Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA Computer Science BSBA CIS Double Degree Plan
(08-18-2022, 11:22 AM)ACI Wrote: Rachel - what is the best thing to do?  My son is going for the dual degrees in CIS and CS.  He's currently working through the CIS degree first (because that was recommended on the forum.  Although some of the classes he's taken apply to the CS degree).  
If you make TESU aware that you are planning on graduating both degrees at the same time, will they put up both degree plans for you?  Or do you need to complete one before they add another?

I would definitely add both degrees to your degree plan. I had 4 degrees total added by TESU, 2 bachelor's, and 2 associates. Adding the degrees ensures that the requirements are locked in, so you aren't affected by changes.

(08-18-2022, 10:51 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I was wondering who wrote the dual BACS & BSBA CIS dual degree plan on the Wiki?:

Students who desire to have two different Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study. In addition, all requirements for both degrees must be satisfied.

I was hoping they could comment on the information that I received from a supervisor in TESU academic advising about how the degrees must be done in series and not concurrently. (I guess I am really hoping that the information I got is incorrect, even though it comes from a supervisor, and that someone has actually experience in doing them concurrently.)

Thanks!

I wrote the dual BACS & BSBA CIS dual degree plan on the Wiki.

I graduated with all the degrees at the same time. There is a form you fill out when you want to graduate. Then you fill out a separate form for each of your other degrees.

Technically they will audit your degree, but that should be a formality if it says you met all the requirements.

"Students who desire to have two different Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study. In addition, all requirements for both degrees must be satisfied."

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...of-Degrees
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • ACI, origamishuttle, scottlefoll
(08-18-2022, 11:54 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 11:22 AM)ACI Wrote: Rachel - what is the best thing to do?  My son is going for the dual degrees in CIS and CS.  He's currently working through the CIS degree first (because that was recommended on the forum.  Although some of the classes he's taken apply to the CS degree).  
If you make TESU aware that you are planning on graduating both degrees at the same time, will they put up both degree plans for you?  Or do you need to complete one before they add another?

I would definitely add both degrees to your degree plan. I had 4 degrees total added by TESU, 2 bachelor's, and 2 associates. Adding the degrees ensures that the requirements are locked in, so you aren't affected by changes.

(08-18-2022, 10:51 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I was wondering who wrote the dual BACS & BSBA CIS dual degree plan on the Wiki?:

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

I was hoping they could comment on the information that I received from a supervisor in TESU academic advising about how the degrees must be done in series and not concurrently. (I guess I am really hoping that the information I got is incorrect, even though it comes from a supervisor, and that someone has actually experience in doing them concurrently.)

Thanks!

I wrote the dual BACS & BSBA CIS dual degree plan on the Wiki.

I graduated with all the degrees at the same time. There is a form you fill out when you want to graduate. Then you fill out a separate form for each of your other degrees.

Technically they will audit your degree, but that should be a formality if it says you met all the requirements.

Awesome - thanks for a great plan! I first came across it a couple of weeks ago, and I having already started on the BACS. But adding the BSBA CIS makes a lot of sense to me because of the business background.

Obviously, I was really confused when I got an email from a Supervisor in Advising who otherwise really seems to know his stuff saying that there was basically no such thing as concurrent dual degrees, only sequential. When I followed the link that he sent me, I saw again about getting "two degrees in the same graduation cycle."

Not quite sure what is going on in the Advising Department.
(08-18-2022, 12:03 PM)scottlefoll Wrote: Not quite sure what is going on in the Advising Department.

I'm kind of convinced they don't know either. Wink Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
We are going to keep testing this double plan, since I´m also doing it Big Grin

BA in CS and Math
BSBA in CIS and Operations Management
Certificate in Finance

My idea for my 16 credits term could be:

Capstone
Capstone
Calculus III
History of Mathematics
International Economics
1 credit course
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-18-2022, 12:40 PM)MrPanda Wrote: We are going to keep testing this double plan, since I´m also doing it Big Grin

BA in CS and Math
BSBA in CIS and Operations Management
Certificate in Finance

My idea for my 16 credits term could be:

Capstone
Capstone
Calculus III
History of Mathematics
International Economics
1 credit course

We have a cs/math major attempting to do Calculus 3, Geometry, History of Math, SOS-110, Capstone, and PLA-100 all in one term. We'll see if he makes it come September.

I know just one math course can be 200 hours of work for some people, so you must be careful with a tough math course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
And International Economics is not easy either. I took it 15 years ago and got a D.

(Is not going to transfer, since I need Cs in order to transfer in case of international transcripts)

I´m looking for a place to take it, before going to my last term.
(08-18-2022, 11:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Is he fully enrolled? If so, simply email advising and say "I would like to have Computer Science added to my degree plan. I do not want to remove the BSBA CIS." They may come back and give you some nonsense about getting both degrees at once to be impossible or whatever. If that happens, ignore the warnings and claim that you're still deciding, but you want both plans on your account to help you decide.

If he's not enrolled yet, he really should be. It'll help keep track of classes and ensure that he's not stuck if they suddenly decide to stop accepting a class that he's already taken. That doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Yes, he is fully enrolled.  Thanks - I'll have him do that.
(04-06-2022, 09:30 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Here is a degree plan on how to get a BA in Computer Science and BSBA CIS at the same time:

Once you have a computer science degree, you only need 6 more courses + the capstone BSBA CIS.

An alternative would be to pick up the associates in business admin for free without having to take extra courses.

If you find any errors, let me know.

Looks like those 6 courses are only really study.com for alternative credits. Is that the case?
(10-02-2022, 02:59 PM)CanICode Wrote: Looks like those 6 courses are only really study.com for alternative credits. Is that the case?

It is actually 4 courses + the capstone. Calculus can be done at Sophia or SL. You can swap out SDC Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications for another course.

Technically you can do Intro to Programming at OD, but it's better to do it at SDC since the data structures assignment is in Java, and when you complete Intro to Programming, you automatically complete 1/2 of Data Structures.

The BA in Computer Science and BSBA CIS Double Degree Plan will only feature one suggested course. To see more options review the other degree plans for BA Computer Science and BSBA CIS

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...re_Roadmap

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan

[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 81 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 162 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 140 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 78 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 76 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,746 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 201 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,555 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 578 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 124 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM