Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Catalog Extension
Has anyone ever tried TESU's 'catalog extension' as an alternative to taking a class? Did it work out for you?

I don't want to take a 'throwaway' TECEP because there isn't anything that fits into my degree plan... and i am not a great test taker... 

thank you

link to catalog extension form given to me by my advisor:
https://campussuite-storage.s3.amazonaws...n_form.pdf
(05-14-2019, 12:24 PM)saraholson Wrote: Has anyone ever tried TESU's 'catalog extension' as an alternative to taking a class? Did it work out for you?

I don't want to take a 'throwaway' TECEP because there isn't anything that fits into my degree plan... and i am not a great test taker... 

thank you

link to catalog extension form given to me by my advisor:
https://campussuite-storage.s3.amazonaws...n_form.pdf

According to the form it appears to be you would like to take a year off where you won't have access to TESU and their services. Basically taking time off school.

Just take a TECEP to secure your enrollment and catalog. Or if you haven't and need to as part of your degree take SOS-110 there are no pre-requisites to it or if you are on the old TES-100 option take that ASAP. Taking just TES-100 or SOS-110 will secure your enrollment for a year.
(05-14-2019, 04:10 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 12:24 PM)saraholson Wrote: I don't want to take a 'throwaway' TECEP because there isn't anything that fits into my degree plan... and i am not a great test taker... 

Just take a TECEP to secure your enrollment and catalog. Or if you haven't and need to as part of your degree take SOS-110 there are no pre-requisites to it or if you are on the old TES-100 option take that ASAP. Taking just TES-100 or SOS-110 will secure your enrollment for a year.

The OP JUST SAID that she didn't want to take a TECEP; she may also be in a catalog where SOS-110 or TES-100 isn't needed.

I would actually call TESU and make sure that this still works, and that it's as simple as they say.

The other thing to be aware of; I would transfer in EVERYTHING you've done, so that it gets put on your eval.  Once they put something on the eval, they don't normally remove it even if they change policies (so for example, if you took a course that was considered UL by TESU, and they decide to downgrade it, if you had taken it and it was on your eval as UL, they wouldn't change it to LL - the new policy for that course is for anyone who brings it in going forward).

You also still need to make sure that you stay on this forum, and stay up-to-date on everything that happens.  You will want to know if there are any changes you should be aware of.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-14-2019, 05:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 04:10 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 12:24 PM)saraholson Wrote: I don't want to take a 'throwaway' TECEP because there isn't anything that fits into my degree plan... and i am not a great test taker... 

The OP JUST SAID that she didn't want to take a TECEP; she may also be in a catalog where SOS-110 or TES-100 isn't needed.

I would actually call TESU and make sure that this still works, and that it's as simple as they say.

The other thing to be aware of; I would transfer in EVERYTHING you've done, so that it gets put on your eval.  Once they put something on the eval, they don't normally remove it even if they change policies (so for example, if you took a course that was considered UL by TESU, and they decide to downgrade it, if you had taken it and it was on your eval as UL, they wouldn't change it to LL - the new policy for that course is for anyone who brings it in going forward).

You also still need to make sure that you stay on this forum, and stay up-to-date on everything that happens.  You will want to know if there are any changes you should be aware of.

Dfrecore, thank you so much for the valuable suggestions. I have had them pre-plan all my courses aside from one, and i will request that shortly. I guess my worry is that some of the courses that have been preplanned and approved by my advisor might get downgraded in the future, and if i hadn't actually TAKEN them yet, then i would be up the creek. 

I guess I could take a TECEP just to stay enrolled, even if it's a course i don't need. I am guessing the upper level TECEPs are pretty difficult? I looked again, and i actually could slot in the Managerial Communications one. but i see there is an essay for it. What is SOS-110 supposed to be? 

I don't need TES-100 as I already took it in Oct 2018 (my enrollment would end this year in Oct if i do not renew), and i do not see a SOS-110 on the current TECEP list:
https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

I took Study.com Business 109: Intro to Computing, which transferred into TESU as COS-101. I looked at the TECEP page and i see that the Computer Concepts and Applications course is listed as CIS-107. I wonder if i could take that one and just use it as a gen ed elective, since it has a different code at the school?
That's good you still have until October to decide what you are going to do. Or if you are close enough finish your whole degree before October. I thought you had to decide more quickly.
Maybe you can be ready to start the Capstone by then, and then grab the last few Study.com courses after?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I feel the UL are definitely hard compared to LL, but it depends on the exam. I felt the ones with writing were generally easier than the ones without, since you could get partial credit.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • saraholson
(05-14-2019, 06:08 PM)davewill Wrote: Maybe you can be ready to start the Capstone by then, and then grab the last few Study.com courses after?

I paid annually for my study membership so if i take 3 months off to do the capstone i will lose 6 exams :/  no pauses available on the annual plan
(05-14-2019, 05:53 PM)saraholson Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 05:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would actually call TESU and make sure that this still works, and that it's as simple as they say.

Dfrecore, thank you so much for the valuable suggestions. I have had them pre-plan all my courses aside from one, and i will request that shortly. I guess my worry is that some of the courses that have been preplanned and approved by my advisor might get downgraded in the future, and if i hadn't actually TAKEN them yet, then i would be up the creek. 

I guess I could take a TECEP just to stay enrolled, even if it's a course i don't need. I am guessing the upper level TECEPs are pretty difficult? I looked again, and i actually could slot in the Managerial Communications one. but i see there is an essay for it. What is SOS-110 supposed to be? 

I don't need TES-100 as I already took it in Oct 2018 (my enrollment would end this year in Oct if i do not renew), and i do not see a SOS-110 on the current TECEP list:

I took Study.com Business 109: Intro to Computing, which transferred into TESU as COS-101. I looked at the TECEP page and i see that the Computer Concepts and Applications course is listed as CIS-107. I wonder if i could take that one and just use it as a gen ed elective, since it has a different code at the school?

Having things pre-planned isn't enough - policies can change, and if you haven't taken something, then how they accept it could change.  Whether you put your enrollment on hold, or take a TECEP to stay enrolled, it doesn't matter - you will still only be able to lock in courses that you've already taken.

When I said on your eval, I meant courses that were transferred in, not anything pre-planned.  That can change - ask anyone who planned a course that was later downgraded in ACE.  TESU will not lock in planned courses forever, meaning if something happens in the meantime (like ACE says the course is no longer UL), then you're out of luck.

I would not think that taking a TECEP will do anything more for you than putting your enrollment on hold.  Both keep you on your catalog (meaning requirements won't change), but neither will do anything for future courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • pws
(05-14-2019, 07:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 05:53 PM)saraholson Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 05:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would actually call TESU and make sure that this still works, and that it's as simple as they say.

Having things pre-planned isn't enough - policies can change, and if you haven't taken something, then how they accept it could change.  Whether you put your enrollment on hold, or take a TECEP to stay enrolled, it doesn't matter - you will still only be able to lock in courses that you've already taken.

When I said on your eval, I meant courses that were transferred in, not anything pre-planned.  That can change - ask anyone who planned a course that was later downgraded in ACE.  TESU will not lock in planned courses forever, meaning if something happens in the meantime (like ACE says the course is no longer UL), then you're out of luck.

I would not think that taking a TECEP will do anything more for you than putting your enrollment on hold.  Both keep you on your catalog (meaning requirements won't change), but neither will do anything for future courses.

A-ha. Well, something to think about!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 766 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 237 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,163 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy