Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BALS Question and Plan Check
Big Grin 
After months of moving things around on my BALS degree plan (using mostly study.com), I think I have it all set.

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially the UL AOS.

Study.com/TESU course
PSY 104/PSY 370 Social Psychology
PSY 105/PSY 322 Research in Exp Psych
PSY 106/PSY 350 Abnormal Psychology
BUS 107/??????? Organizational Behavior
COM 102/COM 330? Interpersonal communication

Regarding the study.com COM 102 Interpersonal Communication:
What does it transfer in as at TESU?
I know it is a NCCRS credit and to use the smartsheet link.

And the Organizational Behavior class? I've read posts saying it transferred as PSY 361 or MAN 311...

Thanks!

Attached Files
.xlsx   triforce828 BALS degreeforum.xlsx (Size: 57.26 KB / Downloads: 28)
Org Behavior comes in as MAN-311, but TESU counts it as a PSY course as well.

Interpersonal Comm will probably not come in as COM 330 because it's a LL course through NCCRS. So if you're looking for an UL course at Study.com, you could do BUS 113: Business Comm (COM-300), BIO 106: Pathophysiology (BIO-316), or HIS 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War (HIS-351).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU BALS Wrap up

We (Mom and Kid2) wanted to consolidate our thoughts about the TESU AA and BALS experience for others on this path.  Kid1's 2016 COSC AA experience is mixed in too.
We also wanted to be real and mention our unexpected detours.  
We hope you are encouraged and learn from our journey.

The Short story
Capstone finished! Anticipated December conferral!
Thanks forum friends for all your help and encouragement!  
You can earn your degree too!  

Cost $6913 (testing fees, instantcert subscription, study.com, application fees, textbooks, transcripts, enrollment, residency waiver, graduation fees, credit card fees; will update if we find more expenses)   

Note:  things have changed in the year since applying at TESU:
- TESU is no longer enrolling anyone less than 18yo
- study.com Guardian Scholarship has been discontinued
- several UL courses have been downgraded to LL or are no longer accepted by ACE/TESU
- Cornerstone course is no longer waived for study.com affiliates
- Scroll down to "Future Plans" section below to read a couple more general concerns about this plan

The Long story

Degree Plan:
Attached is an updated PDF of how the degree finally worked out as compared to the original plan.

Background:
We independently homeschool -- not affiliated with a public or private school.  Before you stereotype us as cloistered recluses, the kids are typical teenagers: not super duper academic nor extremely self-disciplined/directed.  There were daily extracurricular activities (piano, karate, choir, youth group, lots of driving practice, etc).  We STILL remind them to do their chores, schoolwork, and to put down the electronic devices.  And yes, we live in the city, we own a tv and watch lots of Netflix.

Kid2 mostly finished high school requirements by junior year because her high school work began in 8th grade. However, after the 2nd year it became evident she needed to gain study/life/organizational skills.  Everyone (mom too!) needed to regroup and mature.  We slowed the pace a little, eased up on expectations.  In the end, she graduated high school at the same time as her peergroup (but with a bonus AA and forthcoming BA).

After we realized a BALS was possible the summer before senior year, our plan changed.  The typical plan had been to do the subject (via textbook, online homeschool class) and then take the corresponding CLEP test at the end of the year.  There was MUCH resistance to this plan.   However when we discovered dual enrollment at the CC, anywhere from 3-10 units were taken per semester (including summer) for 6 semesters  That was enough homework.  Study.com was completed in little pockets of the day, weekends, school breaks.

Timeline
2011-ish? Found out about CLEP, ACE, degreeforum/instantcert, CollegePlus, etc
Feb 2015: First CBE completed -- ALEKS College Algebra with trigonometry
June 2016: First CLEP passed -- Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
August 2016: First dual enrollment CC course completed -- Trigonometry
June 2017: realized an AA before high school graduation was very possible.  Applied to COSC and TESU.
July 2017: realized TESU BALS could be completed shortly after high school graduation; challenge accepted!
August 2017: First study.com course (via Guardian scholarship) completed--  Personal Finance
December 2017: requirements for TESU AA completed
January 2018: First/only TECEP passed: Math for Liberal Arts
March 2018: TESU AA conferred
June 2018: High School Graduation
August 2018: TESU LIB-495 completed
December 2018: anticipated conferral of TESU BALS

Thoughts on Alternative Credit sources/resources/TESU/COSC
Straighterline -- Kid1 loved it, Kid2 only took American Government and did not pass proctored exam (first remote proctoring experience).  Kid2 never went back to SL.

CLEP -- Kids were always very nervous going in.  I think there was one non-pass, but we always had a post-test celebratory ice cream/milkshake/treat.  Studying and taking the test are wins!

REA CLEP guides -- a necessity!  Kids studied for a couple of weeks after completing regular high school material.  Took practice exams many times in week leading up to test.

InstantCert flash cards -- totally worth every penny!  The feedback forums were invaluable.  Thanks to everyone who shared study guides.  

DSST - Kid1 took only one and passed by one point.  Never needed another DSST.

TECEP - Kid2 is pretty comfortable with math.  She just wanted 3 easy credits with Liberal Arts Math.   (And when she found out CLEP College Math was worth 6 credits she happily sat for it.  She felt they were pretty similar exams.) 

study.com - Kid2 likes the format better than SL.  Mom was annoyed when only one of the two allotted exams were taken.   There was a VERY stressful November/December 2017 trying to complete UL courses before the LL reclassification.  BTW, some of those psychology classes had sections on sexual deviance -- we had some heavy discussions.  

modernstates.com - made an account.  Watched two lessons. Kid decided if she had to watch a million videos she would just use study.com.  Kudos to all of you receiving free test vouchers.

TESU LIB 495 Capstone:  read all the posts you can about them.  It's work (pay attention to deadlines).  A very rewarding accomplishment when complete.  Kid2 says if she can survive Capstone, she can survive anything...

Rest In Peace Jumpcourse.com, we liked your peppy videos!

(Read a brief summary of our family's experience with COSC and TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...gree-by-18)

Future Plans
Earning the degrees have lifted a weight from our shoulders and we all breathe easier.  She would like to earn another degree in what she would like as a career -- maybe an engineering discipline, maybe something in digital arts. So she's still attending the CC and trying out lots of classes including accounting, programming, more art.  

We had a small panic and we don't want anyone else to be unaware of a potential situation.  
- We already knew this path would exclude her from eligibility as a first-time freshman.
- At a CC transfer center seminar, we learned most of the in-state public universities do not accept applicants for a 2nd Bachelors (there are a few exceptions).  I spent hours pondering if this BA was a humongous future-limiting curse.  Several people have provided perspective ("just do grad school, do post-baccalaureate study, there are plenty of universities who'll take your money, rules change").  So we're definitely asking lots of very specific questions at campus visits.  

To other young degree earners and/or homeschoolers

1.  Most colleges don't/can't/won't talk to parents (thanks FERPA!).  Make sure your student understands what is going on with their education and can communicate it to their academic advisers and professors if need be. 

2.  I wish we looked into taking more CLEPs and APs as they seem more widely accepted.  

3.  Make sure you are still fulfilling your state's high school requirements and/or your dream university's requirements.  Kid2's high school and TESU transcripts are heavy in math, light in history. Some CC history classes are expected soon.

4.  On being a transfer student -- Kid1 transferred to a small B&M private university.  There's a little bit of frustration because she feels like she lost 2 years of building friendships/experiences AND she's GOING to miss out on 2 years of friendship/experiences. She had only 1 semester she was eligible to study abroad, but really couldn't schedule it. She loves the campus, professors, and programs. She's sad to leave it so soon.  

Lastly, there are too many people to acknowledge:  
Thank YOU for bearing with this super-long post!
Thanks to the many brave newbies who boldly posted their questions.  
Thanks to any generous souls who responded so quickly and thoughtfully.  

@cookderosa -- You were really the kick in the pants we needed to start this process.  I think it was a video with the rainbow cake. Thanks for the community you have created on FB as well.
@bjcheung -- The beginners guide finally broke it down into manageable pieces.
@dfrecore -- like cookderosa, you know entirely too much about this process.  Thanks for sharing so freely!
@davewill @Synicaal @Ideas -- you provided so many thoughtful, encouraging nuggets of information when we needed it most
@nodaclu -- you were our pacing partner. Did you know? Your progress thread answered a lot of questions we were having.  We marvel you are employed AND completing degrees. Kid2 was always studying -- and therefore said she couldn't get a part-time afterschool job.  (Hmm we need to work on more time-management skills.)   Maybe I can convince her to keep following you for an MBA....

