Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TESU PLA 101 – Portfolio Assessment Course (NJ Residents)
Hey, just came across this, it's a first come/first served free course to get your portfolio assessment! 
Here's the TESU Link: PLA-101 | Degree Completion (tesu.edu)
And of course, TESU Brochure: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/f...-flier.pdf
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle, Pach, ThePA
Hi guys I recently received this email offering a scholarship.

TESU students such as yourself can use these scholarship funds for TESU’s new portfolio assessment program: PLA 101 – Portfolio Assessment Course, and earn up to 15 credits of prior learning. Students will earn 3 credits for successful completion of PLA 101 itself, and up to 12 credits of prior learning credit through their various portfolio development projects.

Link

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
Yeah, I got it a few days before you did I guess... I've merged the two threads. It's actually for NJ residents I believe...

(05-01-2023, 10:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, I got it a few days before you did I guess... I've merged the two threads.  It's actually for NJ residents I believe...

BJCHEUNG77,
Yeah I emailed the NJ plan information line a few days ago and they said it is a NJ resident initiative to create more college graduated in New Jersey. So only for those who live in NJ.
I noticed that beginning with the June term only the 3 credit 12 week PLA 101 is being offered, and PLA-100 and PLA-200 are not available. Does anyone know if they have done away with this? That would make it more difficult to attain that 16th residency credit for those not paying the waiver.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kones's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
Hmm... Anyone participate in this? 15 credits for just the costs of 1 course, put this part of your flat rate and it's free for a whopping 30 credits, RA at that too! This would be the new "TESU hack"... Basically, I asked about more details and this is what I got:

Unfortunately, funds from the scholarship program ran out and the program ended on Tuesday, September 12, 2023. If you are still interested in PLA-1010 and Portfolio Assessment, you may certainly still partake, the cost just won’t be covered by the scholarship program. PLA-1010 is charged as a regular online course.

Per Credit Rate for PLA 1010:
New Jersey Residents: $419 per credit
Out-of-State Residents $545 per credit

*Within PLA 1010, students may earn up to 12 credits of portfolio assessment at no additional cost.
Portfolios are not registered until completed and uploaded, and registration is requested through the PLA office.

Please let me know if you would like to proceed and if you would like me to still move forward with approval of the desired courses.

Best,

$419 and $545 is a lot per credit. You can take classes elsewhere for less $$$.
$419 * 3 = $1257 / 15 credits (3 for the class + 12 portfolio) = $83.80 per credit.

$545 * 3 = $1635 / 15 credits = $109 per credit.

TECEPs are cheaper for both in-state and out of state persons. The only way this makes sense, IMO, is if PLA-1010 is taken as part of a flat-rate term that the student was going to take anyway. If done that way, students could theoretically get 27 credits for $3319 or $4299. That's still kind of expensive, but not terrible. Add another TECEP to get to 30 credits.

Still not a great price, either way, but plenty of students take the flat-rate term anyway.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Flat rate is what I mentioned earlier and it's 30 credits without another TECEP added. This is how I would do it, Cornerstone/Capstone plus 3 e-packs for 15. PLA-1010, plus 12 pla credits for the other 15 credits. All 30 credits in one term for the mentioned in-state or out-of-state flat rate term... Not too bad if you can get it all done in that time frame, it's going to be a lot of work I tell you...

Actually, scratch that, taking a TECEP as mentioned by Rachel83AZ would be cheaper than taking the PLA-1010 by itself... That will get you the 30 RA credits as an option. I would do the TECEP first, then take the cornerstone/capstone, plus the PLA-1010 along with two e-packs. This is like doing 3 courses (PLA plus corner/cap), 2 extra classes or exams (any e-pack or easy courses you want to take), but getting 27 credits instead of 15.

But students aren't allowed to take 18 credits in a term, generally. 15 credits + PLA 1010 for a flat rate term would be 18.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch