Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Computer Science - One University Course Needed
(06-11-2021, 12:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 12:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You want to email academic advising what you're trying to do and see if it's allowed.  Ask exactly those questions, how will the credits play if you're going for a second degree and how are the RA requirements settled.  If your RA requirements were met with community college credits previously for the general education, you should be good for both degrees.  You need to get confirmation from them, furthermore, it may contain more info in the "notes" field of your evaluation, they usually indicate what is required and your next steps there.  So that is why I mentioned to copy/paste or pdf/screenshot your evaluation, just remove the personal details.

Yes, if you already had 30cr of RA for your last degree, I don't think you need another 30cr of RA?  You just need to have 30cr of RA total, ever, if I am thinking it through correctly.

I'm still noodling this through.  When you go for a first degree at TESU, all of your RA credits must apply to the degree.  I've seen hundreds of transcripts from them, so I've seen this to be the case.  Let's say you take Elementary Algebra t your CC - TESU will not bring that in since they consider it developmental, so those credits won't count.  Same if you have more than 8cr of PE.  Or if you took HVAC repair (or anything considered a free elective), anything over 27cr for the BALS or greater than 6cr in the BSBA won't count.  The credits must apply to the degree.

So, for a 2nd degree, I'm wondering how they would handle this.  If your first degree had 30cr already, then maybe it's just a "checkbox" kind of thing - "yep, he has 30cr of RA already" or something along those lines.  But if your first degree did not?  Not sure.

But I definitely want to see what they do with a 2nd degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-11-2021, 12:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 12:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You want to email academic advising what you're trying to do and see if it's allowed.  Ask exactly those questions, how will the credits play if you're going for a second degree and how are the RA requirements settled.  If your RA requirements were met with community college credits previously for the general education, you should be good for both degrees.  You need to get confirmation from them, furthermore, it may contain more info in the "notes" field of your evaluation, they usually indicate what is required and your next steps there.  So that is why I mentioned to copy/paste or pdf/screenshot your evaluation, just remove the personal details.

Yes, if you already had 30cr of RA for your last degree, I don't think you need another 30cr of RA?  You just need to have 30cr of RA total, ever, if I am thinking it through correctly.

I'm still noodling this through.  When you go for a first degree at TESU, all of your RA credits must apply to the degree.  I've seen hundreds of transcripts from them, so I've seen this to be the case.  Let's say you take Elementary Algebra t your CC - TESU will not bring that in since they consider it developmental, so those credits won't count.  Same if you have more than 8cr of PE.  Or if you took HVAC repair (or anything considered a free elective), anything over 27cr for the BALS or greater than 6cr in the BSBA won't count.  The credits must apply to the degree.

So, for a 2nd degree, I'm wondering how they would handle this.  If your first degree had 30cr already, then maybe it's just a "checkbox" kind of thing - "yep, he has 30cr of RA already" or something along those lines.  But if your first degree did not?  Not sure.

I am wondering the same thing myself.

I think it could go either way.

See this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nd-Degrees
(06-11-2021, 03:36 PM)natshar Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 12:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I am wondering the same thing myself.

What BJ said is absolutely 100% is NOT correct.

I am looking at a 2nd degree eval dated 7/13/18 (so prior to the change requiring 30cr RA) for a BSBA degree.  
It says "Semester hours required: 60.00"
GE says (Waived) in bold purple
It lists
Statistics
College Algebra
the core (36cr)
the AoS (18cr)
Free Electives says (Waived) in bold purple

So I'm assuming for the OP, who wants a CompSci degree, it's going to list:
Semester hours required: 39.00
GE (Waived)
Required courses (21cr)
CompSci Electives (18cr)
Free Electives (Waived)

So the question is going to be: how do they look at a 2nd degree where you want all of the credits to be ACE (except the capstone obviously)?

I'm going to guess that they let you max out ACE (up to 90cr) and THEN they apply the RA rule - so someone who has a previous degree with 30cr of RA will be fine.  It's anyone who has less than 30cr of RA that wants a 2nd degree that will be an issue.  I'm guessing that's not going to apply to many people though.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-11-2021, 12:22 PM)LoanGunman Wrote: HI, I wanted to give you a quick update. I spoke to TESU advising this morning and the way second bachelors credits were explained to me is this: 24 new credits must be taken for a second bachelors, RA requirements carry over from previous courses and can be satisfied without taking any additional RA credits if your first degree has 27 RA credits included. If not the delta of RA credits must be taken within the new degree, but it is not required to take new RA credit within the area of study. Additionally, they confirmed that BJ is correct in his statement that my WGU credits may qualify for elective credits and would satisfy the RA requirements.

Thanks, that's what I thought would happen. They haven't updated their website with the RA requirements for the second degree, so technically, it still remains valid until the next "catalog year". Hopefully they don't change that either.... But each scenario is going to differ, it all depends on what courses are in your "other field".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-11-2021, 04:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 03:36 PM)natshar Wrote: I am wondering the same thing myself.

I am looking at a 2nd degree eval dated 7/13/18 (so prior to the change requiring 30cr RA) for a BSBA degree.  
It lists
Statistics
College Algebra
the core (36cr)
the AoS (18cr)

GE (Waived)
Required courses (21cr)
CompSci Electives (18cr)
Free Electives (Waived)

So the question is going to be: how do they look at a 2nd degree where you want all of the credits to be ACE (except the capstone obviously)?

I'm going to guess that they let you max out ACE (up to 90cr) and THEN they apply the RA rule - so someone who has a previous degree with 30cr of RA will be fine.  It's anyone who has less than 30cr of RA that wants a 2nd degree that will be an issue.  I'm guessing that's not going to apply to many people though.

Thank you for noticing my post, I'm confused what % is incorrect? I'm not even sure how helpful this post is, are you providing advice to the user or asking more questions?  Maybe I just don't get what's happening here...

Post #20 answered the question already, I am.  If you missed it, please read that first before providing incorrect advice.  Thank you again for your helpful post.  I have the same questions as well, and I agree, not many people will go through this... but still, it all depends on that persons situation, if they want a second degree or not and if TESU changed the rules or not, they haven't.

I'm not the one making up the rules, it's on their website, it's status quo and yes, very unclear, in a month if there are changes, we'll see them then.  They've made changes since the first of this year, if they haven't updated the info, we're supposed to look at whatever is currently written on their site until they change it.  I don't make those up, I just relay how I view and see it.

(06-14-2021, 04:32 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 04:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 03:36 PM)natshar Wrote: I am wondering the same thing myself.

It lists
Statistics
College Algebra
the core (36cr)
the AoS (18cr)

GE (Waived)
Required courses (21cr)
CompSci Electives (18cr)
Free Electives (Waived)

Thank you for noticing my post, I'm confused what % is incorrect? I'm not even sure how helpful this post is, are you providing advice to the user or asking more questions?  Maybe I just don't get what's happening here...

Post #20 answered the question already, I am.  If you missed it, please read that first before providing incorrect advice.  Thank you again for your helpful post.  I have the same questions as well, and I agree, not many people will go through this... but still, it all depends on that persons situation, if they want a second degree or not and if TESU changed the rules or not, they haven't.

I'm not the one making up the rules, it's on their website, it's status quo and yes, very unclear, in a month if there are changes, we'll see them then.  They've made changes since the first of this year, if they haven't updated the info, we're supposed to look at whatever is currently written on their site until they change it.  I don't make those up, I just relay how I view and see it.

This was prior to my seeing TESU's response.  But what I was referring to being incorrect is the post that was linked:

"The policy for the second degree is the same, 90 Alternative Credits, 30 RA. It follows the rules for the first degree... so if you have transferred everything in from your other school, you already have close to 90 credits (depending on major - area of study). You're only subject to the 24 NEW credits and the remaining requirements for that degree..."

A 2nd degree does not follow the same rules as the first degree - it has it's own rules.  But nowhere does a 2nd degree require 120cr, so the 90/30 rule is confusing in this context.
(06-10-2021, 03:56 PM)LoanGunman Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 03:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For your first degree, did you take a course at TESU for the capstone or did you do the TECEP? Either way, are you going to be paying a waiver fee or would you rather take courses to get both RA credit and residency credit?  My suggestion is to keep everything with Study.com and skip any other provider such as StraighterLine.  

