory classes (IC, BP, ect) to their degree plans. They've been pretty good about allowing those students who are already enrolled to seek alternate paths for those classes. Because of this, I'll still be able to keep my graduation date (barring any unforseen developments). If I had to take a full semester worth of classes though.. Well I have no idea when I'd get that degree.

Hi Chebasaz,

You're alright! There's no need to feel hesitant about disagreeing. Getting a bunch of different perspectives is a wise way to make an educated and well-balanced decision.

The truth is, I too have been burned by Excelsior's frustrating policy changes as of late. However, for someone in Joe's position (money is an important issue, anticipating taking a couple of years to finish up, contemplating TESC rather than Excelsior), I still tend to think that he is better off investing his money into earning credits rather than putting it all down on enrollment/tuition fees, and then not having anything left to actually earn his credits.

Obviously, if money was not an issue, then my advice for Joe would be different. But I DO understand what you mean about locking in the policy. It seems that everytime I blink, Excelsior is changing their policy.

It feels like I am playing a game where the rules keep being changed on me, or that everytime I am just about to shoot a goal, Excelsior moves the goalposts.

hilarious
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
One of the reasons why I signed up with Excelsior a few months ago was to see where I stand officially and have a chart of progression so to speak. I'm also getting my monies worth by calling them all the time with useless questions, then calling again or emailing them the same information as I forgot the week prior. Lol Also, by getting courses pre-approved and making sure I'm following the right path.

I initially signed up for the B.S. Liberal Arts program and have like 30 units left, but starting to think it would be better to switch to the B.S.. in General Business as I'm thinking of pursuing my MBA and noticed the pre-mba foundation courses would take about 6 months anyways to complete. I would rather lock in now then wait for any additional requirements. Based on the requirements for the business, I need 33 credits of Arts & Sciences and 23 credit for business.

Basically looking at the following for Arts & Sciences
5.0 Math 100 Elementary Algebra - American River College self pace program
5.0 Math 120 Intermediate Algebra - ARC's self pace program
5.0 Math 110 Elementary Geometry - regular ARC class 16 week
3.0 Statistics - 6 week online program at ARC
* 3.0 MATH 342 Modern Business Mathematics at ARC
3.0 Ethics in America - DSST - okay under Arts & Sciences by Excelsior
3.0 Organizational Behavior - DSST - okay under Arts & Sciences by Excelsior
3.0 Microeconomics - undecided on either CLEP or ARC online class
3.0 Macroeconomics - undecided on either CLEP or ARC online class
-----
33.0 units for Arts & Sciences

* This course is designed around applications of mathematics in economic and business contexts. Specific topics include functions and related business formulas, tables and graphs, finance (interest and exponential models in economics), rates of change including applications and optimization, and linear programming.

Business Component
3.0 Financial Accounting - undecided on either CLEP or ARC online 4.0 unit class
3.0 Managerial Accounting - no choice now, ARC online 4.0 unit class
3.0 Principles of Management - CLEP test
3.0 Principles of Marketing - CLEP test
3.0 Financial Management - DSST test
3.0 Production/Operations Management - Excelsior class?
3.0 Business Policy - Excelsior class?

FYI, the classes at ARC are $20.00 per credit unit, which is hard to beat. That is why I'm taking some classes at ARC.

Also, why so much MATH? I suck as math really bad and if I have to take the GMAT, I want to make sure I'm totally prepared. Also, I don't know if I want to give it a shot at a top school and don't know if they provide any type of scholarships with a high GMAT and good GPA. Also, most of the math at ARC is self paced, and with my son already completed his last Calculus class, I have a good tutor.
Joe,

If you do a BS in General Business, you will need to take a College Algebra of some sort. I would probably replace Geometry with a College Algebra course/exam/class.

For Operations Management, I would HIGHLY recommend Colorado State University's online course for $417 instead of Excelsior's course for almost twice the price.

Also, as part of your BS Business at Excelsior, you would need to include 12 credits of Upper Level Business elective. So you would need to factor that into this equation too (none of the credits mentioned in your list would count towards the 12 elective credits, because they are considered CORE requirements).

Hope we are helping you brainstorm,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Joe,

If you do a BS in General Business, you will need to take a College Algebra of some sort. I would probably replace Geometry with a College Algebra course/exam/class.

For Operations Management, I would HIGHLY recommend Colorado State University's online course for $417 instead of Excelsior's course for almost twice the price.

Also, as part of your BS Business at Excelsior, you would need to include 12 credits of Upper Level Business elective. So you would need to factor that into this equation too (none of the credits mentioned in your list would count towards the 12 elective credits, because they are considered CORE requirements).

Hope we are helping you brainstorm,
Snazzlefrag

I was told the "MATH 342 Modern Business Mathematics" would satisfy the upper division credit. I'm debating that, or taking the CLEP College Algebra to satisfy it. Have to weight my options once I get there. As for upper division credits, I was told I just need 2 more. For some reason, I thought one of those classes would fit the requirement. I'll need to find two unit course or something less stressful to take. lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 558 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 678 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 525 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 456 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,464 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior Professional Development Courses (Non-Credit) BBryant165 5 1,565 08-29-2022, 11:05 PM
  DEAC acquires Excelsior & UMPI accepts NA credits! bjcheung77 10 2,066 05-03-2022, 12:25 PM
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,360 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Excelsior advisor mistake dfwdegree 9 1,452 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  Referral code for COSC or Excelsior NeverDone 7 1,860 11-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Last Post: NeverDone