Fun Fact: Kid1 is finishing her BA degree at a B&M University in December too.  Her degree conferral is 2 weeks AFTER Kid2. 

Fun Fact:  We relocated 2-hours north during the second week of LIB-495 Capstone!  While this is not ideal, it was possible due to online learning!

Attached Files
.pdf   Triforce828 BALS Degree.pdf (Size: 85.03 KB / Downloads: 43)
[-] The following 6 users Like triforce828's post:
  • acamp, dfrecore, hsfamfun, Kelly Green, MNomadic, Murdockb
(09-01-2018, 06:09 PM)triforce828 Wrote: Future Plans
Earning the degrees have lifted a weight from our shoulders and we all breathe easier.  She would like to earn another degree in what she would like as a career -- maybe an engineering discipline, maybe something in digital arts. So she's still attending the CC and trying out lots of classes including accounting, programming, more art.  

To other young degree earners and/or homeschoolers

2.  I wish we looked into taking more CLEPs and APs as they seem more widely accepted.  

4.  On being a transfer student -- Kid1 transferred to a small B&M private university.  There's a little bit of frustration because she feels like she lost 2 years of building friendships/experiences AND she's GOING to miss out on 2 years of friendship/experiences. She had only 1 semester she was eligible to study abroad, but really couldn't schedule it. She loves the campus, professors, and programs. She's sad to leave it so soon.  

Love this post!  Thank you for sharing.

Just want to address a few things.

1) Love that your kid is going "back" to CC to explore options.  This is a fantastic idea, especially if you live in a state with inexpensive CC's.  MOOC's are another way to do this.

2) Whenever I talk to recent HS grads, I almost never encourage the non-traditional path.  Not because I don't believe in it, but because most aren't ready, and most need more time to explore and figure out what they want to do.  I don't want to narrow it down too much for them at this early junction.  But it's by no means a bad idea, especially if the parent is aware of what's going on.  Most (99%) do not.  Kudos to you for being the guiding light for your kids in this area, they are lucky to have you!

3) I don't even recommend CLEP exams to younger students if they aren't sure where they want to transfer.  CA has 2 systems - UC which is more widely known (UCLA, UC Davis, UC Berkeley) does not accept ANY CLEP exams, but will definitely accept AP exams.  And CSU, which is the larger system, WILL accept CLEP in addition to AP.  No sense taking a CLEP exam and then finding out that your school won't take it.

4) You might want to remind Kid1 that if he/she got to your local CC for 2 years before transferring to the 4-yr school (which might have been the case if you couldn't afford 4 years of the private school), he/she would have missed out on those 2 years of friendships that way as well.  BUT, he/she has the rest of their life to make friendships, it's not like once you leave college you're destined to be lonely and friendless...Kids can be a little short-sighted!   Tongue

Good luck to your kids as they continue on their paths!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • triforce828
Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to write this! I found it very interesting and very encouraging. Good job to your kids and to YOU!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Murdockb's post:
  • hsfamfun, triforce828
Wow...I'm blown away by the tremendous discipline and focus that your kids have shown in following this path. Kudos to them both! Smile

I'm thrilled that my progress thread helped in some small way. This has been one of the most challenging things I've ever done. I just wish I would have finished before my dad passed in 2014. For literally decades, he wanted this more for me than I wanted it for myself.

As a 20 year HR veteran with a fair bit of recruiting experience, I can tell you that a Bachelor's Degree is quickly becoming the expected minimum education standard. Going forward, job applicants will separate themselves by their graduate degrees. So don't worry about the BALS potentially limiting them in any way.

In fact, I believe going forward that employers are going to expect applicants to have a more well-rounded education, and will favor those with a liberal arts undergrad background paired with a specific, focused, practical graduate degree (along with an increasing number of certifications in various fields).

A few examples of the changing times (I wish things had been this way 30 years ago! I might have been more motivated to finish back then):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeander...3592f0745d
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/books...ation.html
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowledge...-stand-out

The sky's the limit for your kids. You've positioned them well for the future. Congratulations! Smile
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • triforce828

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 278 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 411 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 341 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 783 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 629 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts