Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU added saylor courses as LL, even though i had them pre-approved UL
My saylor transcripts finally got added onto my TESU BSBA CIS transcript evaluation. I had these courses approved in May to come in all as 300 level (in writing through emails), but they are added on my transcript at the 200 level, so now I don't meet the UL degree requirements and one is only working as an elective so I'm short 3 credits. I've emailed and called to try to find out if they'll honor how it was pre-approved and sent them the previous email conversations I have. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think they'll honor what they approved previously or am I going to have to find another UL course to take to finish my degree?
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
Were they actually in the academic eval as planned courses, or did you just have an email that said what the equivalences should be? Also, what courses are they, what were the equivalences promised and what did they come in as now? Also, were they UL or LL on ACE/NCCRS?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-22-2019, 01:56 PM)davewill Wrote: Were they actually in the academic eval as planned courses, or did you just have an email that said what the equivalences should be? Also, what courses are they, what were the equivalences promised and what did they come in as now? Also, were they UL or LL on ACE/NCCRS?

They were actually on my eval as planned. When they added them as lower level the planned ones are still there but I guess were just ignored when the courses were added. So I have them planned on my eval and I have email communication.

Here's the exact course numbers and what they were supposed to come in as:
Saylor - BUS303: Strategic Information Technology will transfer in as CIS-301 Management Information 
Saylor - CS302: Software Engineering will transfer in as CIS-351 Software Engineering 
Saylor - CS402: Computer Communications and Networks will transfer in as CMP-354 Network Technology

That's also how they show up planned on my eval (still). But now there are courses on my eval added as:
CIS-299 Special Topics Comp Info Syst (I assume this was from Saylor BUS303)
CIS-251 Software Engineering
Networking was added correctly.

So I still have the planned ones on my transcript, but now I have those LL courses as well. That 299 is an elective and lower level, so it's useless for me if it comes in like that. As it is, I'll have to find another CS UL course to meet the requirements now. I haven't heard back but I hope they'll honor what was planned.
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
Why did you wait so long to bring in the courses? Normally, especially something like this, you would take the courses and bring them in fairly quickly after taking them to lock them in.

I am wondering why they said they'd be UL, when TESU changed the equivalencies to match ACE back in Dec 2017. So really almost 6 months before you got an email, the courses had already been changed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-22-2019, 03:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why did you wait so long to bring in the courses?  Normally, especially something like this, you would take the courses and bring them in fairly quickly after taking them to lock them in.

I am wondering why they said they'd be UL, when TESU changed the equivalencies to match ACE back in Dec 2017.  So really almost 6 months before you got an email, the courses had already been changed.

I planned most of my degree at the beginning so I could schedule everything, and I completed everything in under a year. These courses were approved in May 2018 along with study.com courses and clep tests. It took me a few months to get everything done, so the Saylor ones were taken in October/November but they're just now getting added to my evaluation. Degrees normally take years to complete, I don't think from May to November is too long of a time to spend taking courses once they're planned.
Well, especially with them still in the academic eval, I think it's well worth the effort to appeal the transfer equivalencies. Make sure you take a snapshot of the way it is now (ideally you did so before as well) as it would not surprise me if advising were to remove the planned courses as soon as you ask. You may have to do to the registrar's office or the dean, and it may not work, but it's worth a try. After all, you carefully asked and planned...they shouldn't pull the rug out from under you before a year has even passed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • camjenks
(01-22-2019, 03:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Why did you wait so long to bring in the courses?  Normally, especially something like this, you would take the courses and bring them in fairly quickly after taking them to lock them in.

I am wondering why they said they'd be UL, when TESU changed the equivalencies to match ACE back in Dec 2017.  So really almost 6 months before you got an email, the courses had already been changed.

The big TESU equivalency change happened last summer. Based on my equivalency list the Saylor courses were still listed as UL up until that point so it makes sense that they'd still be considered UL by the TESU advisors in May. I assume they were reverted to match ACE shortly thereafter.

Either way, if they were pre-planned on the evaluation as UL then that should be honored. Hopefully camjenks has something that shows what the planned evaluation looked like before the courses were added as LL.

It is interesting to see that the networking course is still listed as a 300-level course when it should also be LL now. I wonder if they honored that pre-planned course but not the others?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(01-22-2019, 06:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:

The big TESU equivalency change happened last summer. Based on my equivalency list the Saylor courses were still listed as UL up until that point so it makes sense that they'd still be considered UL by the TESU advisors in May. I assume they were reverted to match ACE shortly thereafter.

Either way, if they were pre-planned on the evaluation as UL then that should be honored. Hopefully camjenks has something that shows what the planned evaluation looked like before the courses were added as LL.

It is interesting to see that the networking course is still listed as a 300-level course when it should also be LL now. I wonder if they honored that pre-planned course but not the others?

Yes, it is strange that that networking one came on correctly and the others didn't. I have multiple pdf documents of my planned evaluation and I have email chains getting the courses pre-approved. I think I was as thorough as possible when planning this because I didn't want to spend money and time on courses and then have them not count.

I did hear back yesterday. They have to email the dean to get approval to make software engineering UL even though I had it planned on my transcript since May. The Saylor Strategic Information Technology (BUS303) they said they accidentally gave me the wrong information. It's lower level and doesn't fit into the CIS area of study, so they have to email the dean and see if they can apply it to that since I had been given the wrong info. I guess they gave me the transfer equivalency for a similar study.com course instead of the saylor one, but again I have it all in writing.

I need the dean to approve both. If he only allows SE to be made UL, I'm short 3 credits in my AOS. If he keeps SE LL and approves BUS303 being in the AOS, then I'm still short on UL credits now. I'm really hoping he approves it since this was all planned and in writing, but we'll see. I'm really running out of money to spend on this, so another $200 is really going to be a stretch for the next few months.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 225 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Courses LevelUP 6 361 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 257 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,155 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP