Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BA Liberal Studies Degree Plan
Attempting to pursue a BA in Liberal Studies at Thomas Edison State University. Would appreciate any help on how I can fill any of these the cheapest or fastest way possible.

Transferred 31/120 credits required. Attempting to transfer 9 more from another college (Art History 2, DRAW, and DSGN).

Here is what my current Academic Evaluation looks like.

[Image: vgwzTg3.png]

I believe 15 SH are required to be taken at TESU, but capstone is required anyways so I need 12 more SH from Thomas Edison.

My current plan is to enroll full time at New Mexico Junior College so I can apply for FAFSA. There seems to be a maximum cost for tuition which is $828 for 12 or more hours per semester, and a separate option to pay $69 per hour instead if you don't do more than 12.

However, a maximum of 80 credits can be accepted from a "community college". Does this apply to credits/SH earned from Study, Straighterline, etc.? The other 9 credits I plan to transfer are from a 4 year college so I'm unsure if that would count and if I really need to take 40 credits/SH from TESU instead.
You can take 16SH at TESU, or pay the tuition waiver fee of $2500 and just take the capstone and cornerstone at TESU. If you take any Study.com courses, you can get the cornerstone waived and get a discount on tuition and the waiver fee. That's the cheapest way to go unless you are under the military tuition plan, in which case another set of rules apply.

The 80 credit limit on community college credits are separate from the 90 credit limit on an individual source that would apply to Study, SL, etc... so no problems there. In fact, at NMJC, you may have enough grant money left over to cover your fees for alternative credit and/or TESU.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • junipers
(05-16-2018, 11:19 AM)davewill Wrote: You can take 16SH at TESU, or pay the tuition waiver fee of $2500 and just take the capstone and cornerstone at TESU. If you take any Study.com courses, you can get the cornerstone waived and get a discount on tuition and the waiver fee. That's the cheapest way to go unless you are under the military tuition plan, in which case another set of rules apply.

The 80 credit limit on community college credits are separate from the 90 credit limit on an individual source that would apply to Study, SL, etc... so no problems there. In fact, at NMJC, you may have enough grant money left over to cover your fees for alternative credit and/or TESU.

Thanks, currently checking out Study.com. So it's $200 per month, which includes 2 free exams, and $70 per exam afterwards. No limit?
Most people here don't take hours at TESU unless it's a degree that can't be completed more cheaply through alternative credit. So, they pay the residency waiver fee of $2500 (or $1800 until 6/30/18, then the discount expires and the price will more than likely go up), and they also get a discount on the capstone (I think it's normally $1197, but only $1098 with the discount through 6/30).

Yes, Study.com is $199/mo, no limit on the number of exams you can take - although unless you have a LOT of time on your hands, you'll be limited by the fact that you have to do all the quizzes, and projects/papers for UL courses).

I would map out the courses you want to take, especially for UL.

Some other cheap ways to get credit:

Saylor ($25/exam)
TEEX - free (three 2-cr courses)
NFA - free (one 1-cr course)
Sophia - free (two 1-cr courses)
OnlineDegree.com - free (coming soon)
ModernStates/CLEP - free
Study.com/Guardian Scholarship (6 free courses over 3 months)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I know that TESU has changed some of their policies recently on credits they will accept, so please check and make sure these will still work, but I believe you can still take this free course from The Institutes to satisfy your Ethics requirement: https://www.theinstitutes.org/Comet/lear...ethics.htm It only comes in as 2 credit hours but you can take one of the free Sophia credits for an elective credit to make up the missing credit.

Also CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature. 6 credit hours. I believe this would satisfy your Information Literacy requirement and give you an additional 3 hours of GE credit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic