Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU, EC, COSC: Quickest & Cheapest?
With the changes that are going on with ACE/Acclaim I'm moving up my enrollment date to one of the Big 3 ASAP to not potentially lose out on my hard earned credit on my ACE transcript. I was going to wait until after I obtained all of my credits through Sophia and UL through Study.com, but here we are. I have about 35 credits completed through Sophia, TEEX, and a few other sources and would really like to graduate no later than Summer 2021.

I'm going for a simple Liberal Studies BA degree, so my question is, between TESU, COSC and EC which one would be the cheapest, but most importantly the quickest to complete?
GOAL 
University: UMPI
Degree: BLS Project Management
COMPLETED CREDITS 56/120
Rowan College @ BC | English Comp. I (3 cr.)
The Institutes | 312N-H Ethics  (2cr.)
Study.com | Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace (3 cr.)
ALEKS | College Algebra (3 cr.)
NFA | Q0118 - Community Safety Educators  (1 cr.)
TEEX | Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301 (6cr.)
Sophia | Principles of Finance, Art History II, U.S. History I, Intro. to Nutrition, Art History 1, Environmental Science, Intro to Web Development, Approaches to Studying Religion, Visual Communications, Intro. To Information Technologies, Intro. to Business, Ancient Greek Philosophy, Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict  (38 cr.)
EC doesn't let you transfer in quite as many courses as you might expect and it's a bit difficult to plan for. It's marginally cheaper than TESU but you might pay for that cost with more frustrations and having to take courses through them, raising the expected price tag by a bit. IIRC, they require 30 UL credits for a degree, which again can be difficult to get when they don't accept as many things in transfer as you might like.

COSC is the cheapest, on paper. However, they do require the 24 RA credits. Even if you get credits through TEL Learning or some other inexpensive source, that raises the cost of credits by quite a bit. Also, they do not allow you to complete the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. This drags out the time it takes to complete a degree.

TESU is the most transparent and open about what they do and do not accept. They do allow you to complete the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. However, they are absolutely awful at communication (which, to be fair, most colleges are). They may not accept your TEEX credits, at least not initially. You're going to have to argue with them there. Otherwise, check this page on the wiki for a generic BALS plan: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ge...egree_Plan Once TESU has evaluated your credits, you can start filling in the empty slots.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
While Excelsior is difficult to plan for (as Rachel said), I believe that COSC is the most restrictive at this time. They have cut off all National College Credit Recommendation Service sources (you could say goodbye to Davar, Coopersmith, etc.). They have also cut off ACTFL language exams along with all non-partner ACE credit recommendation sources (forget about InstantCert, or anything that isn't on their incredibly small ACE partner list). On top of that, COSC has added a whole year's worth of regional college credit as a necessity. This requirement co-exists with a 30 upper level credit requirement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes openair's post:
  • Pikachu
If you want to keep your competency based acceleration, I suggest looking into UMPI YourPace. You can transfer a max of 30 ACE credits in, but the courses are all pretty straight forward and to the point. ss20ts did it, and he did 6 classes in one session. The sessions 8 weeks long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
You should just focus on your Sophia.org and so on, keep at it until you're at about 90 credits. If you want to take a look at Competency Based degree providers you can further investigate Brandman/WGU etc, for the Big 3, do a bit of research, we can advise you but it ultimately depends on you. The easiest would be TESU, I would pick them if you have Pell Grant as an option and take the required 16 credits to get rid of the residency waiver fee...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ISKBizz15
(11-17-2020, 09:11 AM)openair Wrote: While Excelsior is difficult to plan for (as Rachel said), I believe that COSC is the most restrictive at this time. They have cut off all National College Credit Recommendation Service sources (you could say goodbye to Davar, Coopersmith, etc.). They have also cut off ACTFL language exams along with all non-partner ACE credit recommendation sources (forget about InstantCert, or anything that isn't on their incredibly small ACE partner list). On top of that, COSC has added a whole year's worth of regional college credit as a necessity. This requirement co-exists with a 30 upper level credit requirement.

That's absolutely brutal.  EC took all of my Sophia, Davar, and Coopersmith credits.  Without those options, I would have drowned in a sea of assignments trying to complete my UL requirements.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • openair, Pikachu
(11-17-2020, 08:39 AM)rachel83az Wrote: EC doesn't let you transfer in quite as many courses as you might expect and it's a bit difficult to plan for. It's marginally cheaper than TESU but you might pay for that cost with more frustrations and having to take courses through them, raising the expected price tag by a bit. IIRC, they require 30 UL credits for a degree, which again can be difficult to get when they don't accept as many things in transfer as you might like.

COSC is the cheapest, on paper. However, they do require the 24 RA credits. Even if you get credits through TEL Learning or some other inexpensive source, that raises the cost of credits by quite a bit. Also, they do not allow you to complete the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. This drags out the time it takes to complete a degree.

TESU is the most transparent and open about what they do and do not accept. They do allow you to complete the capstone and cornerstone at the same time. However, they are absolutely awful at communication (which, to be fair, most colleges are). They may not accept your TEEX credits, at least not initially. You're going to have to argue with them there.  Otherwise, check this page on the wiki for a generic BALS plan: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ge...egree_Plan Once TESU has evaluated your credits, you can start filling in the empty slots.

COSC is no longer the cheapest if you don't already have 24cr of RA.  They also require that you choose a concentration, using 2 or 3 areas.

EC is cheaper than TESU, but you don't have to take any courses through them except what is required (Cornerstone, Capstone & Info Lit, total of 7cr).  They also have an UL cornerstone which makes it great to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  They have a deal where it's about $5300 to take the 7cr through them (this includes tuition and all fees), and then they have another one where if you take an additional 2 courses there (so 13cr total), then it's only $5850.  They are pretty transparent on what they bring in; they have partnership agreements with SL, Sophia & Study.com so it's easy to figure out.  They will also accept NA credits.  They've recently gotten rid of their depths requirement - meaning you can get your credits in anything that's a liberal studies course.  BUT, a big bonus here - you can choose 1 or 2 Area of Focus', meaning you can do 21cr in a single area (like Psych, History, Business, etc.) and do 6cr UL and 15cr LL, and it will be put on your transcript.  They also have the option of a BA or BS in Liberal Arts, so if you have a lot of Free Electives (like Business or Nursing or Pharmacology or Welding, etc.) then you can have up to 60cr of those.

TESU is still the easiest I think, with only the 18cr of UL required.  But the flexibility is going to cost you...

I would say that at this point, it really depends on what you already have as to which way you should go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ISKBizz15, openair

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 926 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 838 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,155 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,234 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,066 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS) xicovu 17 1,521 09-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 928 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  The cheapest 3-credit Calculus II online course? nomaduser 20 4,625 07-29-2022, 02:23 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Workload at Excelsior & TESU clarissa23 4 1,083 06-15-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BACS v.s. SNHU BSCS npvn2 25 3,870 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: npvn2