Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU: Study.com alternates?
I've just applied for TESU for a B.A. in Psychology, and they're going to talk to me about what courses I need to take once they get my transcript. I currently have an A.A.

The issue is, I have a severe learning disability that prevents me from being able to write essays. It took me 7 years to get my A.A. because of this. For the TESU Psych degree plan I was looking at, it required a lot of courses from Study.com that have research paper assignments, and I will not be able to complete those.

Are there alternate tests/websites I can use to avoid these Study.com courses with essay requirements? This is the degree plan I was looking at. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...1376215530
If you want to avoid essays, you're going to want to sign up for two UExcels RIGHT NOW. They're going away very soon, unfortunately. See this thread for details: http://degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Excel...This-month

The two UExcels you want to take are "Social Psychology" and "Psychology of Adulthood & Aging". You can use Coopersmith for the other UL credits (no essays, just exams). LL SDC courses do NOT have assignments. They're only exams. Instead of that spreadsheet, make your own based on the degree plans here:

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-08-2022, 03:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want to avoid essays, you're going to want to sign up for two UExcels RIGHT NOW. They're going away very soon, unfortunately. See this thread for details: http://degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Excel...This-month

The two UExcels you want to take are "Social Psychology" and "Psychology of Adulthood & Aging". You can use Coopersmith for the other UL credits (no essays, just exams). LL SDC courses do NOT have assignments. They're only exams. Instead of that spreadsheet, make your own based on the degree plans here:

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Thank you for the information <3 Unfortunately, I'm about to go away for 2 months and will not be able to take those UExcel courses in time. Is there any other way I would be able to take them, such as through TESU's exams? Or is Study.com the only option after this?
@OP, waterv1 - I reviewed your previous thread but it didn't have all the info I was looking for in the template, will a BALS with Psych or Social Science concentration do for you instead? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ms-to-take , can you copy/paste the bulk of the template info including the last post addendum below?  

Further to that, you may want to decide on residency requirements at TESU - paying the residency waiver fee is most likely your best bet, or going for the E-Packs, they have a few courses that are e-packs which are expensive options of TECEP exams.  The more info you provide us from this template, the better: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

There are several Psychology Epacks from their list: TESU E-Packs
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For Social Psychology, it's a bit iffy. TESU recently changed its requirements for that section. It's possible that you could take SDC's Psychology 104: Social Psychology + the Psychology of Gender TECEP, but TESU may expect UL credit there. So you'd possibly be stuck with either the UL SDC course "Psychology of Personality" or the TESU Social Psych course.

For Psychology of Adulthood & Aging, that one's because you need at least 15 UL credits within the entire AOS (plus the capstone, for a total of 18 credits). Without SDC, it can be difficult to meet that requirement. Not impossible, though it'll be even more difficult without the UExcels.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-08-2022, 03:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, waterv1 - I reviewed your previous thread but it didn't have all the info I was looking for in the template, will a BALS with Psych or Social Science concentration do for you instead? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ms-to-take , can you copy/paste the bulk of the template info including the last post addendum below?  

Further to that, you may want to decide on residency requirements at TESU - paying the residency waiver fee is most likely your best bet, or going for the E-Packs, they have a few courses that are e-packs which are expensive options of TECEP exams.  The more info you provide us from this template, the better: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

There are several Psychology Epacks from their list: TESU E-Packs

Here are the classes that constitute my A.A. from SUNY Empire:

ENGL 100: 3
BIOL 1002: 4
MATH 1040: 4
JAPN 115: 4
ART 100: 3
ARTS 099: 2
ART 120: 1
HIST 116: 3
PSY 129: 4 (D grade, not accepted in A.A.)
ARTS 240: 3
ENGL 260: 3
EDU 224: 3
HIST 3330: 4
EDST 3050: 2
EDST 3037: 2
EDST 3040: 2
INDS 3TR: 4 (D grade, not accepted in A.A.)
200 level US History Course: 3
200 level Science course: 3
100 level Art course: 4
100 level Art course: 4
CLEP, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature: 3
Degree Planning Course: 4 (not sure if this counts for anything)

I hope this is helpful; forums are a bit confusing to me.
um... you pretty much copy/pasted the info we already know from the previous thread.  You need to provide us info on the second link I sent you, especially the addendum as it will tell us more details.  Essentially, that info will prompt us to recommend either the Big 3 alternative test out options or recommend competency based education options.  Repeating the details in your other thread doesn't really help with "extra" info to fill the bigger picture...

(06-08-2022, 05:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: um... you pretty much copy/pasted the info we already know from the previous thread.  You need to provide us info on the second link I sent you, especially the addendum as it will tell us more details.  Essentially, that info will prompt us to recommend either the Big 3 alternative test out options or recommend competency based education options.  Repeating the details in your other thread doesn't really help with "extra" info to fill the bigger picture...

My apologies, I was confused!

Degree: I want to work in the Education field, but Psychology seems like a good adjacent degree to pursue that goal. I feel like it will look good on a resume, and I am interested in the subject matter. 
Budget: Not an issue; I am willing to spend what I need to to avoid essays unless it's truly exorbitant. 
Commitments: None, in September I will be able to totally commit myself to obtaining a degree.
Dedicated time to study: I am able to completely focus on obtaining my degree from September to December. 
Timeline: My most likely unrealistic goal is to complete the courses in 3 months; I already have my A.A., and I am very good at test-taking; I've seen people say they've gotten their B.A. in 6 months, so 3 or 4 months seemed achievable as long as I have a plan to follow.
Basically... What part of education? Teaching internationally to children, adults? Business or Corporate training? Will a BALS with Psych or Social Science concentration do for you instead? Are you planning to go into grad school? Having test taking skills are good, however, having said that, you need "writing", in fact lots of writing!

This is what I am very confused about "required a lot of courses from Study.com that have research paper assignments, and I will not be able to complete those". Why can't you complete those? Can you elaborate? There are so many ways around these upper level requirements but the Cornerstone and Capstone will require that.

I'm not sure what type of Education yet; I just know I want to work with kids, and need my B.A.. I am not planning on getting a graduate degree. A Psych or Social Science concentration would be ok, but I'd rather have a full Psychology degree.

The reason I can't complete the writing assignments is because I have a learning disability that I've been diagnosed with since I was a kid, and writing is very, very difficult for me. This is why it took me 7 years to get an A.A.; I can write short-form answers, but I can't write essays. Trust me, I've shed a lot of tears and failed a lot of classes before I was able to accept that my brain just doesn't work in that way, and will never work that way. Tests are the only way that I'll be able to get a Bachelor's degree, and this is why I'm seeking advice here. I can get through Cornerstone/Capstone with help, but I will not be able to complete multiple writing assignments for each class.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 82 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 83 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 126 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 207 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 416 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 482 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,072 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 802 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 233 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP