Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BSBA CIS + BACS Dual Degrees
I wanted to start a thread discussion on this specific degree plan at TESU. I am hoping to share information that I gain on the process, and of course learn from those that are also working on the same plan.

One of the first question that comes to mind is if anyone has any good sources for Upper Level course work in the CIS Area of Study, other than the 4 UL courses that are accepted from SDC? I am aware of the TECEP CMP 354 Networking exam, but also that it has some shortcomings.
ASU's CIS-309 Business Process Management has previously been preplanned to come in as CIS-440 for the BSBA CIS. It will not work for the BA CS. The course costs a total of $425. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-13-2022, 09:07 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I wanted to start a thread discussion on this specific degree plan at TESU. I am hoping to share information that I gain on the process, and of course learn from those that are also working on the same plan.

One of the first question that comes to mind is if anyone has any good sources for Upper Level course work in the CIS Area of Study, other than the 4 UL courses that are accepted from SDC? I am aware of the TECEP CMP 354 Networking exam, but also that it has some shortcomings.

What are the four from SDC? I only see three that transfer in as UL CIS courses: Business 303 (Management Information Systems), Computer Science 302 (System Analysis & Design I), and Computer Science 303 (Database Management).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
For whatever reason, Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising comes in as a valid CIS class for TESU purposes. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-13-2022, 11:06 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 09:07 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: I wanted to start a thread discussion on this specific degree plan at TESU. I am hoping to share information that I gain on the process, and of course learn from those that are also working on the same plan.

What are the four from SDC? I only see three that transfer in as UL CIS courses: Business 303 (Management Information Systems), Computer Science 302 (System Analysis & Design I), and Computer Science 303 (Database Management).

The fourth one is CS 306 Computer Architecture.

(08-13-2022, 11:20 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For whatever reason, Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising comes in as a valid CIS class for TESU purposes. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Yes, but not as a UL CS course. I think it comes in as a CIS course because it is an actual upper-level business course in computers.

I was impressed by the degree plan for the dual BACS and BSBA CIS degrees at TESU that is one the wiki. However, I just got this email from TESU Academic Advising:

"As you will read in the Award of Degree policy, the two Areas of Study within one degree has a restriction on overlap within the Area of Study.  This can create complications and makes the process a bit more confusing.  I think earning two distinct degrees is easier to explain to an employer and looks more professional.  The downside of two degrees, is you would have to complete the first one and graduate before starting the second one, and you would need 24 new credits in the area of study, which are earned after the completion of the first degree.  (Even though you are not technically starting the second degree, you are earning credits which would apply to the second degree.  For example, we wouldn’t make you repeat General Education courses, such as SOS-110)."

This is actually from Michael Patrick, who is a supervisor in the Advising Department.

I was under the impression that this was wrong information, and that the two degrees could be completed simultaneously. It sounds like the CS electives could not also be used for CIS AOS and Professional courses because he is saying that they must be earned after the first degree is earned.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Advising is correct, you need 24 different credits in the second degree, you can have 9 credits overlapping in the AOS and I would recommend following the BACS and BSBA CIS degree entirely. There really isn't a downside as you only need to take about 5 courses extra. The reason is, you have 24 credit difference in the AOS - the BSBA has the professional business requirements and the CS has other Computer Science/Math requirements, and that's the end of the story... Easy right?!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • LevelUP, Pikachu
So it's very strange - I am just rereading the actual link for the TESU Aware of Degrees Policy that HE sent me within his email. I'm sure that most of you are very familiar with this page:

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...of-Degrees

Anyhow, there is definitely a section on getting a 2nd TESU degree if you already have one, so that implies AFTER the initial one is awarded. However, there is very clearly spelled out the following paragraph:

"First Simultaneous Associate or Baccalaureate Degrees

Students who desire to have two different Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study. In addition, all requirements for both degrees must be satisfied.
Students who desire to have two different Thomas Edison State University associate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 12 credits that are different in the second degree's option. In addition, all requirements for both degrees must be satisfied.
In both cases, the degrees earned must be different degrees, not just a different/additional area of study. For one degree with two areas of study/options, refer to the Two Areas of Study within One Degree policy"

So this is pretty darn clearn, to me at least. And I did read this two weeks ago when I first started looking at this wiki plan. "Two different degrees ... in the same graduation cycle."
It's weird that a Academic Advising Supervisor would not know this.