Essentially, all the courses you need for Lower Level and Upper Level are available through Study.com, with the exception of the Network TECEP.  Take the TECEP and use the Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks as a practice test for it, also pay the $25 just to take the exam for credit.  Saylor.org Link: https://www.saylor.org/credit and TECEP Link: https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=CMP-354

You just need to take another one or two Study.com Comp Sci course, for lower level credit that is not showing in the list below. BUS-104 and BUS-109 will do, they transfer into TESU as CIS-103 and COS-101 as per the transfer guide. For review, you want to see this thread for all the required courses and options for them, especially post #10: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BA-CS-BSBA-CIS

BA Comp Science LL & UL
Introduction to Programming
Data Structures
Calculus I
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture UL

BA Comp Science UL:
Systems Analysis & Design (SDC)
Database Management (SDC)
Management Information Systems (SDC)
Network Technology (TECEP)
Ooh, I didn't realize that teceps were RA credit. I took the capstone course for my first degree. I've read that the networking tecep is a real bear? Any reason you suggest taking the Saylor course for credit even though it will need to be replaced by the tecep? 

Thank you for putting all this together for me. Your comments and threads were incredibly helpful in attaining my BSBA.

You're missing one credit or I should say, one lower level course in Computer Science for the Area of Study, taking the Saylor.org exam gets you the lower level credit and also prepares you for the upper level TECEP.  You don't get duplicate course credits, but you get overlapping information.  

In hindsight, I would not bother taking the two LL - BUS-104 and BUS-109 as you don't need it, you may want to learn the material but not take the final exam though.  For Saylor.org, if you have a person to act as your proctor, such as a librarian - you can get that exam free. 

If so, I would recommend taking all 4 Saylor.org computer science courses for credit, it prepares you so much more than the two Study.com courses I just mentioned.  Link: https://www.saylor.org/credit/

(06-15-2021, 08:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 03:56 PM)LoanGunman Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 03:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For your first degree, did you take a course at TESU for the capstone or did you do the TECEP? Either way, are you going to be paying a waiver fee or would you rather take courses to get both RA credit and residency credit?  My suggestion is to keep everything with Study.com and skip any other provider such as StraighterLine.  

Essentially, all the courses you need for Lower Level and Upper Level are available through Study.com, with the exception of the Network TECEP.  Take the TECEP and use the Saylor CS402: Computer Communications and Networks as a practice test for it, also pay the $25 just to take the exam for credit.  Saylor.org Link: https://www.saylor.org/credit and TECEP Link: https://www2.tesu.edu/tecep.php?CourseCode=CMP-354

You just need to take another one or two Study.com Comp Sci course, for lower level credit that is not showing in the list below. BUS-104 and BUS-109 will do, they transfer into TESU as CIS-103 and COS-101 as per the transfer guide. For review, you want to see this thread for all the required courses and options for them, especially post #10: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-BA-CS-BSBA-CIS

BA Comp Science LL & UL
Introduction to Programming
Data Structures
Calculus I
Discrete Math
Operating Systems
Computer Architecture UL

BA Comp Science UL:
Systems Analysis & Design (SDC)
Database Management (SDC)
Management Information Systems (SDC)
Network Technology (TECEP)
Ooh, I didn't realize that teceps were RA credit. I took the capstone course for my first degree. I've read that the networking tecep is a real bear? Any reason you suggest taking the Saylor course for credit even though it will need to be replaced by the tecep? 

Thank you for putting all this together for me. Your comments and threads were incredibly helpful in attaining my BSBA.

You're missing one credit or I should say, one lower level course in Computer Science for the Area of Study, taking the Saylor.org exam gets you the lower level credit and also prepares you for the upper level TECEP.  You don't get duplicate course credits, but you get overlapping information.  

In hindsight, I would not bother taking the two LL - BUS-104 and BUS-109 as you don't need it, you may want to learn the material but not take the final exam though.  For Saylor.org, if you have a person to act as your proctor, such as a librarian - you can get that exam free. 

If so, I would recommend taking all 4 Saylor.org computer science courses for credit, it prepares you so much more than the two Study.com courses I just mentioned.  Link: https://www.saylor.org/credit/
Thanks! As always, you've been a great help. I spoke with advising again this morning and they confirmed that I will likely only need to take the BA capstone at TESU and should be able to test out of the rest, but as with everything at TESU we will have to see what happens when its actually time to submit a graduation eval. Looks like I get to be the guinea pig on this one. I will report back when things are closer to completion around the end of the year. 

Thanks again!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 223 04-25-2024, 10:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 111 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 101 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 137 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 266 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Interdisciplinary from Liberty University Hami8665 3 218 04-16-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 222 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 319 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 425 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Advice Needed. PML0924 2 166 04-01-2024, 09:22 PM