Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU General Education Course Options
So far, I've been following the TESU General Requirements almost verbatim, however, I'm finding a few courses that I would like to take, and I'm not sure if they would be accepted in some categories. There are two things that I'm trying to figure out:
  • First, do the courses in the categories, such as with Information Literacy, need to be exactly as those listed by TESU? For example, Experimental Psychology (PSY-322) can be used for the Information Literacy requirement. I'd much rather take Study.com's Psychology of Personality (PSY-352). Would that work?
  • Secondly, I'm not too sure with the numbering. For example, for the Diversity Intercultural Literacy requirement, you can take Elements of Intercultural Communication (COM-335). Study.com has Diversity and Intercultural Communication (COM301), however, in the TESU-Study.com table, it equates to Introduction to Intercultural Communication (COM-131). Since the Study.com course equates to a 131 course, compared to the 335 course listed by TESU, would it still be possible to use that course? Is the numbering important?
I can't speak from specific experience on either of these, but I would be surprised if PSY-352 would work for Info Lit
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
One thing you want to be aware of is, which catalog year you belong under. If you're on the 2019a catalog year, you must do the SOS-110 course for Information Literacy. If you are under the 2018/2019 year, you can take course that are not showing under each heading, you need to verify by emailing advising if the course you want will fill the slot you want.

In regards to the numbering, it is just a reference to LL or UL when it transfers into TESU. If the course is not in the AOS, you shouldn't worry about the LL/UL designation. Again, you should email advising to verify with them. January 2019 and after: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lewis.Yim's post:
  • pws
(04-03-2019, 07:13 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I can't speak from specific experience on either of these, but I would be surprised if PSY-352 would work for Info Lit

I spoke with advising last week and they confirmed that PSY-352 will not fulfill Info Lit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hallk33's post:
  • pws
For Information Literacy, the only course that TESU accepts now is SOS-110 (which cannot be transferred in) unless you enrolled before January 2019 and your academic evaluation shows you are on the old TES-100 cornerstone. In which case there are several options you can take, but I recommend the Study.com Information Literacy course or the Intro to Religions course.

For the Diversity Intercultural Literacy requirement, the TESU courses are recommended include:
  • ANT-101: Introduction to Anthropology
  • COM-335: Elements of Intercultural Communication
  • GLB-301: Global Issues in Society
  • GOG-230: World Geography
  • HEA-305: Women's Health
  • HEA-306: Men's Health
  • HIS-126: World History from 1600 to Present
  • HIS-210: American Civil Rights Movement
  • HIS-261: Introduction to Chinese History and Culture
  • HIS-301: African History and Culture
  • HIS-306: African American History
  • LDR-422: Leadership in a Global Environment
  • MAN-372: International Management
  • POS-282: Introduction to Comparative Politics
  • POS-315: International Relations
  • POS-420: Conflict in International Relations
  • PSY-270: Psychology of Women
  • REL-275: An Introduction to Islam
  • REL-405: World Religions
  • REL-406: Eastern Religions
  • REL-407: Western Religions
  • SOC-101: Introduction to Sociology
  • SOC-210: Marriage and the Family
  • SOC-322: Cultural Diversity in the United States
That said, any course that comes into TESU as one of those courses, or a similar course will likely fit this requirement. For this, I took the Study.com Intro to Sociology course, but a whole slew of GenEd courses will fulfill this requirement.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • pws
(04-03-2019, 06:58 PM)pws Wrote: So far, I've been following the TESU General Requirements almost verbatim, however, I'm finding a few courses that I would like to take, and I'm not sure if they would be accepted in some categories. There are two things that I'm trying to figure out:
  • First, do the courses in the categories, such as with Information Literacy, need to be exactly as those listed by TESU? For example, Experimental Psychology (PSY-322) can be used for the Information Literacy requirement. I'd much rather take Study.com's Psychology of Personality (PSY-352). Would that work?
  • Secondly, I'm not too sure with the numbering. For example, for the Diversity Intercultural Literacy requirement, you can take Elements of Intercultural Communication (COM-335). Study.com has Diversity and Intercultural Communication (COM301), however, in the TESU-Study.com table, it equates to Introduction to Intercultural Communication (COM-131). Since the Study.com course equates to a 131 course, compared to the 335 course listed by TESU, would it still be possible to use that course? Is the numbering important?

You have posted 2 UL courses in two of your threads so far for LL requirements. Usually, 300 and up coded courses are UL, so you are wasting your time contemplating taking them for LL requirements.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(04-04-2019, 08:05 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: You have posted 2 UL courses in two of your threads so far for LL requirements. Usually, 300 and up coded courses are UL, so you are wasting your time contemplating taking them for LL requirements.

I'll probably do World Religions for the Information Literacy requirement, but the Diversity course is out of personal interest in the material.
(04-04-2019, 08:19 AM)pws Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 08:05 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: You have posted 2 UL courses in two of your threads so far for LL requirements. Usually, 300 and up coded courses are UL, so you are wasting your time contemplating taking them for LL requirements.

I'll probably do World Religions for the Information Literacy requirement, but the Diversity course is out of personal interest in the material.

if you are in the 2019 catalogue as previously mentioned, you need to do the new SOS cornerstone course which fulfills info lit.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
If you're in the previous catalog, then TESU is fairly picky with the Info Lit requirement - you have to stick to the courses listed. There are several that aren't hard to find.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • pws

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 8 515 2 minutes ago
Last Post: PLEX
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 6 109 11 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,563 Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 611 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 532 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 273 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,326 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 250 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 402 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az