Again, anyone have any thoughts or experiences? 
(08-18-2022, 11:00 AM)scottlefoll Wrote: Again, anyone have any thoughts or experiences? 

Follow rachel83az's recommendation in this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid374892
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(08-18-2022, 10:49 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Advising is correct, you need 24 different credits in the second degree, you can have 9 credits overlapping in the AOS and I would recommend following the BACS and BSBA CIS degree entirely.  There really isn't a downside as you only need to take about 5 courses extra.  The reason is, you have 24 credit difference in the AOS - the BSBA has the professional business requirements and the CS has other Computer Science/Math requirements, and that's the end of the story... Easy right?!

I wasn't really confused about the 24 credits, but rather that the Advising Supervisor was saying that the two degrees CANNOT  be earned or worked on concurrently but must be done one after the other. In fact, he pointedly said that I must wait to begin work on the 2nd until the first is awarded.

I don't think he is correct, according to Rachel, and their own policy on getting two degrees simultaneously, "awarded in the same graduation cycle."
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottlefoll's post:
  • carrythenothing
scottlefoll Wrote:I wasn't really confused about the 24 credits, but rather that the Advising Supervisor was saying that the two degrees CANNOT  be earned or worked on concurrently but must be done one after the other. In fact, he pointedly said that I must wait to begin work on the 2nd until the first is awarded.

I don't think he is correct, according to Rachel, and their own policy on getting two degrees simultaneously, "awarded in the same graduation cycle."

@scottlefoll,  He isn't correct with that sentence in regards to getting the first degree and then getting the second degree after the first one has been conferred.  Rachel83Az and the catalog mentions simultaneously completed degrees and that is the way things should go.  TESU is unique, they allow two degrees awarded at the same time, not many others do, they require you to complete one at a time.  

Hmm, I would follow the wiki dual degree plan, I casually messaged LevelUP one weekend and asked him to create the WIKI/thread in regards to completing both the BSBA CIS & BACS as I foresee this being advisable as only 5 courses added to a plan will grant a second degree, it's hard to beat for ROI/Value!

I am not here to defend the academic advisor and his acumen/work ethic, but if he works for multiple universities, he's basically telling you what many would say and advise. Complete the first degree requirements first, then work on the second degree requirements.  This is because you want to at least have one degree completed instead of half way on both.  

COSC/Excelsior, PUG, UMPI/WGU and many others we talk about does not allow you to complete concurrent degrees.  TESU is an exception, I am one and probably the main person on this board and the sister board who actively promote completing two associates/two bachelors at TESU simultaneously.  You get two degrees for cheap, easy, fast and the added ROI/Value.

Finally, by reading "(Even though you are not technically starting the second degree, you are earning credits which would apply to the second degree.  For example, we wouldn’t make you repeat General Education courses, such as SOS-110)."  It seems like he was pointing to the fact that you complete requirements for one degree and work on the requirements for the second degree afterwards.  

Again, who knows, but that was how I read it previously.  Sometimes when I want to type as much details and information as possible, the words I want to type out doesn't come out completely the way I want it to.  My brain and typing speed is on different frequencies and my sentences sometimes are missing words or points.  Further to that, I want to be compact, concise, and to the point, the advisor may have missed a sentence or two, I do that often!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • LevelUP, lucillegyl, Pikachu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,342 Yesterday, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 528 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 455 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 480 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 260 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,234 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 376 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 279 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27